Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 09:09 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,378,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoAdrian View Post

I'm amazed to hear Lidstrom talk ... he hardly has an accent at all anymore. He almost sounds like a born and bred Midwesterner!
No wonder after 17 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2008, 09:49 AM

5,152 posts, read 8,543,411 times
I admit, I don't mind seeing skill, like the mostly (or 1/2) European Red Wings team that won the Cup last night. Also, it does cut down on the goonery, Detroit usually is among the bottom in fighting majors. However, like I said, this is about trying to market the game and, again, European leagues have a cap on North American players. More North Americans in the NHL, the better. Someone mentioned baseball having the same problem with too many Latin players, it's hurt their connection with causal fans a little.

Old 06-05-2008, 12:02 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,362,392 times
I understand the point you are making; I don't agree with it, but I understand it. And isn't it a sad commentary on civilization that a player's ethnicity is of so much concern to the "casual fan" that it becomes a marketing issue? My feeling is make the game, whatever it is- the best it can be for the devoted fan. Some of those casual fans will be drawn in by the exictement and the love for the game. Those who aren't; I say we are better off without them.

Old 06-05-2008, 12:59 PM

2,370 posts, read 7,772,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MICoastieMom View Post
I understand the point you are making; I don't agree with it, but I understand it. And isn't it a sad commentary on civilization that a player's ethnicity is of so much concern to the "casual fan" that it becomes a marketing issue? My feeling is make the game, whatever it is- the best it can be for the devoted fan. Some of those casual fans will be drawn in by the exictement and the love for the game. Those who aren't; I say we are better off without them.
Amen to that one!!

Old 06-05-2008, 05:03 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,440,477 times
Who cares? Why all of the xenophobia???

Old 06-09-2008, 08:28 AM

3,352 posts, read 6,672,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
I admit, I don't mind seeing skill, like the mostly (or 1/2) European Red Wings team that won the Cup last night. Also, it does cut down on the goonery, Detroit usually is among the bottom in fighting majors.
That's a BIG plus in my book. Detroit was last in the league this year in time served for fighting majors. That's just not their style of hockey, and I think that trend will continue as more Europeans come into the league. Thank goodness. The fewer goons, the better. I want to see a display of skills out on the ice, not a boxing match.

Old 06-09-2008, 10:24 AM

42,006 posts, read 75,385,949 times
Wouldn't putting the best players in the world on the ice bring in fans more quickly? I don't care if they're from the Sahara ... If they can play hockey, bring 'em on!

Says the girl who melts like an ice cube at North American Marty Biron's French Canadian accent ...

Old 06-09-2008, 02:38 PM

I would actually stop watching NHL if there were anymore europeans.
I hardly watch any games as it is now.
It has become increasingly boring with all the europeans.
It´s enough with 3-5 europeans on each team.
Plus they should get out of the southern states who doesn´t care about hockey and move back to Canada.
Quebec and Winnipeg needs to get their teams back.
The NHL would be much better if it was like 20 years ago when they played fast,tough,physical hockey.
I don´t watch an NHL game to see european hockey.
I can do that at home.
The league would benefit greatly if they got rid of the instigator and fired Bettman.

Old 06-09-2008, 02:47 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,672,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
I would actually stop watching NHL if there were anymore europeans.
I hardly watch any games as it is now.
It has become increasingly boring with all the europeans.
It´s enough with 3-5 europeans on each team.
Plus they should get out of the southern states who doesn´t care about hockey and move back to Canada.
Quebec and Winnipeg needs to get their teams back.
The NHL would be much better if it was like 20 years ago when they played fast,tough,physical hockey.
I don´t watch an NHL game to see european hockey.
I can do that at home.
The league would benefit greatly if they got rid of the instigator and fired Bettman.
I think just the opposite about the Europeans. I love the emphasis on skills and finesse. There are still plenty of big checks into the boards and open-ice hits ... they just aren't the focus of the game for a team like the Wings. As for the instigator rule, it doesn't go far enough. Any player who drops the gloves should get a game misconduct. Don Cherry-style hockey is, hopefully, dying a slow and long overdue death.

Now, as far as Bettman goes, you and I agree 100%.

Old 06-09-2008, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoAdrian View Post
Any player who drops the gloves should get a game misconduct. Don Cherry-style hockey is, hopefully, dying a slow and long overdue death.
This is where we disagree.
I want a mix of fighters,players who can both fight and play and players with skills.
Look for example when Detroit had Steve Yzerman and Bob Probert playing on the same line.
This is why the semipro LNAH up in Quebec is the most entertaining hockey league in North America.
And no,they are not all about fighting,they have some skills too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey