Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 04:57 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,429,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi_Mom View Post

I was hoping there would be a Wings Review when I clicked on this thread. How about another 50 win season?
You love em so much you moved 2000 miles away from em, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2008, 07:21 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,755,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
You love em so much you moved 2000 miles away from em, right?

Now, now, Steve-o. You'd be a Blackhawks fan even if you moved to Timbuktoo.

Old 04-08-2008, 12:44 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,667,443 times
My team: Detroit Red Wings

Overall:
History and Tradition: A+ (Original Six, most Cups among U.S. teams, the octopus, Gordie, Yzerman ...)
Division: B (The rest of the division plays us tough, so I'll give props where they're due. There's just not much tradition. At least we have the Blackhawks, but the NHL really, really needs to put us back in the East.)
Uniforms: A (Love the winged wheel)
Ownership: A
Arena: A
Fans: B+ (I know times are tough in Michigan, but it's sad to see so many empty seats at the Joe.)

Comments: I grew up in Michigan. Football and hockey are my two favorite sports, so the Wings were a natural fit. But I couldn't bring myself to follow the Lions. Too painful. I went with the Packers instead. The last 10+ years have been a great time to be a Wings fan. The organization continues to quietly dominate and keeps bringing in good young talent. The only frustration is that we keep falling short in the playoffs. It feels like we're the Atlanta Braves of hockey sometimes! Fingers crossed for this year.

2007-08 Season:
Regular Season: A (Can't complain about getting another President's Trophy)
Talent: A- (Zetterberg and Datsyuk are amazing. Great goalie duo. Lidstrom is a quiet but effective leader. The team overall is aging, but the old guys still have quite a bit in the tank. Will Chelios play until he's 100?)
Coaching: B+ (This team coaches itself, to a large extent. Why does Babcock always look so confused?)

Old 04-08-2008, 04:25 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,429,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerguy1 View Post
Now, now, Steve-o. You'd be a Blackhawks fan even if you moved to Timbuktoo.
Sorry, the love for my team would be reason enough to NOT leave. Who'd want to move away from their team, the fans, the stadium, just knowing that they can never hop in the car and take in a game whenever they feel like it? Not me! Id shoot myself in the face with a bazooka if I had to move away from my Hawks and be forced to watch them in some God-forsaken, non-hockey-loving sunbelt city surrounded by fans who are just there to see fights break out.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 04-08-2008 at 06:52 PM.. Reason: enough with the personal jabs

Old 04-08-2008, 05:08 PM

687 posts, read 2,033,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Sorry, the love for my team would be reason enough to NOT leave. Who'd want to move away from their team, the fans, the stadium, just knowing that they can never hop in the car and take in a game whenever they feel like it? Not me! Id shoot myself in the face with a bazooka if I had to move away from my Hawks and be forced to watch them in some God-forsaken, non-hockey-loving sunbelt city surrounded by fans who are just there to see fights break out. Im glad people have loyalties, but where do those loyalties lie?
Whatever Steve-O. Wanting to move away and having to move due to jobs are 2 different things. Pity you can't see that. And pity you feel that people have to live in the area to be a sports fan.

Old 04-10-2008, 08:43 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,667,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi_Mom View Post
Whatever Steve-O. Wanting to move away and having to move due to jobs are 2 different things. Pity you can't see that. And pity you feel that people have to live in the area to be a sports fan.
Right. Sometimes, life gives you no choice. Happened to me. I lost the only one of my teams I lived close to (Notre Dame) when I lost my job and had to move ... but I still follow them.

Besides, what if you live in the boonies to begin with? I lived on the other side of the state from the Red Wings, but I never would have considered NOT following them!

Speaking of which ... one game down against the Preds, three to go. Go Wings!

Old 04-13-2008, 12:22 PM

2,160 posts, read 7,520,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
New York Rangers
History and Tradition:A+, like all the Original Six.
Division:B
Uniform:A+
Ownership:F,for the incredibly bad trades for so many years.
Arena:-
Fans:-

2007-2008
Regular Season:B
Talent:B
Coaching:B
I´m hoping for semifinals,but as long as they are making it past the first round I am happy.
I'll help finish this one off as a life long fan...and as I agree 100% with the above post...

History and Tradition:A+, like all the Original Six.
Division:B
Uniform:A+
Ownership:F,for the incredibly bad trades for so many years. (can't agree more...although at least they have slowed down on spending big money on aging has-been stars)
Location:- Manhattan. For what it is worth...MSG is situated in a fantastic spot. Easy to get too by mass transit and within waking distance of the heart of the city.

Arena:- MSG...B+ at best. The "Worlds Greatest Arena" is incredibly overpriced. The NJ Devils have a fantastic new arena which is light years better than MSG. Although I could never bring myself to be a Devils fan...I will gladly take NJ Transit to go watch the Blueshirts beat up the Devs in their shiny new arena.

Also....Cmon...$8.00 for a beer and $500 seats? Seriously guys. Some awfully deep pockets being padded there.
Fans:- A. It would be an A+ if it weren't for the recent issues with anti-homosexual overtones at a lot of the games. I am not gay but a recent life-long and locally famous fan came out of the closet recently only to be chastised by a lot of fans at games.

Otherwise...Rangers fans are among the most excitable, faithful, energetic and proud fans of any team that I have seen. You can't even get tix to many home games anymore let alone the playoffs. By comparison...the 3X stanley cup champs in 10 yr Devils cannot even sell out a playoff game!!

Old 04-13-2008, 10:22 PM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,925,693 times
A little off topic, but now that sub-threads have been created, something tells me Hockey will be the most visited.

Old 04-15-2008, 01:56 PM

184 posts, read 1,545,402 times
My team: NY Islanders (sorry, don't know how to do the color thing )

History and Tradition: A+ (can there possibly be any argument about that??)

Division: A

Uniforms: B (A+ if compared to the late unlamented Fisherman jerseys!)

Ownership: B- (because I'm not sure if Wang is brilliant or crazy with his corporate-based system, or if it even exists at all but was just a stunt). A+ if compared to John Spano.

Location: A if coming by car, F if attempting to come by mass transit

Arena: B (yes I know it's old and dumpy but it's still a great place to get up close to the game. I loved the old Boston Garden too. I hate arenas where even seats in the lowest section are too far away from the boards to feel the hits). I go to hockey games for the GAME, not how comfy the seats are or how fancy the bathrooms are. However, to the seat PRICES at the Coliseum I give an D!

Fans: A+ (hope springs eternal)

Old 04-15-2008, 06:49 PM

7,962 posts, read 9,178,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywings View Post
My team: NY Islanders (sorry, don't know how to do the color thing )

History and Tradition: A+ (can there possibly be any argument about that??)

Division: A

Uniforms: B (A+ if compared to the late unlamented Fisherman jerseys!)

Ownership: B- (because I'm not sure if Wang is brilliant or crazy with his corporate-based system, or if it even exists at all but was just a stunt). A+ if compared to John Spano.

Location: A if coming by car, F if attempting to come by mass transit

Arena: B (yes I know it's old and dumpy but it's still a great place to get up close to the game. I loved the old Boston Garden too. I hate arenas where even seats in the lowest section are too far away from the boards to feel the hits). I go to hockey games for the GAME, not how comfy the seats are or how fancy the bathrooms are. However, to the seat PRICES at the Coliseum I give an D!

Fans: A+ (hope springs eternal)

Have to agree with everything except fans, even with hope springing eternal, LOL. Lucky to be a C-. It sucks continually being outnumbered by Ranger fans during their matchups.
Sometimes I think the Isles should relocate and give us the Soundtigers. At least they play hard and you can afford to go to the games.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey