Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 07:05 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,544,078 times

Advertisements

I disagree with this. It's classic monkey see, monkey do (only because the NBA is doing it).
If it's done at all, hopefully not, then just have 2 Canadian teams play each other.
The TV ratings in the states, against NBA games, would be no better than any other regular season game, almost embarrassing.
On the other hand, 1 Canadian game, would probably do ok on CBC.

NHL games on Christmas Day? Please, no | Freep.com | Detroit Free ...
I always felt bad for all of the people, not just the athletes, who are forced to work on a major holiday, purely for the entertainment of those of us who ...
freep.com/article/20081226/SPORTS05/81226052/0/SPORTS03 - 61k - Cached - Similar pages
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 08:41 PM

1,966 posts, read 4,350,121 times
I agree. Especially when the Lakers-Celtics game itself only drew a 3.6 rating. It's no big surprise that the NBA is tanking. The games are boring, players don't give a rip about anyone but themselves (think Stephon Marbury or Starbury).

Bettman needs to keep the NHL as it's own identity. The Winter Classic is a big ratings winner and he could capitalize on that by looking at other venues (Happy Valley is rumored for next year Pens-Flyers). The game will slowly gain more fans by this model.

Old 01-08-2009, 09:44 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,362,866 times
The only down-side to the Winter Classic is that our family tradition always included watching the Wings play on New Year's Eve. I would not be interested in any sports on Christmas unless it is speed-gift opening!

Old 01-09-2009, 06:35 AM

1,619 posts, read 2,740,593 times
Plus who would watch the game on christmas. Christmas is supposed to be the time when we want to be with our families. Plus i think the players wouldn't want to miss their holidays playing hockey.

Old 01-09-2009, 07:14 AM

2,370 posts, read 7,773,200 times
Here's another voice saying bad idea.

Old 01-09-2009, 08:30 AM

8,991 posts, read 17,345,679 times
Why do hockey fans always throw their arms up in disgust at the thought of anything new? Why are hockey fans so afraid of evolving and trying new things for the sport? If they play on Christmas, they play on Christmas. So what? The NHL has to many "traditionalist" fans holding the sport back.

I would watch a Christmas day game.

Old 01-09-2009, 10:21 AM

1,966 posts, read 4,350,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC 38 View Post
Why do hockey fans always throw their arms up in disgust at the thought of anything new? Why are hockey fans so afraid of evolving and trying new things for the sport? If they play on Christmas, they play on Christmas. So what? The NHL has to many "traditionalist" fans holding the sport back.

I would watch a Christmas day game.
It's not that they're afraid, but they know that going head-to-head against what has been a tradition on Christmas (NBA doubleheaders) will be a losing cause for the NHL. If anything, perhaps the NHL down the road could schedule it's own Winter Classic doubleheader on New Year's Day so again it creates it's own identity and tradition.

I'd be all over that. Could you imagine Don Cherry on NBC (not that it would happen, but funny thinking about it

Old 01-09-2009, 10:47 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,372,940 times
I would watch, but I don't think it's fair to players or staff.

Old 01-09-2009, 10:55 AM

8,991 posts, read 17,345,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfinnova View Post
It's not that they're afraid, but they know that going head-to-head against what has been a tradition on Christmas (NBA doubleheaders) will be a losing cause for the NHL. If anything, perhaps the NHL down the road could schedule it's own Winter Classic doubleheader on New Year's Day so again it creates it's own identity and tradition.
Let's first be honest with ourselves. An NHL game, whether going up against the NBA on Christmas or college bowl games on New Year's Day; is going to lose the ratings and hype battle. I think staging a winter classic every New Year's Day is great; but I don't see why we can't have a game or two on Christmas night as well. If it appeases those who think it is unfair to play on the holiday, schedule the games at night, between two teams that are geographically close. NYR v NJD; PIT v. PHI; LA v. ANA for example.

Old 01-09-2009, 05:35 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,372,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC 38 View Post
NYR v NJD; PIT v. PHI; LA v. ANA
Hmmm, which of those doesn't fit....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey