Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 06:13 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,963,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Present at the celebration, these scum............

The Associated Press: Vietnam War journalists reunite for anniversary
The American journalists sure got the outcome they wanted from that war.

I wonder if the boat people and the people who spent years in 're-education' camps are celebrating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2010, 07:19 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,559,984 times
I know two people who were probably celebrating,...John Kerry (winter soldier) and Hanoi Jane Fonda. If Walter Cronkite were still alive he'd probably be the guest of honor.

Old 05-02-2010, 08:42 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,963,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
I know two people who were probably celebrating,...John Kerry (winter soldier) and Hanoi Jane Fonda. If Walter Cronkite were still alive he'd probably be the guest of honor.
I always marveled about the hypocrisy of people like Hanoi Jane, who claimed to care so much about the Vietnamese people during the war, but never acknowledged that the communist 'peace' killed more people than the anti-communist war. They never had the slightest compassion for the people who were killed and tortured in re-education camps, or who drowned out on the high seas trying to escape the unbearable hell that communist Vietnam was for them.

Old 05-02-2010, 02:23 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,221,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
As Ngyuen Cao Ky said "time to get over it". While we lost Vietnam it was a giant step toward the collapse of world communism
Several years after the fall of Saigon my dad and I were going into a Target store in Anaheim, CA. There was a very thin, Asian man standing next to the entrance door smoking a cigarette. I recognized him and started to tell my dad who he was but my dad had already noticed him. As we walked past my father saluted him and said, "General." The man stood at attention and returned the salute. It was Ky.

He owned a liquor store in our area but lived a very low-profile life.

Old 05-03-2010, 06:14 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,551,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
All Walter Cronkite and John Kerry did was tell the truth.

Old 05-03-2010, 06:18 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,551,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
I always marveled about the hypocrisy of people like Hanoi Jane, who claimed to care so much about the Vietnamese people during the war, but never acknowledged that the communist 'peace' killed more people than the anti-communist war. They never had the slightest compassion for the people who were killed and tortured in re-education camps, or who drowned out on the high seas trying to escape the unbearable hell that communist Vietnam was for them.

I always marveled at how communist North Vietnamese soldiers and their sons and daughters would willingly sacrifice their lives to repel a foreign invader, be they French or American, while ARVN soldiers rarely fought with the distinction and valor of their countrymen to the north.

Old 05-04-2010, 01:57 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,216,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
I always marveled at how communist North Vietnamese soldiers and their sons and daughters would willingly sacrifice their lives to repel a foreign invader, be they French or American, while ARVN soldiers rarely fought with the distinction and valor of their countrymen to the north.
I think that was a problem the U.S. did not grasp from the beginning. Like it or not, many North VN were deeply inspired by their ideology and their leaders.

In the south, an oligarchy of elite, many Roman Catholics, who were only a small minority, lorded it over the mass of people who were far less Westernized and Confucian and Buddhist in orientation. They did not inspire love nor loyalty. It was a tremendous obstacle to the successful pursuit of a war against the VC and the North.

Old 05-04-2010, 02:48 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,549,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
I think that was a problem the U.S. did not grasp from the beginning. Like it or not, many North VN were deeply inspired by their ideology and their leaders.

In the south, an oligarchy of elite, many Roman Catholics, who were only a small minority, lorded it over the mass of people who were far less Westernized and Confucian and Buddhist in orientation. They did not inspire love nor loyalty. It was a tremendous obstacle to the successful pursuit of a war against the VC and the North.
Maybe that was because South Vietnam was truly a "fake" country, created by the US to avoid a free and open election we knew Uncle Ho would win.

Old 05-04-2010, 05:23 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,632,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
As Ngyuen Cao Ky said "time to get over it". While we lost Vietnam it was a giant step toward the collapse of world communism
Getting over it is a good idea. But you can't really say that "we" "lost" Vietnam...since we never really had it in the first place.

Old 05-04-2010, 10:21 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,118,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Despite popular belief, the South Vietnamese did have some excellent individual units; ARVN Rangers, ARVN Special Forces, RVN Marines, RVN Navy SEALS, and some of the ARVN airborne units were just as good as their counterparts in our military. They performed very well at An Loc, Ban Me Thout, Xuan Loc, Easter '72, Cambodia '70, etc. Even our own guys in the Pentagon were suprised at how well they performed in the 1972 Easter Offensive.

As for the PAVN, there is nothing willing about human wave charges and chaining your own troops to their trucks and armored vehicles. They won only due to the weight of numbers (the typical Commie bodies vs bullets strategy). They were decimated in Tet '68 and lost everything they seized. Like the US and RVN forces they were also mostly conscripts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History