Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 12:45 PM

1,634 posts, read 1,209,113 times

Advertisements

Lol..wait so Hitler ans Stalin BOTH killed people by order. Except, Hitler killed some 6 million jews and Stalin threw some 20 million at the Wermacht in a pretty useless war of attrition...on top of killing anybody and everybody out of paranoia of treason.

But somehow Hitler is worse....

You guys ate up the propaganda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2014, 12:54 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,366,258 times
I think when you get over a certain number of deaths, "worse" becomes an inanity.

Old 02-26-2014, 01:01 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,110,503 times
How many incarnations of this same question have we seen? We are talking about two men who decided that an unlimited number of homicides and an unrestricted amount of suffering were acceptable to advance their visions of what their nations should be.

Once you are across that line you are morally the same as anyone else who has made that decision. If Soandso held up a bank and killed one person during the attempt, while Jobleau also held up a bank and killed two people in the attempt, that does not rehabilitate Soandso in any manner, nor does he become more moral because his casualty rate was just 50% of Jobleau's.

Old 02-26-2014, 01:21 PM

3,070 posts, read 5,230,824 times
It's going to depend on who you ask I guess.

My family were non-Jewish Hungarians so it was a no-brainer for them, Stalin was hated and they didn't MIND Hitler (something a lot of elderly Hungarians don't seem to be embarrassed of), since they believe he would have brought prosperity to the region and they didn't care much for Jews/communism.

Old 02-26-2014, 02:13 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,874,806 times
Too quote George Thorogood: Sometimes bad is bad.

Is a person that kills 10 somehow less evil than one killing 1000? 1,000,000? 10,000,000? Is Pol Pot worse than Mao? Mao worse than Stalin or Hitler? I think not. Sometimes bad is bad.

The OP seems to propose levels of evil. I disagree. There is no need for charting and ranking here. Religious folks have the concept of cardinal sins. Murder is one of them. And, it only takes one murder to be condemned for eternity. I'll bet Jeffrey Dahmers victims felt he was 100% evil. Yet, he didn't do nearly the large numbers of Hitler and gang. Bad is bad.

Bad IS bad; and both these guys were as bad as people get.

Old 02-26-2014, 02:17 PM

45,344 posts, read 60,522,810 times
One death is a tragedy. A million deaths is a statistic.

Old 02-26-2014, 02:46 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,071,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chin_Muzik_NJ View Post
Lol..wait so Hitler ans Stalin BOTH killed people by order. Except, Hitler killed some 6 million jews and Stalin threw some 20 million at the Wermacht in a pretty useless war of attrition...on top of killing anybody and everybody out of paranoia of treason.

I'm note sure if the poster's 20 million figure even refers to W.W.2.
It may refer to the millions who starved in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holodomor combined with the millions more who died in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gulag

Old 02-26-2014, 04:02 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,468,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chin_Muzik_NJ View Post

Hitler killed many more than just 6 million Jews. He killed millions more ethnic Germans, Russians, Slavs, Gypsies, French, Dutch, Polish, British, Norwegian, and others. To say he only killed 6 million Jews, so he is somehow less evil than Stalin, is beyond stupid. Further, he brought widespread destruction to all of Europe and ruined countless more lives.

Also, you say Stalin "threw some 20 million at the Wermacht in a pretty useless war of attrition".... Are you serious? So the Russians soldiers defending their homeland against total annihilation from the Nazi's was a useless war of attrition? Should they have just raised the white flag and let Hitler take over and murder all of their citizens? Would that make Stalin less culpable?

I think your 20 million figure is way off. You are co-mingling the Russian soldiers who died in warfare with the Russian citizens that Stalin murdered.

Stalin was clearly an evil dictator. I would say he was equally as bad as Hitler. But Hitler wins the worst person award because he is the one who invaded.

Old 02-26-2014, 06:04 PM

618 posts, read 938,602 times
Hitler was worse. Hitler's plans for Poland, Ukraine and other Slavic countries was total EXTERMINATION with a few uneducated left to do some grunt work for the master race 10-15 years after occupation . We all know about what he did to the Jews. Stalin never had such plans. Hitler is in a class by himself. Sad and disgusting to say, but with Stalin you at least had a chance to live. I have many Polish friends who say Stalin was worse. I always think to myself if Hitler won, they would be dead or not even born. So it's really a choice of living in a brutal communist dictatorship or death.

Last edited by jobseeker2013; 02-26-2014 at 06:39 PM..

Old 02-26-2014, 06:46 PM

1,600 posts, read 1,888,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
One death is a tragedy. A million deaths is a statistic.
It's not a Stalin's phrase as commonly believed because it's taken from Remarque's "The Black Obelisk"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History