Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2008, 03:17 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,891,840 times

Advertisements

Lovelock says the Earth is an old dame, and has only 500 million [thousand?] years to live...and I'm curious to know if Civilization , with climate change , pollution, overpopulation, will last that long...so I'd like to be projected 499.000 years from now in the future by the Time Machine, that's the ultimate in SciFi...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2008, 06:40 AM

2,377 posts, read 5,412,349 times
Interesting...everyone else has chosen to go back in time..

Old 04-02-2008, 07:18 AM

184 posts, read 1,546,204 times
Even though I'm a history buff, given the choice of 'direction' I too would rather travel into the future than the past.

When I consider all of the incredible things in todays world that my grandparents and great-grandparents (all of whom were born AFTER the Industrial Revolution!) could never even have imagined ...... much less what my paternal ancestor who arrived in America 15 generations ago could possibly have imagined... my mind boggles at the thought of what life on Earth might be like 20, 30, or 50 generations down the line! I'd love to see that, because it no doubt will be as far ahead of us technologically as we are ahead of the court of William the Conqueror.

I've always loved books, movies, etc. about people from the past who time-travel into the (present day) future and their reactions and adaptations to our world. Of course it's easy for us, being on the 'advanced' end of the time track, to envision things like that but it's just as impossible for us to envision the world of even 100,000 years in the future as it would have been for my born-in-1776 ancestor to have envisioned almost any aspect of my quite ordinary daily life!

Heck, even my father, who was born in 1919, died before he had a chance to ever use a Windows PC (and he, being a science-and-technology junkie, would have loved it)...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History