Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 10:49 PM

8,981 posts, read 17,297,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Hmmm, which of those doesn't fit....
You tell me hot shot. If you want me to list EVERY pair of teams within 4 hours of each, I certainly will
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2009, 08:41 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,353,204 times
Even if only teams within 4 hours of each other played, that would still be a huge chunk of the day and/or evening away from their families. Besides travel time to and from the arena, there would need to be time to get dressed and warmed-up, 3 hours or so to play the astual game and the time needed to get back into street clothes. And it wouldn't just be for the players; everyone connected to the staging of the game would lose that amount of time more or less away from thier families too.

Old 01-10-2009, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICoastieMom View Post
Even if only teams within 4 hours of each other played, that would still be a huge chunk of the day and/or evening away from their families. Besides travel time to and from the arena, there would need to be time to get dressed and warmed-up, 3 hours or so to play the astual game and the time needed to get back into street clothes. And it wouldn't just be for the players; everyone connected to the staging of the game would lose that amount of time more or less away from thier families too.
Should we close grocery stores, gas stations, movie theaters, customer service centers, electrical grids, salt truck drivers, police officers, firefighters, doctors, emt's, tv stations, etc. on every holiday? When you go into a career field such as those listed; and professional athlete, you do so fully aware that working on holidays such as Christmas, Easter, etc. could come along with it.

Old 01-10-2009, 11:12 AM

5,152 posts, read 8,530,192 times
From what I know, the NBA does not play on New Years Day. Well, the NHL should just focus on the Winter Classic and forget Christmas for their "day in the sun". If the NHL tries to go against the NBA on Christmas day, well, what do you think the NBA is going to do in return?

Old 01-10-2009, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC 38 View Post
Should we close grocery stores, gas stations, movie theaters, customer service centers, electrical grids, salt truck drivers, police officers, firefighters, doctors, emt's, tv stations, etc. on every holiday? When you go into a career field such as those listed; and professional athlete, you do so fully aware that working on holidays such as Christmas, Easter, etc. could come along with it.
In the first place, we aren't debating any of the mentioned professions; nor are we debating closing them on any holiday other than Christmas. I do not believe that all of the above mentioned professions are necessary to be open on any holiday. Furthermore, those that are essential usually post sign-up sheets giving people, as much as possible, a choice of which holiday they would be willing to work in order to have another one off. That is the way it is at the hospitals where I have freinds and family working, and that was the policy at the firehouse where my late husband worked. And in fact, I am aware that at some hospitals, etc, where there are any number of Christian, Jewish and Muslim employees, the employees often volunteer to work tyhe shift of someone of another faith so they can have the day off. None of which would work practically for the roster of any sports team.

Old 01-10-2009, 04:45 PM

Quote:
In the first place, we aren't debating any of the mentioned professions; nor are we debating closing them on any holiday other than Christmas. I do not believe that all of the above mentioned professions are necessary to be open on any holiday. Furthermore, those that are essential usually post sign-up sheets giving people, as much as possible, a choice of which holiday they would be willing to work in order to have another one off. That is the way it is at the hospitals where I have freinds and family working, and that was the policy at the firehouse where my late husband worked. And in fact, I am aware that at some hospitals, etc, where there are any number of Christian, Jewish and Muslim employees, the employees often volunteer to work tyhe shift of someone of another faith so they can have the day off. None of which would work practically for the roster of any sports team.
So I take it the *point* of the post sailed over your head?

People in certain professions take jobs in career fields fully aware that working holidays is a possibility. Professional sports is one of those professions. In fact, the last sentence of your post illustrates perfectly why hockey players should not be immune to playing on Christmas. Should we shut down the NHL during Hanukkah or other religious holidays that are not Christian based? If we are talking about not playing a Christmas game based on not being able to maximize ad and ticket revenue; fine. But if we are talking about not playing a hockey game on Christmas because it is "unfair to the players," that is not relevant.

Old 01-10-2009, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC 38 View Post
So I take it the *point* of the post sailed over your head?
No, the "point" did not sail over my head. My point was that playing hockey or any sport on Christmas or any other holiday is not "essential" to maintaining services such as fire, police, and hospitals are. My point is that it is not only the players who would have to work, but all the support services as well, and I suspect most of them don't not make salaries comparable to those of the athletes; why should they have to give up they day off? Certainly athletes do play on many holidays and so do the support services, but none of them have the emotional aspect of being at home on Christmas.

Old 01-11-2009, 07:48 AM

Quote:
No, the "point" did not sail over my head. My point was that playing hockey or any sport on Christmas or any other holiday is not "essential" to maintaining services such as fire, police, and hospitals are. My point is that it is not only the players who would have to work, but all the support services as well, and I suspect most of them don't not make salaries comparable to those of the athletes; why should they have to give up they day off? Certainly athletes do play on many holidays and so do the support services, but none of them have the emotional aspect of being at home on Christmas.
The "support staff" would have to work on Christmas for the same reasons movie theater workers; tv/radio broadcasting workers, fast food workers, grocery/retail store workers, and gas station attendants all have to work on the holiday. You take a job at a movie theater, you know working on Christmas is a very strong possibility. It is no different if you work at Joe Louis Arena as an usher or are on the Detroit Red Wings medical staff. You take that job knowing you will have to work on holidays.

Old 01-11-2009, 08:19 AM

And see, that is the point; I don't think movie theaters, fast food, and grocery/retail stores are essential services on the holidays any more than I think watching sports is a necessity on the holidays. It is a philosophical difference on the underlying reason of holidays. You and I will have to agree to disagree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey