Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2013, 10:55 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,370,765 times

Advertisements

I've finally found an affordable dressform on Amazon. I'm more a mender or craft sewer (pillows, curtains) than clothing sewer, at least in recent years, tending to buy vintage & slightly alter/tailor as necessary. But, since I do currently have several dozen floor length skirts/dresses/gowns which need the hems taken way up & a form would also be nice for minor alterations to tops/suit jackets, I'd like to finally spring for a dressform.

My worry is, the $100-ish forms I'm viewing have mostly good reviews, but concerning negative ones... such as the form not being well made (cheap & plasticy), not being heavy enough so having a tendency to tip over or there are problems with the pole in that they suddenly loosen, out of the blue. Trying to read between lines, I see that some seem to be novices & are not familiar with using a form. I'm familiar with using them as I had an old metal one I bought for $14 at a Goodwill years ago... sadly, it got misplaced in moving some time ago.

I have several questions for other sewers:

Firstly, does anyone use the Dritz Sew You models? They're now $86 with free shipping, which is the cheapest I've ever seen.

Amazon.com: dressform - Small Size / Dress Forms / Sewing: Arts, Crafts & Sewing

On the same link are the Singer models for $20 more... the 2nd form. Both brands are adjustable, which I like in case I should need it in the future, like altering something for the SO.

But, if you'd also look at the 3rd item on the same link, I think that these $50 dressforms with free shipping might do the trick. They're used mostly for display purposes, but has anyone else used one for sewing? I don't think I'll ever really need to pin fabric directly to the manikin, but I suppose adding $30 for an adjustable one would be worth it.

Additionally, I found a YT vids with instructions on how to make a dressform. I'm sure I could get the SO to help, but was wondering how sturdy they are, if anyone had made their own & most importantly, how does one place a stand into it? I get it if I'm doing more shirt/top alterations... but, I need it to stand between 5-6' in order to do tailoring.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear....1.2UnhSlFWwp8

Any help would be appreciated. I'd like to move on the purchase of the Dritz, since I haven't seen it this low before.

Lastly, I'll post this q here, even though it might be buried, does anyone know where to buy used dressforms in CO? People have told me to look in the paper for store closeouts, but I haven't seen any CList listings. I've posted a wanted ad on CL over the past year, but have had no luck. I've also asked in 1/2-dozen stores I've visited over time if they have any old manikins they would sell... most managers think it's odd that I'm asking. I don't mind visiting a flea market, etc., if these items are normally carried (I've never actually been to a flea market or swap meet & doubt they are regularly carried) & would go anywhere in the state for a deal.

Thank you very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 07:29 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,312,114 times
I had a Dritz that I got half-price at a Black Friday sale @ JoAnn, but I had to get rid of it when we moved across country. It was a bit flimsy in the stand. The adjustability was good; I had to partially dress it to adjust for my bust (enormous, sigh), but it worked well.

I considered doing a Duct Tape Double, but I'm losing weight, so an adjustable would be better for me at this point. Maybe later. You should check out Leann's tutorial - it talks about how to mount it to a stand. People have used all kinds of things for stands, but she tells you how to make one, IIRC. Her site is Duct Tape Double. HTH

Old 04-10-2013, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
I had a Dritz that I got half-price at a Black Friday sale @ JoAnn, but I had to get rid of it when we moved across country. It was a bit flimsy in the stand.
Great bargain, EM! Yes, I heard it's a common complaint that the Dritz base isn't stable (not sure about Singer? I guess I assume the name brand is more trustworthy, hence the larger price tag?), but it's hard to read between the lines online if reviewers aren't specific, like on Amazon. If they don't say why they find the form unstable, I wonder if they're mostly making heavy woolen clothing or outerwear, or if they're moving their form around from space to space, etc. I decided if that's a problem, to weigh it down with small homemade 'sand bags', perhaps filled with rice, since it's so cheap. Perhaps even a couple of bricks would work, in a pinch.

I try not to think about my lost bargain, lest I get so morose I get a headache. Walked into a charity shop years ago. A stray, adjustable manikin was cast-off in a corner. I asked if he would sell it. He asked what I'd pay. I said £8. He said how about £13. I snapped it up & had it for years before moving, like you, & incorrectly assumed I could easily get another professional, heavy, adjustable dressform anywhere for $13... oh, sigh. Further, it really was an antique... I almost needed another person to help me lift it because the 4 pronged base was so heavy & stable. I still can't believe I got rid of it & didn't at least attempt to tape it to the top of my 2-seater Geo... I seem to always leave the wrong things behind, perhaps as I don't use them as often & take things I could easily replace, like glasses & inexpensive dishes. This next move will be with a UHaul, so I'd rather get a new manikin now... &, I'm never leaving it behind again.

Quote:
I considered doing a Duct Tape Double, but I'm losing weight, so an adjustable would be better for me at this point. Maybe later. You should check out Leann's tutorial - it talks about how to mount it to a stand. People have used all kinds of things for stands, but she tells you how to make one, IIRC. Her site is Duct Tape Double. HTH
Thank you so much for that link. Oddly, I was up with a headache all night 'til 6am. While the SO snored away in the dark, it did afford me the opportunity to pack myself in ice, curse the headache demons & witches & do nothing but read through directions on multiple websites where people have made their own doubles. Wow! At first, I wondered how it could be useful, but people are so inventive... some made paper models over bin liners (it seems the duct tape ones come apart or the shape distorts if weather is too hot/humid... good to take note), then filled them with canned insulation foam to offer a harder surface which won't crush over time. People also suggested covering the finished product in Mod podge & making a light stretchy cover, so pins can be pinned directly to the fabric rather than the difficulty of trying to pin to the double. I found those websites from your link, which were listed by those leaving comments.

One gent even turned a large, sturdy plastic bucket upside down, cut a hole in the middle, inserted a broom handle though the bucket hole into a Christmas tree stand (so it can swivel) & fastened a wooden hanger on top into notches he made, so his wife could have a quick, cheap manikin whilst making a double. Since that one is so easy, I think I'll start there so I can begin alterations sooner. I'm 5'11" in heels & am hemming long dresses/gowns, so I may have to use long PVC tubing (like others have done) for height. This or next weekend, I got the SO to agree to paper tape me up (okay, he was half asleep when he agreed, but he liked the paper taping idea ), then cut me out of my own double & I'll fill it & fashion a stand from there. He's quite handy & has boxes of tools, so I'm sure he can whip up a stand in 1/2 the time it would surely take me.

Stand ideas I found were great, from old lamps purchased at charity shops or pulled out of the trash since people often don't fix lamps, but discard them... & the heavy base is inbuilt. Others used old music stands or camera tripods since they're collapsible & sitting unused in an attic. Depends upon one's height, as well. My 5' tall mum could get away with a music stand alone. Another used an old, broken hat stand & another finally found a use for her husband's suit jacket valet (since the stand is telescoping), since it was a gift & sat in the closet since he'd received it. Base ideas were just as good... the aforementioned Christmas tree stand, office chair base (as it's on wheels) & other odd-ball things that most people discard. The great thing is many of these items can be picked up for free in many neighborhoods on garbage day... unless of course one is too proud to go curbside shopping! In years gone by, I've had antiques, wooden tables/chairs I've painted or refinished & Oriental carpets I scrubbed clean courtesy of trash day shopping. Those were the days when most were too proud to go into a Salvation Army... now, it's become shabby chic & smart.

Below is a site I found to be about the best & another (linked from your link) for stand ideas. Can you believe I've found Ebay stands alone for $100! Reading down through the comments was the most helpful, because people are amazingly inventive. I will be watching some YT vids in the upcoming days & will re-post & link the better ones in the event it helps someone else. Since the SO was sleeping as I was tap, tap, tapping away next to him, I didn't want to wake him with the sound. And, perhaps I'll even buy one down the line (hopefully, inexpensively at a flea market once we return to CA... or a local charity shop in Denver... I'll keep looking).

Stand ideas & some comments offer very useful info:
Stand Ideas

Also, here's one young girl who did her own with paper tape ("water activated tape" or "gummed paper tape"). She has the best instructions, imho, because she took directions from many sites & expanded upon them, put together a concise project with pics taken along the way & even lists which paper tape she used & where to purchase it. It's very helpful & really helped me understand the process, which I really wasn't getting 'til I saw pics.

Making It Well: I Made My Own Dress Form!

Back view after 1 layer (she used paper tape over a bin liner (trash bag) instead of over a T-shirt, 2 coatings of tape)... btw, one who wanted a manikin with arms used an old mock turtleneck, long sleeved, so she could tape down to her elbow):

Cut out, secured up the back with more tape & stuffed with newspapers (I think canned foam insulation would be best for durability... that tip found on another site)

Her finished 'clone' is sans stand (obviously, she's doing more work with shirts), but I'd add one because I'm tall & would mostly be altering skirts/dresses:

Three cautionary bits of advice many, many suggested:

1. Make the form longer... as long as possible over the hips, so if altering anything which sits below the waist (like many of the drop-waist clothing today), there's plenty of room to get a proper measurement. Many said they'd need to make a 2nd form because they hadn't thought of going more than a few inches below the waist. For some, it's not their faults... it depends upon how patient your taper is... many suggested not using husbands, but to find a willing friend who also needs a 'clone'. I'm fortunate in that the SO is the patient one in the family...

2. Tape each side of the bust separately in the event you ever wish to make a V-neck top or alter a bathing suit top... harder to do with a uni-breast.

3. Stuff the inside of each breast with old shoulder pads or cotton batting, then secure from the inside with cardboard taped over it. They tend to collapse over time.

EM, kudos to you! If I hadn't spent so much time reading through all this info from the link you posted, I'd never have attempted to try this on my own. I am going to do the 'scarecrow' one first, with the bucket, broomstick & hanger. Who knows... maybe that's all I'll need. If not, I'll do a paper tape manikin. I'll snap pics along the way for each & if either is successful, I'll re-post.

Cheers very much!

Old 04-10-2013, 09:12 PM

Wow, you were very productive considering your aching head!

I'm so glad you were able to find so much good information, and all from one little link! Years ago, I'd seen the Duct Tape Double website, and she had photos for each step for free at that time. I printed it out and probably still have it.

When I get my weight more stable (I'm starting to lose now), I'll consider making one. Til then, I'll muddle through. I really don't want to do too much work, only to have my measurements changing on me and having to make another a couple of months down the line. Knowing me, I probably wouldn't even have used it yet before I had to remake it!

Anyhow, I'd love to see how yours comes out. I hope you'll share!

Old 04-11-2013, 12:55 AM

Quote:
When I get my weight more stable (I'm starting to lose now), I'll consider making one. Til then, I'll muddle through. I really don't want to do too much work, only to have my measurements changing on me and having to make another a couple of months down the line. Knowing me, I probably wouldn't even have used it yet before I had to remake it!
You know, EM, that was the biggest complaint with those saying they had a friend tape them & they must have done a bad job as the form was too big after cutting it off & measuring... oops, nope, friend did her job, there was just some weight gain. It caught people off-guard, but it can sneak up on us. Depends upon the style one wears, I guess. If one wears mostly sweat pants or elastic waistbands, then it's far easier to gain 5-lbs & not be aware. My skirts/trousers fit so specifically (mostly zippered garments with button or hook & eye closures) that if I gain 3-4 lbs & my waist fills out a touch... ouch, I can no longer fit into those clothes. In any case, it's my incentive to put down the bag of crisps & not eat too many burgers & fries... some dream of sugar plum fairies... I dream of fries & crisps. Once I hit 38, I found I could no longer eat 3 large slices of 3-meat pizza, washed down with 2 beers & an ice cream at midnight & not see the effects after a couple days of delectable culinary debauchery... sad, that.

Quote:
Anyhow, I'd love to see how yours comes out. I hope you'll share!
Thank you again. Your link was the best as I found so many others linked websites in the comments. You're right, she does now charge $65 for a DVD (I don't begrudge her, but I know I can figure it out with the help of others & if I just add a few $ more, I can just buy a manikin & won't need a DVD), but it's too easy to find instructions if one is patient & spends a few hours researching.

In fact, when the SO came home tonight, I reminded him that I'd tricked him into agreeing to help me make a double. I had no idea he used to do set design for bands in his 20s, worked for a toymaker in his teens & carved animals for displays out of polystyrene & created faux displays in homes... so, he excitedly rattled off 10 different ideas for making a better manikin! Wow!

He said he could measure & carve a model for me out of styrofoam... in his youth he had to even melt small pieces into one large piece inside a wire cage he'd made of varying characters with a special hairdryer type tool, which he said he might still have or could find for a few $. Or, he said we should be able to do it better with gauze & material similar to what's used in making a cast. I said, great, but now I have to buy a saw to cut it off, how will it not crack when removing, etc., & he said he might have the saw in storage (forget what he called it now, but it won't cut the skin) but he could add some kind of plastic filler or other product to the plastery goo to make it more pliable. He's all excited & already made a list of stores for us to visit on Sat... Home Depot, Michaels, just for ideas.

Better still, then he said we could do it with wire & my measurements alone without my having to 'model'. Again, I said I didn't want to take weeks doing that & he said he did Christmas manger displays in his youth & wire was used to make extra reindeer or elves or fill out broken plaster pieces to mold them over. Geesh... thrashing about ideas in my head in silence for months could have resulted in workable ideas if I just told him what I had in mind. Who knew I had a DIY decorator/toymaker/display/design artist living with me.

So, it looks as if this might be far easier for me. I'm very lucky as he's very willing to help, so that's great. If the cost comes too close to the $85 Dritz form, then I'll just build the easy 'scarecrow' hanger in a pail model for the time being & wait for a good deal on a Singer model... unless I find a great find at a flea market or online.

I'll take pics along the way nonetheless, in the event the SO's model would be helpful to others. I really couldn't 'see' this in my head with much ease until I saw the pics from the website I posted earlier. The young woman from Canada did a nice job & had the forethought & kindness to take pics & post them for us for free... very nice of her.

As an aside, I was wondering what you thought of these couple of ideas I thought of whilst we were brainstorming this evening, EM...

1. How about using a wire manikin which stands about 5'? They're ridiculously priced on Amazon now ($73!) but, I've seen these in Big Lots' stores for $19-ish from time to time. Doesn't matter if it's exact size in measurements for what I need to do... I'm not making bathing suits, just doing alterations. If it's too large, it wouldn't work, but if it's too small in the shoulder area, I suppose a wooden hanger could be fastened to the manikin or the waist could be filled out with just some taped on cotton batting, if necessary.

2. What about fashioning together a stand & base (like the pail with PVC/wooden pole), then inserting an old feather pillow or 2 onto the stick? Measurements could be taken beforehand & the the feathers could be moved & shaped as desired, then duct taped into place. (My only worry would be shifting of feathers, but if they're duct taped in, perhaps this won't happen?)

3. Body-con dress. Buy a cheap spandex dress in one's size, or make a muslin clone from one which does fit. Sew a round piece of material onto the bottom of the dress, so it's in essence, like a handbag preventing one from stepping into the dress. Stuff it with any array of materials, make a hole in the bottom of the dress & mount on the makeshift 'scarecrow' base & stand?

This one is $20 on Amazon, but I've seen them for $10 in discount stores.

For now, I'll start with the Charlie Brown Christmas tree version... stick in a pail.

Old 04-11-2013, 04:49 PM

You are so lucky!! My DH works on vacuum cleaners ... I don't think this would help me make a dress form! LOL

I like the idea of the wire mannequins, if you can get one approximately your size. Your biggest issue would likely be in the shoulders; if they are too big, you are SOL. The one in the photo is so pretty, I'd love to have one.

The feather pillows won't be solid enough, I don't think. The filling is too loose, and wouldn't give you a stable measurement. I can see using old fiberfill pillows, but you'd definitely need to compress them pretty hard. I dunno ...

Now, the body-con idea sounds like it has promise. You'd have to get some good measurements, to make sure you stuffed it to the right dimensions, but that shouldn't be difficult. I don't think the muslin copy would be terribly easy to do, due to the stretch of the spandex original. It'd be hard to translate into a muslin copy, I'd think, because you stretch the spandex when you put the garment on. It's not the same size on the body. Of course, this goes back to measurements...

When I had my Dritz, I put one of my bras on it and stuffed the cups with fiberfill, since the bust is my problem area for fitting. Bazooms of Doom, I haz them. Otherwise, I just adjusted the dials. Do you have a particularly hard-to-fit area?

Old 04-12-2013, 04:09 AM

Quote:
You are so lucky!! My DH works on vacuum cleaners ... I don't think this would help me make a dress form! LOL
Hiya EM, thanks for replying again. Well, maybe he & the SO brainstorming over coffee cake & a brew can make a robot vacuum cleaner which can sew & we won't need forms... I'd like to place my order now!

Quote:
I like the idea of the wire mannequins, if you can get one approximately your size. Your biggest issue would likely be in the shoulders; if they are too big, you are SOL. The one in the photo is so pretty, I'd love to have one.
I love those wire mannequins, also. Honestly, I'd like to collect a few & place them around the house for display. Most I've seen are rather small (like the old Big Lots' $19 model) & the waist was about 10" around. I haven't yet seen any with a realistic human shape, but if just doing a suit jacket alteration to the hem or sleeve length, it would work with a bit of patience, I suppose. I'd at least give it a whirl if I can snap it up for that price. Over the weekend, I'll add Big Lots to our list of places to visit in the lucky event they might still carry them.

The more I mull it over, I think a homemade wire form, if the SO can purchase wire which wouldn't be cost prohibitive, might be best & easiest... the least messy, for sure. He said he could do it with just my measurements... no need to pose for hours. I searched for a few pics of what style might be useful & it seems like a good idea:

Even if not my exact measurements, a boxy shape that's widest at the shoulder & tapers down (since my shoulders are wider than my hips) would be usable, like below:

And, wouldn't this one be great, if it's affordable/easy to find?! I see it's available from China. (Unfortunately, there's no indication of price, but I think they sell wholesale):

Wire Mannequin 3 - China Mannequin, Male Mannequin

Although, a 2am bathroom trip might make me scream bloody murder, if I saw this silhouette in the dark.

This is an interesting one, too... great for altering trousers... never saw anything like it:

Oh, NOTE... just by accident, I found a designer in Canada who had a wire mannequin in her store, pictured on her blog. A reader asked where it was from & she said the US equivalent store would be Home Goods. I thought they closed, but if not... adding to list.

Quote:
The feather pillows won't be solid enough, I don't think. The filling is too loose, and wouldn't give you a stable measurement. I can see using old fiberfill pillows, but you'd definitely need to compress them pretty hard. I dunno ...
I guess I was thinking it might end up like this... Maybe rather than a feather pillow, cotton batting could just be rolled up & taped to exact size. The only problem I can see with that is there's no weight to it so it wouldn't be useful for heavier wool jackets?? I'll put it on the back burner for now.

Quote:
Now, the body-con idea sounds like it has promise. You'd have to get some good measurements, to make sure you stuffed it to the right dimensions, but that shouldn't be difficult. I don't think the muslin copy would be terribly easy to do, due to the stretch of the spandex original. It'd be hard to translate into a muslin copy, I'd think, because you stretch the spandex when you put the garment on. It's not the same size on the body. Of course, this goes back to measurements...
Maybe a bodycon dress could be used over any manikin & stapled on just to offer some grab if wanting to pin directly to the form. I'll put that on the back burner, as well, for now... I'm leaning towards the wire for now, if we're going to make it ourselves.

Quote:
When I had my Dritz, I put one of my bras on it and stuffed the cups with fiberfill, since the bust is my problem area for fitting. Bazooms of Doom, I haz them. Otherwise, I just adjusted the dials. Do you have a particularly hard-to-fit area?
Ahaha. Too funny. My SO doesn't mind my bazooms of doom at all... haha. I'm sure your DH doesn't either. Great idea with the bra, though. I hadn't thought of that.

You know, I suppose everyone would have difficulty of some sort with a store bought dress form. There's no such thing as consistent proportions (& virtually all of us go up & down 5-10 lbs or so from time to time... I do), perhaps why so many opt to make their own form. I saw a cute one that a pregnant woman had made of herself & a wire pregnant form (useful, but I've never seen them in stores):

I don't know that I have a difficult area... my difficulty is in the sewing itself, because I don't like it at all, but do it as it's necessary & I hate to spend $, especially for tailoring... but, I have small hips & wider shoulders/fuller bust, so, purchasing clothes is harder. I need a size 10 jacket to fit across the chest, but then the waist is way too big & the arms are too long... every jacket/coat I've ever bought had to be altered otherwise it has that 80s boxy shape... I like a fitted waist no matter the outfit. And, I'm swimming in a size 10 skirt/trousers, if they come with the jacket. At times, there's just too much alteration required (especially if there's a zipper) to whittle it down to a 4-6 with a skirt & I've definitely not the patience to take trousers apart.

Honestly, I'm not that good a sewer that I'd be able to get it back together again & avoid it looking piece meal. Sadly, I have ruined a few pairs of pants/jeans that I wanted to alter... completely ruined them, so I tread carefully before taking major steps. Sometimes, I'll just wear a jacket larger if there's too much to work with to take in... dreaded slash pockets, epaulets, vents, darts, designs at the cuffs. Always better for me to buy separates... but, when I was in my 20s, wool material was cheap & I was far more ambitious, so I made all my own dress suits. But, my incentive was it cost $20 for the whole suit & was a nice wool... for that price, I'd only have been able to buy a cheap looking poly suit off the rack. Yikes!

My forte is home decor sewing... curtains, drapes, pillows... anything straight, easy & fast. I've used cut-up wedding dresses for trim or table clothes for sofa pillows or cushions. And, I used to do a lot of arts & crafts projects... one year everyone who needed a present got a lamp from me. I'd found them discarded on the curb, put in new electrical parts, painted them or refinished them & glue gunned lace on shades after tea dying, etc. At this point, I've moved so many times & had to leave so much behind, I'm a bit reluctant to put that much into crafts... I cringe when I have to leave treasures behind, even if they were very cheap... I still know how much time & effort I put into them.

So, hopefully, the SO will be able to fashion a wire form... but, maybe I'll luck out & find one in a store or even 2nd hand. We might as well do that first. If not, the pole in a bucket with a hanger on top isn't a bad first start.

Thank you again for all your help. I'll post back to let you know how we're proceeding. Have a great weekend!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation