Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 06:15 AM

41,945 posts, read 75,144,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
So because a city has "such a cool name", they should automatically get a team?
In that case, what about Bobby Clarke's hometown of Flin Flon, Manitoba?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 12:51 PM

1,937 posts, read 4,708,019 times
Let see you can now go for either Carolina, Nashville, Tampa, Dallas, Phoenix or Florida.

Old 06-03-2011, 06:01 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,325,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
Let see you can now go for either Carolina, Nashville, Tampa, Dallas, Phoenix or Florida.
Or not.

Old 06-03-2011, 06:21 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,512,704 times
Now that Winnipeg's getting a team again--there's not really a need for another team in the prairie provinces. There's only 1 million people in Saskatchewan living in between Alberta with two NHL teams and Manitoba with one team. Ideally another team in Canada would go to a city in Ontario(13 million population) or Quebec(8 million population).

Personally, I'd think it would be good to have a team in Quebec City again. I always liked the Nordiques back in the day.

Old 06-03-2011, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Now that Winnipeg's getting a team again--there's not really a need for another team in the prairie provinces. There's only 1 million people in Saskatchewan living in between Alberta with two NHL teams and Manitoba with one team. Ideally another team in Canada would go to a city in Ontario(13 million population) or Quebec(8 million population).

Personally, I'd think it would be good to have a team in Quebec City again. I always liked the Nordiques back in the day.
I'm not outright opposed to more teams in Canada...but I think the main thing the NHL needs to fix is WHO owns the teams.

It doesn't matter how many people live in a city when you have something like the Atlanta Spirit Group calling the shots. Bettman: please don't hand over the franchise keys to any more basketball clowns.

FWIW, I'm guessing owners in Canada will at least give a crap about their on-ice product.

Oh, and my next choice for a Canadian team would be Quebec City, too. SCREW Hamilton.

Old 06-04-2011, 11:03 PM

8,876 posts, read 13,907,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Why not Regina? Even cooler 'cause it rhymes with ........
Spoiler
Angina?

Old 06-05-2011, 12:00 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,301,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post

I would say this would be good if they moved 4 team I would choose Quebec, southren ontario, Seattle, and portland oregon

all 4 cities could easily support a NHL franchise since the WHL is a feeder system to the NHL and is already huge in oregon and Western washington and B.C. it would have a huge hockey fan base already there because of the WHL.

I could easily see seattle's key Arena being sold out if they got the coyotes to move there.

plus being a Vancouver Canuck fan it would be nice to have a rival team to go watch that is only about a 2 1/2 hour drive from Vancouver to seattle

Old 06-06-2011, 02:06 AM

2,941 posts, read 5,182,436 times
No...game 2's ratings on NBC were terrible, after a promising game 1 rating. Mostly because game 2 fell on a Saturday night -- the lowest viewership of the week. Plus, a Canadian market hurts NBC.

Vancouver HURTS the ratings...few Americans know anything about it, that it's beautiful and livable, where it is, etc. Most couldn't tell you Van. hosted the Olympics!

Saskatoon would be even more anonymous to the U.S. fan. No Canadian city counts in the NBC ratings. If Boston played Detroit, Colorado or even San Jose, the ratings would likely be better for the 2011 Finals.

Old 06-07-2011, 01:04 AM

6,404 posts, read 8,980,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
FWIW, I'm guessing owners in Canada will at least give a crap about their on-ice product.
Unless you're talking about the owners of Edmonton and Toronto.

Old 06-07-2011, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
Unless you're talking about the owners of Edmonton and Toronto.
I think Edmonton is near the end of a bad cycle. They're not close to being a real contender in the short term...but I imagine they'll be back on the rise soon.

Toronto? Well...I'm not sure what to say about Toronto. I can't decide if it's that they don't care or that they're just plain incompetent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey