Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 04:51 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,471,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
1. To be fair, Hitler might have very well thought that France and the U.K. were bluffing once again when they threatened to go to war with him over Poland.

2. Agreed, though I think that Hitler would have kept some Slavic people alive and turned them into Nazi slaves (which really wasn't a fate much better than death).
Hitler was going to invade France regardless. So this idea that the French started the war because they declared it is laughable.

I agree that Hitler may have thought the Allies were bluffing, but just because they called his bluff, doesn't shift the burden of starting the war onto the Allies. Hitler was warned not to invade or risk war. He invaded, and he got war. The blame goes on Hitler.

Further, the Allies only went to war on paper. Outside of a weak temporary invasion of the Saarland, the Allies withdrew and there was relative peace for nearly a year. It wasn't until Germany invaded France that those countries actually started fighting on a large scale. This shows you who the aggressor was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2014, 04:57 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,471,842 times
When we measure how many people Hitler and Stalin each killed, are we ignoring military deaths? Since Hitler started the war, shouldn't we also add the massive number troop casualties to the Russians, British, French, U.S., etc. on him?

Old 03-02-2014, 06:53 PM

182 posts, read 195,242 times
Quote:
1. To be fair, Hitler might have very well thought that France and the U.K. were bluffing once again when they threatened to go to war with him over Poland.

2. Agreed, though I think that Hitler would have kept some Slavic people alive and turned them into Nazi slaves (which really wasn't a fate much better than death).
< Sigh >

Slavs, for example in Herzegovina had full rights in the Reich. Enough of the bull**** Western perspective.

Old 03-02-2014, 07:03 PM

51 posts, read 48,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
Are you serious? Germany started the war by invading Poland. They knew that by invading Poland it was a de-facto declaration of war on France and the U.K. Germany wanted to go to war with France. The only reason France and Britain didn't go to war sooner is because of appeasement.

The only reason Stalin killed more people is because he had a larger population to kill from and more time to kill people. Had Hitler been in power 30 years and had 4 times as many people under his control, the numbers would have been similar or worse. Hitler would have exterminated the entire Slavic population had he conquered the U.S.S.R.

and Stalin didn't invade eastern Poland 2 weeks after Hitler did? he did!.......and I can only judge what happened and facts not ifs scenarios.

Stalin with the Red Army would have taken all Europe and more after WW2 and the only thing that prevented him was the U.S. and the ATOMIC BOMB!.

Old 03-02-2014, 08:26 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,795,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky8828 View Post
< Sigh >

Slavs, for example in Herzegovina had full rights in the Reich. Enough of the bull**** Western perspective.
Was Bosnia and Herzegovina under direct Nazi Germany control or under the control of the Croatian Ustase puppet regime, though?

Also, I am not sure that the Ustase were that friendly to Bosniaks, considering that they killed individuals such as Muhamed Mehmedbasic (see here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muhamed_MehmedbaÅ¡ić) who apparently did nothing wrong to them.

I will admit that the Nazis were willing to cooperate with Slavic people (such as Ukrainians, Croats, et cetera) when it suited their interests (such as having these people help the Nazis kill Jews). However, AFAIK, Nazi racial ideology/philosophy still considered Slavs to be inferior peoples.

Old 03-02-2014, 08:27 PM

821 posts, read 1,100,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky8828 View Post
< Sigh >

Apparently Futurist didn't see our mention of the many Germans in the Reich with Slavic ancestry, some of them high ranking and that Hitler's chauffeur Erich Kempka and Gerda Daranowski were FULL Ruhr-Polish, nor did he see the photograph of Hitler and other German's at Pilsudski's funeral.

He also had an honor guard assigned to Pilsudski's grave throughout the duration of the General Government.

It's actually rumored (perhaps false) that Hitler had an affair with the Polish actress Pola Negri, who was one of his favorites.

Bizarre for a man to admire and surround himself with those he considers subhuman.

I don't have much time to scroll around here but if I recall correctly, someone riffed because I said Obama is half white because of his dark skin tone. Meanwhile his mother was white. It's come to the point in which people are annoyed that you you can't say someone with partial European-White ancestry is HALF WHITE or that many or most Jews are partially white.

Old 03-02-2014, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
1. Hitler was going to invade France regardless.

2. So this idea that the French started the war because they declared it is laughable.

3. I agree that Hitler may have thought the Allies were bluffing, but just because they called his bluff, doesn't shift the burden of starting the war onto the Allies. Hitler was warned not to invade or risk war. He invaded, and he got war. The blame goes on Hitler.

4. Further, the Allies only went to war on paper. Outside of a weak temporary invasion of the Saarland, the Allies withdrew and there was relative peace for nearly a year. It wasn't until Germany invaded France that those countries actually started fighting on a large scale. This shows you who the aggressor was.
1. Maybe and maybe not. Honestly, I am skeptical that Hitler would have voluntarily went to war with France until he would have felt that Germany was ready for such a war (which might not have been for a while--keep in mind that the rapid Nazi victory in France in 1940 was a surprise even to many of the Nazis themselves).

2. Actually, I do think that there is a fair point to be made that a large-scale European war began in 1939 because Britain and France declared war that year. Had Britain and France not done this, then WWII might have still eventually broke out, but at a later year.

3. Honestly, I could see the blame going both ways for this. Hitler obviously deserves the blame for invading Poland, but the U.K. and/or France deserve the blame for encouraging Poland to be resistant to Hitler's demands (such as for Danzig) with that Polish guarantee of theirs, as well as for declaring war on Nazi Germany in 1939.

For the record, please keep in mind that I am not necessarily saying that it was a bad decision for the U.K. and France to declare war on Nazi Germany in 1939--rather, I am simply trying to honestly analyze all of the information and facts here.

4. Actually, I think that Britain and France would have eventually launched a large(r)-scale invasion of Nazi Germany had Nazi Germany not invaded them first. After all, they already declared war on the Nazis--thus, I am skeptical that they would be willing to simply "weasel out" of this war afterwards.

Old 03-02-2014, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebrator View Post
Apparently Futurist didn't see our mention of the many Germans in the Reich with Slavic ancestry, some of them high ranking and that Hitler's chauffeur Erich Kempka and Gerda Daranowski were FULL Ruhr-Polish, nor did he see the photograph of Hitler and other German's at Pilsudski's funeral.

He also had an honor guard assigned to Pilsudski's grave throughout the duration of the General Government.

It's actually rumored (perhaps false) that Hitler had an affair with the Polish actress Pola Negri, who was one of his favorites.

Bizarre for a man to admire and surround himself with those he considers subhuman.

I don't have much time to scroll around here but if I recall correctly, someone riffed because I said Obama is half white because of his dark skin tone. Meanwhile his mother was white. It's come to the point in which people are annoyed that you you can't say someone with partial European-White ancestry is HALF WHITE or that many or most Jews are partially white.
Please let me look up all of these claims of yours later.

Old 03-02-2014, 08:36 PM

I also remember NJ and/or someone else stating that Hitler stated he aimed to exterminate Slavs in Mein Kampf. Such discussion was not in Mein Kampf at all. From what I gather from that rather laborious tome is that Hitler in his younger years was a German chauvinist who although was for pan-European unity and admired all sorts of white people, felt that the Slavs were sort like the backwards hicks of Europe who couldn't get their act together, needed guidance from their Germanic cousins, and many had allowed themselves to be subjugated by and fooled by the lure of Bolshevism. He was also annoyed by the all European but multicultural hodgepodge that was the Austro-Hungarian Empire had become in that it diluted German culture. He did not hate other Europeans as people; he had problems with them politically and culturally, sort of like a higher level of having squabbles with one's own family members.

Old 03-02-2014, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Please let me look up all of these claims of yours later.
Claims? Now stating who is chauffeur and secretary and childhood best friend (August Kubizek, a Czech German) were, all of whom were of Slavic descent, are now "claims"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History