Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 01:03 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,244,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekcat View Post
Anything beats soccer. Didn't grow up watching hockey. I have friends that have gone to Nashville to Predator games and have said, live games are so much better than TV games.
Hockey, like baseball, is a sport that translates much, much better live in person than on TV.

Incidentally for the OP, I find soccer very boring too. I'm not a huge hockey fan, but I like the sport and definitely like attending some games, especially when my NHL team, the New Jersey Devils, is playing (even though they are terrible in 2018-19).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2019, 01:10 PM

1,883 posts, read 2,522,886 times
I love Hockey, and I still say there is no better sporting event to watch than a Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Playoffs. Also, going to see a live Hockey game is the best sport to see live in my opinion. However for some reason it doesn't translate well to television and I can't understand why. With the speed of the game, the hits and the action it should be awesome television, but for some reason people just can't get into it like they do for football and basketball.

As for soccer, I keep trying to get into it, but other than the World Cup. I don't watch it. Wish I did like it more though, the different leagues and tournaments sound interesting, but I just can't seem to watch it more than fifteen minutes.

Old 02-20-2019, 04:53 PM

245 posts, read 311,741 times
I LOVE hockey, but I'm totally bored by soccer. In fact, I prefer baseball or even American football. The same goes for most of my friends.

A European soccer fan once tried to tell me that "hockey was boring." I never heard anything more irrational in my life. I played hockey so I took special exception, but I kept my mouth shut because he was my boss.

But even as a pure spectator, hockey is basically the same idea as soccer except with MORE of everything exciting: More shots, goals, speed, plus hitting and fighting (and using your arms like a normal person). And oh yeah, there are boards so a lot less out-of-bounds all the time.

The fact that more people around the world prefer soccer means nothing. Most of them would never be able to afford hockey, or it's just way too hot. I laugh at people who try to make the popularity argument, because it's like saying a McDonald's hamburger is better than a filet mignon steak just because more people can have it.

Old 02-19-2020, 04:32 PM

749 posts, read 582,063 times
I like NHL games and have never watched soccer. Soccer was never popular in my generation in midwest.

Hockey and soccer are very different. In hockey, arms and legs enable the action with stick--soccer, only legs, feet.
Hockey players excel at skating which is not easy. They make it look easy, of course, but as a former skater, I know it's amazing what they do during the game. Even minor league. The ice makes all the difference.

Last edited by carnelian; 02-19-2020 at 04:38 PM.. Reason: more info,

Old 02-21-2020, 04:44 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,399,867 times
Everything is boring compared to hockey . I still enjoy watching other sports, but I watch them differently than hockey (I get really engrossed...my kids play and I probably understand more about hockey because I’ve learned the game watching them). I don’t watch soccer, but my youngest loves it, so we will probably start and I’ll have to figure it out.

Old 02-23-2020, 06:49 PM

17,228 posts, read 15,438,332 times
Hockey is faster, but soccer is more technical (positioning is key) and endurance is a bigger factor. It’s also much more physical than many give it credit for. They’re both awesome sports, and are both similar in certain ways.
I grew up playing club hockey, and my son plays club soccer. We are huge fans of both.

Old 06-20-2020, 09:38 AM

1,992 posts, read 979,641 times
No you aren't the only one. I love hockey. I have been watching it for a long time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey