Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 03:11 PM

866 posts, read 1,139,653 times

Advertisements

Is anyone doing /making homemade craft items for the holidays?
And what are they? Will they be given as gifts or for your own use?

I will be working on some homemade ornaments using fabric,maybe some soft leather and also refurbishing some old glass ornaments.

A few years back I made a square tree skirt for a 3 ft. tree from an old pencil style denim skirt. A true "tree skirt"...hehe
There aren't alot of tree skirts for the smaller trees available.

I have also made my own Christmas cards using cut-outs from old card faces that I saved.

Curious as to what some of your projects might be...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2011, 04:08 PM

50,429 posts, read 64,185,923 times
I have made a few of the glass blocks with lights and icicles inside, then tied with a wide bow of wired ribbon like a present. They are pretty and serve as great accent lighting for the holidays. Lowe's sold the glass blocks with a plug last year.
I have also made gingerbread men from ground cinnamon and white glue which makes nice ornaments that smell good.

Old 11-11-2011, 06:25 PM

GENTLEARTS:When my daughter was much younger we made both the salt dough and cinnamon dough ornaments.
The dough was made with a lot of cinnamon and had applesauce in it for the binder. can't remember if there was white glue or not.
We used different shaped cookie cutters to cut the dough then dried them on cookie sheets in the oven.
Thehouse smelled so good for weeks after.
They gradually lost the cinnamon scent though. We kept the salt dough ornaments til about the mid-90's. They were made almost 15 years earlier
Miss those days now. Family is gone to other parts of the country and no grandkids to do those things with now. Wonder if I can adopt some kids from church just for the holidays?
THANKS for the response,and the memories...

Old 11-13-2011, 05:14 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,088,005 times
This is a fun thing and I've been doing it for a couple of years now....

https://www.city-data.com/forum/21536017-post2.html

Old 11-14-2011, 07:12 AM

BONES: TOOOO FUNNY. I was rolling!!
So will you be doing this again this year?

Old 11-14-2011, 08:14 AM

15,205 posts, read 12,088,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftmyheartintennessee View Post
BONES: TOOOO FUNNY. I was rolling!!
So will you be doing this again this year?
Yes, in a week or so..... I will post in the "Other Topics" forums....

We were coming out with a new product line this year but there was a patent infringement...
Spoiler
Tampons....
, so we had to scrap that idea.....

This is a really fun hobby and everyone can enjoy making them....

Old 11-14-2011, 11:50 AM

3,339 posts, read 6,002,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftmyheartintennessee View Post
Is anyone doing /making homemade craft items for the holidays?
And what are they? Will they be given as gifts or for your own use?
I will definitely be making jewelry to give as gifts. I just made a few of these bracelets:

It's kind of hard to see it, but it is made of beads and has a lot of swarovski crystals. The patter resembles a peacock feather...

I'm sure I will be making other jewelry as well, probably more than a couple pendants and necklaces to give to my aunts, friends, cousins, etc. The beaded bracelet above I just decided to do on impulse to use up some of the beads I have at home. Most of what I make is silver that is either soldered and/or cast with gemstones.

I also tend to make a lot of candy for Christmas. I usually make sea salt caramels so I'll be doing that at a minimum to give as small gifts.

Old 11-14-2011, 01:07 PM

Your bracelet looks really nice. Looks really intricate.
I've thought about trying my hand at jewelry making, but since my eyesight is not good,
I'd have to use much bigger beads. Maybe one day I'll experiment,see what I can come up with.
One year, a while back, I did the home baked gifts. I had 13 different varieties of cookies,some
quick breads, and homemade candies as well. House looked like a bakery for about 2 weeks.
AAHH the memories...those were the days...

Old 11-14-2011, 01:19 PM

1,266 posts, read 3,227,197 times
LOL, those Maxipad slippers were great.

I use plain old cheapo Red Heart Supersaver yarn and a large hook (K or N) to create one of these in about an hour:

Head Huggers: Crochet Pattern: Front Post - Back Post Brim Cap

With a contrasting brim and those post stitches, they come out really nice-looking, and the recipients seem to like them.

Old 12-10-2011, 07:19 AM

1,609 posts, read 4,694,214 times
I bought a scroll saw at a yard sale for $5.00 a few years back and got into scrolling (cutting) many different things out of scrap wood.Most of my inspiration and free patterns came for Steve Good's (scrollsawworkshop.com) website.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation