Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 03:41 PM
jco jco started this thread

2,121 posts, read 6,452,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticthaw View Post
I am curious what kind of hobbies your husband has.
My husband and I are odd in that we're both creative, but we are in different ways. He's very musical, I'm into fine art. His hobbies:

guitar/band/singing
cigars
Politics
playing golf
exercising
poker

I'm sure there are others I'm forgetting! He's a people person, so all of his hobbies are more in line with his personality, and I'm a introvert, so mine are in line with that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2007, 05:41 AM

453 posts, read 2,101,315 times
the purpose of a hobby is to have fun, not be an expert. if you were trying to make a career out of it, it would make sense to specialize. otherwise, just do whatever makes you happy

Old 08-18-2007, 12:19 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,090,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdude View Post
the purpose of a hobby is to have fun, not be an expert. if you were trying to make a career out of it, it would make sense to specialize. otherwise, just do whatever makes you happy
Very well said. I have many hobbies but the 'people' in my life constantly call them a waste of time and money. I can't understand why it always has to be about the cash

I like to hook up my car, draw (comics), and write books. I would want to make a career out of none of them. (I don't mind doing these in my free time but I don't want to work for someone doing those things) But hey, I could sell a book regardless

Old 08-18-2007, 08:00 PM

453 posts, read 2,101,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
I would want to make a career out of none of them. (I don't mind doing these in my free time but I don't want to work for someone doing those things) But hey, I could sell a book regardless
i totally agree. i love my career path, but it's not stuff that i would want to do in my spare time very often. i also love my hobbies, but it's not something i would want to do for a career....then again, it'd be tough to make a career out of watching college football

Old 08-18-2007, 11:47 PM
jco jco started this thread

2,121 posts, read 6,452,385 times
Quote:
Hmm... good point! I guess I can be a chicken then!

Old 08-22-2007, 08:27 AM

180 posts, read 957,416 times
I feel very fortunate that I have been able to make money from my hobbies so that I can better afford them.

They are not a career for me, I am retired, but I can't sit idle and I can't afford to keep buying supplies only to give them away (although I often do).

I need the cash to afford the hobbies.
I need the hobbies to fill my soul.

I just feel lucky that I can incorporate both!

Old 09-11-2007, 10:21 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,593,481 times
Like many others have stated in this thread, I, too, have a lot of different hobbies. Here are some of them:

Collecting CDs, Movies (esp. Westerns), stamps, coins, NASCAR collectibles, die cast cars, guns, etc.
Model railroading (includes model building, detailing, running trains, etc.)
Astronomy
Prospecting, Gold Panning, Metal Detecting
Four Wheeling, Motorcycling, ATVs
Shooting sports (target shooting, Cowboy Action Shooting, Airsoft guns, Reloading, etc.)
Fishing, Camping, Hiking, Backpacking, Bicycling, Horseback Riding, etc.
Computers (surfing city-data.com, playing games, learning Linux, and building computers)
Gardening
Woodworking

Those are the ones that come to mind at the moment. I don't own stuff to do all the things I mentioned (Horses or ATVs, for example), but they are all things I enjoy doing.

If I had enough time, I'm sure I would become interested in many other hobbies. As it is, I am interested in lots of hobbies, but have very little time for most of them.

Old 10-05-2007, 05:31 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,179,404 times
Is reading a hobby? Probably not, more like a way of life!

Other "hobbies" include:

Crocheting

Knitting(badly)

Jewelrymaking (all kinds)

Finding Places(that's where you just drive until you find someplace new; don't do much of that since I moved to Ak)

Music(like to sing and find old songs)

Collecting Specific Children's Books (I guess that goes under hobby)

Baking

Trying to figure out how my Computer works (that my be a job)

Craft Dabbling(that's when you randomly get into scrapping, quilting, stamping,Papermaking, felting, etc)

Photography (have yet to buy a great camera)

Next is Cross Country Skiing ( I realized I need a sport, love swimming but it's heck on the hair. Now just gotta learn to ski )

NO, I don't have hobby ADD, I just don't watch much TV and hate being bored!!

Old 10-05-2007, 11:58 PM

13,609 posts, read 21,396,904 times
Quote:
hmmm,well trying to be a expert is also fun,I guess challenging is fun also.When it comes to guitar I do try to be a expert,or better to say real good.Maybe in my case it's better to call it a passion rather than hobbie,because basically my life revolves around it.

Firerams,that's my hobbie also,I certainly don't put as much practice into that as I do guitar but I certainly enjoy collecting and shooting,which challenging also.......

needless to say I'm glad I only have 2 hobbies because both are not easy on the funds....that is if you are always looking for a excuse to add on lol!

Old 06-15-2008, 08:09 PM

1 posts, read 2,809 times
Lightbulb Attack all hobbies!

I had so many hobbies I cracked up! :eek:

I decided to take all the artistic hobbies and make a business for my self called Art Attack. (see profile)

Now for the rest of my hobbies....
I'm about to crack up again! :eek:
I want to write a book, play piano, design a web site & be at the beach painting all at the same time.

There is a good book out there called "Refuse to Choose!"
by Barbara Sher
A program for doing everything that you love to do.
This might help if you can fight your brain of saying that "I HAVE TOO MUCH TO DO" But you don't do it....

My new way of doing all the things I want to do is to make dates with each hobbie. Some times I dedicate a whole day on one hobbie some times just the required 1/2 hour at my piano.

Just as long as I show the world I can do all my hobbies with quality.
But some times quality goes down when you don't practice enough of one paticular hobbie.

I hope that helped.
I think I just helped myself from just writing that.
Good luck to all of you with all these talent hobbies!

Imagine if we could all join to make a hobbie shop Med Spa!
Just have FUN!! :rolleyes:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation