Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 11:29 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,580,176 times

Advertisements

European. Execpt for 2002, just about all of the top players and scorers and defensemen are, European. I just don't think it's good, in order to attract the more causal fans to hockey. It's almost like NASL on skates when you have a roster of, what 10 to 12 Europeans like Detroit does? I think it's even more.
If I'm not mistaken, the leagues in Europe have a limit of how many North Americans can be on a teams roster, so why not have the same in the NHL, like say 5 (I could even live with 10). There are plenty of North Americans playing in the AHL, would could fill those jobs and still play some top notch hockey.
Unfortunately, the NHLPA would never go for that.
I know this may belong in an already existing thread, but I just wanted to highlight it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2008, 06:02 AM

3,352 posts, read 6,698,836 times
It doesn't bother me. If the best players are in Europe and Russia, then that's where I want to go to get players.

Old 06-05-2008, 06:16 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,567,884 times
I am a sucker for an accent!!!!!!! Love them!!!

Old 06-05-2008, 06:28 AM

1,590 posts, read 4,595,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
I know this may belong in an already existing thread, but I just wanted to highlight it.
I doubt it!!

Old 06-05-2008, 06:32 AM

3,352 posts, read 6,698,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Ha! Can you imagine having to coach all these guys, many of whom speak English only as a second language? It must be tough.

A couple of games ago during a team timeout, three or four of the Swedes on the Wings team were talking in front of the bench. Mike Babcock was craning over to listen in, and he looked totally confused. After the game, a reporter asked what was being said in that little huddle. One of the players -- I think it was Holmstrom -- said they were all speaking to each other in Swedish. No wonder Babcock looked so confused!

I'm amazed to hear Lidstrom talk ... he hardly has an accent at all anymore. He almost sounds like a born and bred Midwesterner!

Old 06-05-2008, 06:38 AM

3,087 posts, read 1,081,133 times
Hockey is not alone. Look at all the Foreigners in baseball, basketball, golfs Ryder cup.What once was dominated by Americans is not anymore. The NFL is the only main American played sport anymore. Even look at the Indy 500 compared to what it used to be.

Old 06-05-2008, 06:55 AM

1,079 posts, read 2,663,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
European. Execpt for 2002, just about all of the top players and scorers and defensemen are, European. I just don't think it's good, in order to attract the more causal fans to hockey. It's almost like NASL on skates when you have a roster of, what 10 to 12 Europeans like Detroit does? I think it's even more.
If I'm not mistaken, the leagues in Europe have a limit of how many North Americans can be on a teams roster, so why not have the same in the NHL, like say 5 (I could even live with 10). There are plenty of North Americans playing in the AHL, would could fill those jobs and still play some top notch hockey.
Unfortunately, the NHLPA would never go for that.
That's just, like, your opinion, man.

I don't mind either way, to be honest. There are obviously lots of great players from North America as well as Europe. I am a little surprised that this is the first cup team with a European captain, though. I say there should be no limit on how many Europeans should be on any roster.

Old 06-05-2008, 07:05 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,387,378 times
Pul-leeze! Give me a break! Just because the Wing's organization has an eye for potential talent, and the coaching staff to help it flourish! The man who won the Conn Smythe trophey last- Henrik Zetterberg was something like the 290th draft pick! Look at Kris Draper! The Wings paid one dollar for his contract! A buck!!!!! And the careers of Joey Kocur and Darren McCarty- they were both on the way out and got a reprieve from obscurity by the Wings. How about all you naysayers ponying up and giving some credit where credit is due?!?!?

Old 06-05-2008, 08:41 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,552,449 times
I wouldn´t mind if only the best europeans stayed in the NHL it isn´t good for our leagues that so many players leave to end up in the AHL.
In Sweden they usually replace the juniorplayers who leaves too early with third rate finns or czechs.
I began watching the NHL because I like tough,physical hockey so the third and fourth lines must be occupied by north american players.
And the league also must allow them to do their job.
So get rid of the instigator and fire Bettman.

Old 06-05-2008, 08:43 AM

687 posts, read 2,041,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post

Ha! Exactly my thoughts! They have some amazing players to come out of there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey