Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 03:31 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times

Advertisements

Obviously location, socio-econimic status, ethnicity, gender etc would be a factor.
I am talking about other times aside from the present. I like the present best, as most probably do.

Some of the times which interest me:
The Revolutionary War in America was violent, grinding and tumultuous, but its purpose was exciting and meaningful. Inventing a new country is no small thing. On a much more superficial note, the fashion looks somewhat uncomfortable but those tricorner hats always appealed to me, and as for the ladies, those little white caps and big hair are intriguing.
The Gilded Age (approx. 1875-1900) would have been a great time to be a rich white guy (which I certainly am not.) Business was <mostly> booming and many were unapologetically fat and happy.
World War II was another horror story but again there was collective determination on both sides (being a Yank, I favor the Allies) and being a patriot really meant something. Again, there was the coolest music and fashions. Swing music! Love the ladies' shoes and the mens' mustaches.

For the worst times, the Dark Ages, what with the plague, the feudal system and the constant fighting, seemed quite grim and stressful no matter whether you were a serf, clergy or the nobility.

And I would not want to be either an indigenous person or a bison during Manifest Destiny.

What are your choices or rejections?

Last edited by BlueWillowPlate; 02-01-2007 at 03:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2007, 03:35 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,983,593 times
For me Cil it's now. I like all the technological breakthroughs that seemed Odyssey 2000 back in 1981. I like pc's and cell phones.
I think the other periods were interesting, but imagine if you got a bad tooth in those days! What misery! Or what if you had appendicitus (which I've had), or pneumonia that without critical medical care would kill you (which I've had)....
In an earlier time period, even through WWII...I'd have been hasta la bye bye on several occasions. I like now!

Old 02-01-2007, 03:41 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
MoMark
I guess I should have posted something addressing Now.
I like Now best too. I mean, I like antibiotics and movies and many other modern conveniences.
I was thinking Aside from the present. I was just trying to appeal to people's imagination.

Old 02-01-2007, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
MoMark
I guess I should have posted something addressing Now.
I like Now best too. I mean, I like antibiotics and movies and many other modern conveniences.
I was thinking Aside from the present. I was just trying to appeal to people's imagination.
Oops... I guess my lack of imagination was revealed!
OK, I'll try...
I'd love to have a magical power...if even for a day, where I could zap myself into the Court of Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette for a couple of hours at Versailles about 1775 or so and see how it was.
Or, the Russian Court in the time of Catherine the Great to check out the atmosphere.
It would be fascinating to walk the streets of 1870's London, or visit Paris in 1890 during the height of the artistic movement.
I'd love to get a glimpse of San Francisco when it was the center of the American West, yet still rough and wild about 1870.
A glimpse would be fantastic, but I'd stay firmly anchored in the present because I'm spoiled !!

Old 02-01-2007, 04:09 PM

569 posts, read 1,228,837 times
Quote:
And I would not want to be either an indigenous person or a bison during Manifest Destiny.

What are your choices or rejections?
I agree whole heartedly with this statement, unfortunately, with Manifest Destiny, the U.S. nearly committed genocide on the Native Americans. It continues today with the poor living conditions on some of the reservations. If I was a native I would have fought just as hard as they did to save my lands from the "white devil". It's unfortunate that the U.S. did not honor the treaties signed, etc. once the Native Americans realized that they could not win.

That being said, this would be the time that I would be interested in. I am fascinated by the old west and would have loved to have been able to be there as the country grew. I'm not sure if I would have been a lawman (current profession) or an outlaw but I know I wouldn't have been a farmer.

Peace!

Old 02-01-2007, 05:35 PM

3,377 posts, read 14,622,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
Oops... I guess my lack of imagination was revealed!
OK, I'll try...
I'd love to have a magical power...if even for a day, where I could zap myself into the Court of Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette for a couple of hours at Versailles about 1775 or so and see how it was.
Or, the Russian Court in the time of Catherine the Great to check out the atmosphere.
It would be fascinating to walk the streets of 1870's London, or visit Paris in 1890 during the height of the artistic movement.
I'd love to get a glimpse of San Francisco when it was the center of the American West, yet still rough and wild about 1870.
A glimpse would be fantastic, but I'd stay firmly anchored in the present because I'm spoiled !!
MoMark, I would go back to the Garden of Eden and tell Eve, "no he's really not kidding, don't eat that freakin apple".

Old 02-01-2007, 05:43 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,085,436 times
Quote:
I would not want to be a bison at any time in history.

I wouldn't mind going back in time and experiencing Woodstock. The music...the love... could be a lot of fun.

Old 02-01-2007, 05:52 PM

3,377 posts, read 14,622,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
I would not want to be a bison at any time in history.

I wouldn't mind going back in time and experiencing Woodstock. The music...the love... could be a lot of fun.
christina if you do go back to Woodstock I'll give you some sound advice. Not that you would, but "DO NOT EAT THE BROWN ACID" If you weren't a teenager or older in the sixties ask someone that was. They will explain.

Old 02-01-2007, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exhdo1 View Post
MoMark, I would go back to the Garden of Eden and tell Eve, "no he's really not kidding, don't eat that freakin apple".
LOL! Great idea!!! Would save everyone a LOT of trouble!!!!

Old 02-01-2007, 06:28 PM

571 posts, read 2,529,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdbeard5 View Post
I agree whole heartedly with this statement, unfortunately, with Manifest Destiny, the U.S. nearly committed genocide on the Native Americans. It continues today with the poor living conditions on some of the reservations. If I was a native I would have fought just as hard as they did to save my lands from the "white devil". It's unfortunate that the U.S. did not honor the treaties signed, etc. once the Native Americans realized that they could not win.

That being said, this would be the time that I would be interested in. I am fascinated by the old west and would have loved to have been able to be there as the country grew. I'm not sure if I would have been a lawman (current profession) or an outlaw but I know I wouldn't have been a farmer.

Peace!
I agree. I too have romantic notions about the old west. The whole pioneer/frontier thing with all those wide open spaces dotted with bustling boom towns...just seems like life would have been such an adventure. Of course I'm sure the day to day realities of life back then weren't nearly as as romantic or glamorous as portrayed in Western movies (especially if you were a woman, not to mention a Native), but it would sure be an interesting time in history to visit.

On the flip side, I think life would have really sucked if you were poor during the industrial revolution...living in filthy, crowded hovels, slaving away 7 days a week in dangerous factories for pennies. Not that being poor is ever fun, but I think I would almost have rather been a rural peasant in the dark ages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History