Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 12:28 AM
jco jco started this thread

2,121 posts, read 6,450,139 times

Advertisements

Does anyone else struggle with having too many hobbies? My husband calls me a chicken because I dabble a little here and a little there. I'm trying to narrow in on only a couple, but it's too hard!!! I enjoy painting, drawing, calligraphy, reading, writing, scrapbooking, photography, and decorating. I guess it's better to be an expert at a couple of things than okay at several.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2007, 09:45 AM

28 posts, read 109,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jco View Post
Does anyone else struggle with having too many hobbies? My husband calls me a chicken because I dabble a little here and a little there. I'm trying to narrow in on only a couple, but it's too hard!!! I enjoy painting, drawing, calligraphy, reading, writing, scrapbooking, photography, and decorating. I guess it's better to be an expert at a couple of things than okay at several.
I, too, suffer from the same affliction. My wife laughs at me as my hobbies include, but are not limited to the following:
a. photography
b. reading
c. drawing
d. painting
e. martial arts
f. playing guitar
g. computers (learning to write code, html, c++, etc.)

Personally, I feel life is too short and offers too many opportunities to limit oneself.

Old 08-01-2007, 12:41 PM

184 posts, read 863,057 times
My hobbies are

Collecting (many things)
Reading
Decorating
Gardening
Traveling
Journaling
Politics (following it)
Shopping (that's a hobby right? )
Computer
Music (mp3s/CDs)

Totally agreed...So many hobbies & not enough time!!!

Old 08-07-2007, 09:29 PM

5 posts, read 17,476 times
O Me ....ME tooo
Scrapping
Stamping
Painting
Paper Making
Cooking
Playing with My Cats
and Playing on THIS COMPUTER
Paint SHop Pro addict ...
Taking Pictures Pictures and More Pictures
Doing Videos too
Mary

Old 08-07-2007, 11:34 PM

68 posts, read 363,417 times
yep

Guns
horses
cars
and a variety of others

Old 08-08-2007, 01:51 PM

324 posts, read 882,969 times
I also have a lot of hobbies, but most of the posts above sound like the hobbies are all in the same genre, so I don't think it is weird that you would like to do all of those things. For example, the OP's hobbies seemed to focus on using artistic skills. It seems totally normal that if you have artistic skills that you would be interested in all of those different things.

Old 08-08-2007, 06:44 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,440,771 times
I am curious what kind of hobbies your husband has.

mine are: Varies by season.
knee boarding, tubing, power boating, wakeboarding
riverboating, exploring and just enjoy the scenery
sailing
Hunting, a little fishing when not hunting
4 wheeling with ATVs
Amateur Radio (Ham radio)
Computers
snowmachining

Costs of a hobbie can become more of an issue than the time spent on it.

P. S. Watching Sports on TV is not a hobby, playing sports is, in my opinion.

Old 08-09-2007, 06:21 AM

448 posts, read 1,049,669 times
I agree that your hobbies tend to be in the arts. an Artistic personality doesn't like to be limited to one style. I have similar hobbies and find that I could open a craft store in my basement. If I decide to rubberstamp, I can't just have a set of stamps for making birthday cards....I need every possible combination, otherwise I find it too limiting. I'll do anything! All you hobbies support each other. I don't find it strange at all. In addition to art, I ride motorcycle and golf. How is that for a combination?

Old 08-10-2007, 08:57 AM

180 posts, read 957,099 times
Most of my hobbies seem to fall under the heading of Crafting. But to me they aren't just hobbies. We have a website and sell our items... so they have also become a business.

Beadwork (traditional indian and other forms)
Jewelry making (including the ancient wire working)
Yard Saleing! (yeah, that's a hobby!)
Leather work (both traditional indian and other)
Snowflakes (I collect them)
Forums (I enjoy them!)

Old 08-11-2007, 01:32 AM

20,326 posts, read 19,909,198 times
Yep. Cars, guns and back-roads trips for the most part. Mostly my job gets in the way. Guess I'll have to jettison that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation