Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 11:58 AM

4,834 posts, read 6,122,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Gangs and drugs... much, much worse now than in the '50s. Drugs in schools and 12-year-olds using drugs was almost unknown back in the '50s.
And I never said there were "no problems in the '50s," but everyone I ask liked that decade and I don't blame them one bit.
So my motto is: Thank God for the '50s! (Especially the music.)
Let me second that thought about the music., At least you could understand the words, and although the words were a bit idealistic at least no one wrote songs about killing cops, abusing women or their hate for America. I love all music with the exception of rap (yuk) and between my Wife and I we have about 100 music cds for music of all types...but I still love 50s stuff! I spent a number of years collecting all the great music and have it all on cd.

Worst crime we committed was sneaking a cigarette out of our Dad's pack. Compare that to now. Of course now is also a great time to live if you are retired as the rest of the crime and other nonsense is off of our radar screen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2007, 12:40 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,384,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey_NC View Post
Worst crime we committed was sneaking a cigarette out of our Dad's pack. Compare that to now.
Wow. What kinds of crimes do you commit now?
Just so I can compare.

Old 12-07-2007, 12:43 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
heh
I find it highly ironic that a thread I began about best/worst times to live in history is beginning to devolve into a schism over what was actually going on 40 or 50 years ago, and how good or bad it was.

B Frank's post #59 is a fine illustration of how different times in history can be interpreted, and how similar they actually can be.

Barbara Tuchman's A Distant Mirror, [The Calamitous 14th Century] is indeed a mirror to our present time. Sickness and war, poverty and privilege, social unrest and frivolity: they always seem to be with us.

Old 12-07-2007, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
Wow. What kinds of crimes do you commit now?
Just so I can compare.
LOL!!!!!

Well, I quit smoking when I entered the service and got involved in the martial arts so I guess I will have to confess now for all the world to see that my worst crime now is cursing at the tv set every time a commercial comes on, especially when I am on the Chiller channel trying to enjoy Alfred Hitchcock. There I said it...now the TV Police will probably show up and arrest me and my Wife will have to hide her head in shame!

Old 12-07-2007, 01:24 PM

392 posts, read 1,858,973 times
Quote:
LOL!!!!!

Well, I quit smoking when I entered the service and got involved in the martial arts so I guess I will have to confess now for all the world to see that my worst crime now is cursing at the tv set every time a commercial comes on, especially when I am on the Chiller channel trying to enjoy Alfred Hitchcock. There I said it...now the TV Police will probably show up and arrest me and my Wife will have to hide her head in shame!
Well you might prefer the 50's but you don't have to live in them
Get a DVR, who watches commercials anymore?

Old 12-07-2007, 01:39 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,312,803 times
Quote:
Let me second that thought about the music., At least you could understand the words, and although the words were a bit idealistic at least no one wrote songs about killing cops, abusing women or their hate for America. I love all music with the exception of rap (yuk) and between my Wife and I we have about 100 music cds for music of all types...but I still love 50s stuff! I spent a number of years collecting all the great music and have it all on cd.
Yeah, it would be nice back then to turn on the radio and not hear disco or "rap." Because it fortunately didn't exist yet.

Quote:
Worst crime we committed was sneaking a cigarette out of our Dad's pack. Compare that to now. Of course now is also a great time to live if you are retired as the rest of the crime and other nonsense is off of our radar screen.
I find it interesting that kids used to roller skate in parts of L.A. that are now high crime areas. I suppose that is true with a lot of big cities... many "good" areas back then are now high crime areas.

Old 12-07-2007, 02:18 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,572,686 times
I wouldn't want to live during the Spanish Inquisition and live in constant fear of being hauled off to their torture dungeons...

Old 12-07-2007, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stock66 View Post
Well you might prefer the 50's but you don't have to live in them
Get a DVR, who watches commercials anymore?
then what fun would I have?

Old 12-08-2007, 10:38 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,832,394 times
I sat on the curb in front of my Grandmother's house in the early 1940's and watched the Circus pass by on the way to the park where they were going to set up the Big Top.

There were clowns, women in pretty costumes riding elephants, horses pulling cages of lions and tigers, a calliope playing music, midgets juggling and doing acrobatics, and lots of wagons and trucks with all sorts of fantastic pictures painted on them.

Now it's almost 2008 and I realize I'm still sitting there and the circus is still going by. Over the years I have, marched with the clowns, danced to the music, ridden the elephants, kissed the pretty women, and juggled with the midgets.

Except for the music and the pictures on the wagons, not much has changed.

Old 12-08-2007, 11:56 AM

1,197 posts, read 3,582,633 times
The best of times for me was the 1980's when I was growing up!
Wonderful "kick but" cop shows, the feeling of innocence as a child, travelling in the big Oldsmobile that got 15 mpg on a long trip to Grandma's house 3 hours away!

The worst of times in my opinion would be during the Civil war in the U.S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History