Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2023, 12:51 PM

17,115 posts, read 15,341,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
The Twitter video I have in slow motion sure looks like he intentionally put his leg out impede someone. He wasn’t checked, zero reason he’d falling…he only fell once his kick hit the target.

Watch this video, he mentions my team I together we got him to play on. There’s about 6-7 current (Brock Boeser) and former NHL guys playing in this league. I do realize it’s roller hockey, but we all play ice too.

Side note, did you guys ever play Shattuck St Mary’s? All the top US east coast prep schools and Shattuck and a team Austria were in town for a tourney this weekend, Shattuck won championship game 13-0.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1duUxcaDqw
Looks to me like his skate blade clipped the other. I guess time will tell.

I did not play Shattuck St Mary's, but know/knew all about them. And they probably would have kicked our asses lol... Last youth season I played, we made it to the Air Canada Cup Championship, but didn't do great. From there, had to hang them up until I had time to join local beer leagues with all of the other washed up guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2023, 02:26 PM

6,538 posts, read 7,118,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Looks to me like his skate blade clipped the other. I guess time will tell.

I did not play Shattuck St Mary's, but know/knew all about them. And they probably would have kicked our asses lol... Last youth season I played, we made it to the Air Canada Cup Championship, but didn't do great. From there, had to hang them up until I had time to join local beer leagues with all of the other washed up guys.
What does one have to do to make an OHL/WHL team? What do many Canadian/Canadien kids do after high school if wanting to keep playing? Guessing demand is off the charts with how massive the sport is there? College hockey here has gained many high end Canadians. My mom is Canadian, so I’ll be getting my Canadian citizenship whenever I mail the documents in.

Old 11-07-2023, 06:33 PM

Quote:
What does one have to do to make an OHL/WHL team? What do many Canadian/Canadien kids do after high school if wanting to keep playing? Guessing demand is off the charts with how massive the sport is there? College hockey here has gained many high end Canadians. My mom is Canadian, so I’ll be getting my Canadian citizenship whenever I mail the documents in.
Unless it's changed in the past 20-25 years, it's virtually the same as club sports in the US. At Midget AAA (now 18U or something) some clubs partnered with high schools, but it was still very much treated as "Club," and my team, for instance, didn't really give off the vibe that it represented the actual school. The club was the competitor -- not so much the school if that makes sense.

"Demand" is high, but by the time kids are in Bantam leagues, those who have absolutely no chance of getting into AAA following Bantam are well aware of the situation from a while back. Generally speaking, only Bantam AA players had real hopes of getting into Midget AAA, and only Bantam AA STANDOUTS had any realistic hopes of being scouted directly into Junior Major. Which means that the vast majority of players are already practically weeded out of the talk during their second Bantam season (those not in Bantam AA, or at least the very top players in BB,) unless they somehow pull some sort of miracle out of nowhere and suddenly emerge as an top elite player. That has happened. To one guy I knew during my youth.

Pretty much anything else lower than that at that age level was strictly club, as were all of the younger league clubs that I knew of.
At higher level games, scouts were constantly present. Most players would play through the entire two or three years in the league, but some, such as Marc-Andre Fleury for instance, would impress the scouts enough from the beginning, and would land a spot on one of the teams in one of the Major Junior leagues in Canada before the season was even halfway through.
In other words, you impress the scouts during your final youth years, you get scouted, and hopefully you land in a Junior Major league, although many would end up in, say, Junior A (AAA in Quebec), just below Major. Quite a few NHL players had to go the Junior AAA route. Brent Burns comes to mind.

The guys I played with (and against) who went on to play pro (AHL or above) were practically all scouted directly from Midget AAA into Major Junior league teams. Those who weren't scouted and selected, could go to open tryouts. A lot of them did land spots on Junior Major rosters, but definitely not on the top lines. Most guys I knew didn't make it though, and either ended up in Junior AAA/A, put their pro dreams to rest and went shifted focus to a college degree, and a handful of guys I know ended up in the USA University system.

So in short... Get scouted (easier if you're in the top youth leagues, which was Midget AAA in my time, but some guys who played in the second tier leagues, such as AA (and in RARE cases, BB) or Tier two, did get scouted and offered a direct spot on a Junior Major league team.

If you were not selected by scouts, go to open tryouts.

If you don't make the cut, but still have high hopes, there is Junior AAA/A, where several pro players started, so it's still possible.

If you can't make AAA/A, chances of going anywhere are slim to none. You might later down the line be able to impress some ECHL team or something, or some weak league in Europe, but your chances of really getting anywhere worthwhile are practically non-existent.

Or you can try your shot across the border with D1 American Universities. But quite frankly, if you didn't make the cut for Junior AAA/A, you'd be very unlikely to land a spot on a good D1 school.

I was offered a spot on a Junior AAA team, but decided to pursue different goals, as I would not have been a standout star in the league, but just a "good" player, probably used as a grinder or something, and I decided for myself that my dreams of some day playing in the NHL were completely shot. I had no desire to play in ECHL, which is AT BEST where I MIGHT have ended up with a few solid Junior seasons. And looking back at that decision at this stage n my life, I still would not want to end up there. Some of my old teammates and guys I grew up playing against ended up there, and chased that NHL dream for the next 15 years, all while making awful salary, while having to live that "pro athlete" daily routine... Never made it anywhere, except for a handful that were used as subs for maybe a total of 10 games on an AHL team. That pro athlete routine is only worthwhile if it comes with a fat paycheck.

I am watching my son go through his youth soccer club career here in the US, and if you are familiar with that system, I find it to be very similar to what I experienced with hockey in Canada. If a kid is not in MLS NEXT or on an "Academy" team (also plays in MLS NEXT) by U14, his chances of going anywhere near a pro league have gotten very slim already, and are practically nonexistant if not at least in a second tier league as a top player. By U15, he can start forgetting about it. By U16, etc. etc.

Last edited by Arcenal813; 11-07-2023 at 07:06 PM..

Old 11-08-2023, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Unless it's changed in the past 20-25 years, it's virtually the same as club sports in the US. At Midget AAA (now 18U or something) some clubs partnered with high schools, but it was still very much treated as "Club," and my team, for instance, didn't really give off the vibe that it represented the actual school. The club was the competitor -- not so much the school if that makes sense.

"Demand" is high, but by the time kids are in Bantam leagues, those who have absolutely no chance of getting into AAA following Bantam are well aware of the situation from a while back. Generally speaking, only Bantam AA players had real hopes of getting into Midget AAA, and only Bantam AA STANDOUTS had any realistic hopes of being scouted directly into Junior Major. Which means that the vast majority of players are already practically weeded out of the talk during their second Bantam season (those not in Bantam AA, or at least the very top players in BB,) unless they somehow pull some sort of miracle out of nowhere and suddenly emerge as an top elite player. That has happened. To one guy I knew during my youth.

Pretty much anything else lower than that at that age level was strictly club, as were all of the younger league clubs that I knew of.
At higher level games, scouts were constantly present. Most players would play through the entire two or three years in the league, but some, such as Marc-Andre Fleury for instance, would impress the scouts enough from the beginning, and would land a spot on one of the teams in one of the Major Junior leagues in Canada before the season was even halfway through.
In other words, you impress the scouts during your final youth years, you get scouted, and hopefully you land in a Junior Major league, although many would end up in, say, Junior A (AAA in Quebec), just below Major. Quite a few NHL players had to go the Junior AAA route. Brent Burns comes to mind.

The guys I played with (and against) who went on to play pro (AHL or above) were practically all scouted directly from Midget AAA into Major Junior league teams. Those who weren't scouted and selected, could go to open tryouts. A lot of them did land spots on Junior Major rosters, but definitely not on the top lines. Most guys I knew didn't make it though, and either ended up in Junior AAA/A, put their pro dreams to rest and went shifted focus to a college degree, and a handful of guys I know ended up in the USA University system.

So in short... Get scouted (easier if you're in the top youth leagues, which was Midget AAA in my time, but some guys who played in the second tier leagues, such as AA (and in RARE cases, BB) or Tier two, did get scouted and offered a direct spot on a Junior Major league team.

If you were not selected by scouts, go to open tryouts.

If you don't make the cut, but still have high hopes, there is Junior AAA/A, where several pro players started, so it's still possible.

If you can't make AAA/A, chances of going anywhere are slim to none. You might later down the line be able to impress some ECHL team or something, or some weak league in Europe, but your chances of really getting anywhere worthwhile are practically non-existent.

Or you can try your shot across the border with D1 American Universities. But quite frankly, if you didn't make the cut for Junior AAA/A, you'd be very unlikely to land a spot on a good D1 school.

I was offered a spot on a Junior AAA team, but decided to pursue different goals, as I would not have been a standout star in the league, but just a "good" player, probably used as a grinder or something, and I decided for myself that my dreams of some day playing in the NHL were completely shot. I had no desire to play in ECHL, which is AT BEST where I MIGHT have ended up with a few solid Junior seasons. And looking back at that decision at this stage n my life, I still would not want to end up there. Some of my old teammates and guys I grew up playing against ended up there, and chased that NHL dream for the next 15 years, all while making awful salary, while having to live that "pro athlete" daily routine... Never made it anywhere, except for a handful that were used as subs for maybe a total of 10 games on an AHL team. That pro athlete routine is only worthwhile if it comes with a fat paycheck.

I am watching my son go through his youth soccer club career here in the US, and if you are familiar with that system, I find it to be very similar to what I experienced with hockey in Canada. If a kid is not in MLS NEXT or on an "Academy" team (also plays in MLS NEXT) by U14, his chances of going anywhere near a pro league have gotten very slim already, and are practically nonexistant if not at least in a second tier league as a top player. By U15, he can start forgetting about it. By U16, etc. etc.
Thank you for this. I never fully realized the Canada hockey culture until we were in Thunder Bay for my grandfather’s funeral and every tv station broadcasted the Olympic hockey team selection!! It was a huge deal.

You are spot on about the people who grind out a career in the minors. A friend/teammate was drafted by the Wings and played D1 university here and he knew the Red Wings required just about everyone to play in minors first. Played one year in ECHL and quit. Knew it was better to use his degree and get into workforce now then at 30 and no experience. A client/friend from Manitoba who played in KHL, so did his brother and when in 2018 the NHL didn’t allow players in the Olympics, his brother played for team Canada. I was expecting to see/hold a gold medal for first time, damn Germans beat them in semi’s!!!

One last story you might like, my local friend knows everyone in hockey, he’s the guy that brought Madden to our roller team. Zach Parise is a great friend of his and Parise brings him to the yearly summer skate with all the Shattuck alumni. Crosby was in town staying with Parise this summer for the Shattuck deal and friend invited me to go play roller hockey with them outside at a park. I couldn’t make it, this sucks!!! Haha. Friend got to meet/skate with McDavid this summer when he was in town filming a commercial. McDavid stayed with local guy on Oilers Bujugstad who my friend knows well. McDavid told my friend that Crosby is better than him.

Old 11-12-2023, 05:47 PM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
A skate blade would cut through a scarf.

Kids coming up through the system were full face cages and neck protectors.
I fail to see why they abandon that safety equipment when they make the pros.

A Kevlar one?

Old 11-14-2023, 03:08 PM

Petgrave was arrested on manslaughter charges today.

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/...-johnson-death

Old 11-15-2023, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Petgrave was arrested on manslaughter charges today.

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/...-johnson-death
Saw that.
I think the arrest itself was inevitable. In the end, he killed someone, regardless of intent. That’s essentially what manslaughter is. Didn’t mean to kill, but killed nonetheless. Doesn’t mean I agree with the arrest, but that’s just my opinion.
It will be interesting how this turns out. I’m particularly curious to see how the hockey world responds.

Also made me think: I wonder what would happen if a player hit his head and died during a fight, in one of those leagues specifically.

Old 11-15-2023, 06:18 AM

Quote:

Also made me think: I wonder what would happen if a player hit his head and died during a fight, in one of those leagues specifically.
Now that you mentioned that, I’m actually surprised it hasn’t already happened. Guessing the rule book pertaining that fight is legal would exempt them for any legal proceedings?

I read that a guilty manslaughter charge sentence is up to judge, anything from community service to life in prison. Life in prison person is eligible for parole in 15 years.

Old 11-18-2023, 09:07 PM

55 posts, read 41,497 times
Quote:
Suspended for a slew foot incident. Not "kicked out." He continued to play in the ECHL after that. Needless to say, his career (and life as he knew it) is over.
I don't ever want to see him playing pro again. I heard English law will be hard pressed to prove "intent". If so, all I ask is that he is banned from hockey.

Old 11-18-2023, 09:15 PM

55 posts, read 41,497 times
https://www.hockeylatest.com/Former-...eckless-300594
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey