Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 07:53 PM

8,948 posts, read 20,372,776 times

Advertisements

As much as I like the those old Western movies and TV shows.....take me back there, give me a good 6-shooter and a U.S. Marshall badge and I would love to be Matt Dillon Jr.. Fast with a gun and a badge to back it up. "Come on bad guys........MAKE MY DAY!!!!!!!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2007, 08:16 PM

2,098 posts, read 6,329,602 times
I'm only in my 30's so I haven't witnessed too many eras. But here's a few thoughts: Right now is personally, mentally and emotionally the best time in my life, I have a wonderful family and I wouldn't trade this life for anything. I'll take the struggles just to have the honor of watching my children grow up (healthy and happy of course)

However, in order to answer your question otherwise, this is what I've pondered...I liked the 80's, everything was more innocent (enough said) I liked not being computer wizzes, I liked thinking we'd all be flying hovercrafts by 2000 (it was scary and exciting), I liked atari and MacIntosh Apple computers. Everyone seemed to be on one wavelength. It didn't matter who was smarter or skinnier or had a nicer car (we all had ugly cars ), or had the most money and the most clothes...at least from what I remember. Hackers? What were those?!?!?! I liked having one remote (or that big goofy cable box with those huge white buttons that made those loud clicks when you pressed them down) and only a few choices on TV, now you can spend a lifetime flipping 1000 channels and still not find anything good. Kidnapping, HA! You were told to stay outside until dinner or dark and your parents never thought some freak stole you off the street. Those were some great days.

The 70's, well, although I was born and spent a few years in the 70's most of what I remember kind of intermingled with the early 80's. I would've enjoyed being in my 20's because people liked to dress up and go dancing, aside from the party drugs, it was a happier time once vietnam was over. However, I would've enjoyed the mid to late 60's too because I love hippies and rock n' roll.

With that said, if I could go back in time to an era before I existed, I think I would enjoy when my grandmother was growing up. She was born in 1913 and regardless of the hardships of the 20's and 30's, women had such self-respect it was unbelievable. They took care of themselves, they were always (well, mostly) dressed appropriately, they carried themselves with dignity. Every picture I've seen of my grandmother, she and her sisters and friends were always dressed to the "T". Beautiful clothes, beautiful hairstyles, the men were always handsome. They opened doors for the women, the tipped their hats to people on the streets....where did that go? My father always said that one thing he'd never forget about my grandfather (my mom's dad) was that until the day he died, in 1999, he always tipped his hat to a woman and always spoke respectfully to them (except when he and my grandmother argued in Italian LOL). Men were gentlemen and women were ladies......that's where I'd go.

Old 11-14-2007, 11:54 PM

7,731 posts, read 13,429,365 times
The Dark Ages , in my opinion would be the worst time because of the Plauge.

Old 11-15-2007, 04:50 AM

384 posts, read 1,132,422 times
I'd so for right now that America is going to go into dark times. I think we will really see it in the next three years, but really feel it in the next 20. We are losing all our jobs that used to be high paying to overseas, and while the jobs exist here they are low paying now when they used to be able to sustain families.

It seems like the only truly secure jobs (if you do them well) are government jobs, teaching, nursing and healthcare, etc. Not a good time to get a business degree in my opinion.

Old 11-15-2007, 11:41 AM

1,451 posts, read 2,490,553 times
Quote:
The Revolutionary War in America was violent, grinding and tumultuous, but its purpose was exciting and meaningful. Inventing a new country is no small thing. On a much more superficial note, the fashion looks somewhat uncomfortable but those tricorner hats always appealed to me, and as for the ladies, those little white caps and big hair are intriguing.
This era to me seems awsome. The attire, the war, housing everything. Living in New England I'm surrounded by this history and can look out my window at a graveyard on the horizon of people from this very age buried. Now given I was promised complete health, and died of NATURAL causes in my sleep lol I might give this time period a shot

Old 11-15-2007, 03:16 PM

3,162 posts, read 11,436,860 times
I would have loved to live in ancient India, when it was the aryavarta

Aryavarta - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Or in the times of the Mayas, when they were on the peak of their civilization

Old 11-15-2007, 06:17 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
I think that the post WWII era was a great time. We hadn't lost our innocence, the country was on a wave of optimism, so many great advancements were poised to be made in medicine, science, and industry. Meaningful social revolution was on the horizon, and you could buy a nice house for under $10,000. Just think of all the great stock buys we could have made if only we'd known..

Old 11-15-2007, 08:19 PM

462 posts, read 1,877,215 times
Best time. To me, it would be to live in a small California beach town in the late 1940's, into the 50's, 60's, and 70's. 2nd best would be with Gauguin, painting, in Tahiti in the late 19th century. Worst time. The Ice Age.

Old 11-15-2007, 09:05 PM

12 posts, read 49,891 times
I would liked to have lived in the old west time. Where I could shoot anyone who came in my house without being in trouble.

The worst time is now. Things are not fun any more compared to then.

Old 11-16-2007, 11:07 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
Post civil war in the North
Budong's post of small Cali beach town in the 40's & 50's

worst time or area ...anywhere Atilla the Hun was
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History