Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2007, 06:46 PM

1,590 posts, read 1,669,280 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know the Sands Point Country club? Does it still exist, even?

The notorious Kingfish of Louisiana, Huey Long, was partying there, once upon a time. He had had a lot to drink. He had to go to the bathroom, went to the men's room, but found all the urinals taken. So, he tried to use one that was still occupied by aiming between one of the occupiers legs. Sadly for him, he was not much of a "#1 marksman" and he soaked the guys leg. Understandably, the fellow was outraged and socked him one. He wound up with a big shiner - it became a national incident.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 01:18 PM

1 posts, read 2,144 times
Default Sands point - Huey Long

Hello,

I don't know if this will reach they original poster but I though I would try. As well you might have found your answer (and more) due to the lenght of time that has passed.

I have a medal/ medallion that was made in honor of the infamous Row in the Sands Point men's room. I have this medal becasue I was told by my father that my grandfather was the one who slugged the "Kingfish" the day in August of 1936. Now there are a handful of medals out there and others have it but my grandfather was a member and was well off (he was the president of three cigar companies) and in the high society and it woudl be very bad to have a "member" punch out a US Senator - regardless if he was a jerk. So they rushed my g'father out and only a handful of people know (knew) who decked the Kingfish. The papers were told a story that some young guest of a member did the swinging...

The medal is quite interesting. It shows an image on the front depicting the incident and a note on the back "
By Public Acclaim For A Deed Done In Private August 18th 1936 Sands Point Beach Club

Again, probably you know about the medal but not about my grandfather.

Anyway though you might be interested in this info...

Last edited by UrbanMariner; 08-03-2009 at 01:24 PM.. Reason: correcting text
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History