Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2010, 06:19 PM

3,047 posts, read 2,827,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coon dog View Post
Fine...

Letter of Private Frank Bailey, 34th New York Infantry Regiment to his brother in Middleville, New York: - "West Point, Virginia, 12 May 1862 - I hear that the Rebels sent out a Regt. of ni**ers to fight our men and that they were as naked as when they were born, except the brogues on their feet, and they incited to all sorts of cruelty. It is said that they cut the throats of our wounded and then rob them of every article of any value. The soldiers are death on ni**ers now. If they catch a ni**er in the woods, and there is no officer near, they hang them without any ceremony. Now if this is true that the Southern chivalry as they style themselves put these ni**ers up to such deeds as this, may the curse of good light on them. It is worse than the English were in the Revolution to hire the Indians, but their race is about run when they stoop to such barbarism as that. Yesterday there was two ni**ers hung close by here by our men. One of them had $20.00 government note in his pocket. There is no mistake but the Rebels have black soldiers for I have seen them brought in as prisoners of war. I saw one who had the stripes of an orderly sergeant on his coat. I don't beliee in taking them prisoner, but kill them where ever they find them, that they may never more curse the land with their hateful presence."

White New Yorkers burned down a Black Orphanage killing numerous children during the NY draft riots.

Old 01-11-2010, 06:27 PM

1,308 posts, read 2,866,453 times
How often did they do this...

http://bradley.chattablogs.com/black%20lynching.jpg[/IMG]

Except in the enlightened south they were still doing it routinely into the sixties. When groups like the NAACP tried to get anti-lynching bills through congress southern congressmen blocked it on states rights, the federal government had no right to force southerners to quit stringing up the darkies.

I spent all my life in the south. I am well aware of southern and northern treatment of african americans, and there is no question which was worse.

Last edited by Thyra; 01-12-2010 at 10:58 AM.. Reason: Post link...not picture

Old 01-11-2010, 06:35 PM

Anyone wanting to understand the economic motivations of Lincoln and the North should study the Panic of 1857 and it's aftermath, and understand the increased bitterness and hatred of Southerners and slavery.

Old 01-11-2010, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noetsi View Post

Except in the enlightened south they were still doing it routinely into the sixties. When groups like the NAACP tried to get anti-lynching bills through congress southern congressmen blocked it on states rights, the federal government had no right to force southerners to quit stringing up the darkies.

I spent all my life in the south. I am well aware of southern and northern treatment of african americans, and there is no question which was worse.
The Thread is the "Causes of the Civil War. The vast majority of Southerners are honorable people and your attempt to disparage them serves no purpose.

Old 01-11-2010, 07:11 PM

900 posts, read 673,370 times
And then there are those who defend slavery as OK because it was 'legal' and who find nothing wrong with Jim Crow and pictures like the one posted by Noetsi.

As long as those folks are alive and kicking, it doesn't matter about how many good and decent folks there are in the South.

Nobody has to disparage them. Their history speaks for itself.

Old 01-11-2010, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noetsi View Post

In answer to your question, Noetsi, this is how often they did it:

Lynching Statistics

Old 01-11-2010, 07:19 PM

177 posts, read 266,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DraggingCanoe View Post
The Thread is the "Causes of the Civil War. The vast majority of Southerners are honorable people and your attempt to disparage them serves no purpose.

The More Things Change, the More They Stay the Same

Texas Senator Louis T. Wigfall, 1861: That the people of the North shall consider themselves as more blessed than we, more civilized, and happier, is not a matter at which we would complain at all, if they would only content themselves with believing that to be the fact; but when they come and attempt to propagandize, and insist that we shall be as perfect as they imagine themselves to be, then it is that their good opinion of themselves becomes offensive to us. Let my neighbor believe that his wife is an angel and his children cherubs, I care not, though I may know he is mistaken; but when he comes impertinently poking his nose into my door every morning, and telling me that my wife is a shrew and my children brats, then the neighborhood becomes uncomfortable, and if I cannot remove him, I will remove myself; and if he says to me, “you shall not move, but you shall stay here, and you shall, day after day, hear the demerits of your wife and children discussed,” then I begin to feel a little restive, and possibly might assert that great original right of pursuing whatever may conduce to my happiness, though it might be kicking him out of my door. If New England would only be content with the blessings which she imagines she has, we would not disturb her in her happiness.

Old 01-11-2010, 07:32 PM

The causes of the War Between the States is simple to identify. Lincoln wanted to preserve the revenue. The North refused to lower the tariff and refused to abide by the Constitution regarding slavery.

I find it odd posters comment on evil of Southern slavery but make no comment on the Northern Slave trade from New England ports.

Old 01-11-2010, 08:01 PM

Because only Revisionist Rebels care about it. Nobody else does, because everybody knows that slavery was a southern birthright, and they were willing to destroy the nation in order to preserve it.

Old 01-11-2010, 08:06 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,761,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DraggingCanoe View Post
I find it odd posters comment on evil of Southern slavery but make no comment on the Northern Slave trade from New England ports.
The slave trade stopped in 1810. We're talking here about 50 years later.

Your defense of slavery is like a schoolchild's argument; an "I know you are but what am I" or "I'm rubber you're glue" kind of thing. I picture you looking like Pee Wee Herman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History