Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2007, 05:33 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,614,054 times

Advertisements

WASHINGTON - Residents of Central America were enjoying chocolate drinks more than 3,000 years ago, a half millennium earlier than previously thought, new research shows.

Chocolate used more than 3,000 years ago - Yahoo! News (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2007, 10:14 AM

2,636 posts, read 6,651,159 times
There's a museum of chocolate only a few miles from where I live (yes, I do feel lucky ) and they have the type of chocolate that they used to drink all those thousands of years ago in little cups for you to try. It's nice but my goodness it's bitter! It's not just like melting down a modern choccy bar as I'd have imagined.

Old 11-20-2007, 06:35 AM

3,162 posts, read 11,438,946 times
I thought it would be nice to say that the original nahuatl word for Chocolate was.

Xocoatl (pronounced sho-co-at-l)

For the Mexicas it was a beverage so holy that it was offered to the gods, they didn't drink it, that's why when spaniards conquered Mexico they felt like gods themselves for drinking it.

The original xocoatl beverage was made of cacau and water, milk was added later because there weren't cows in the new world until the spaniards introduced them.

cacau or cocoa was also used as currency for some prehispanic civilizations.

All about Chocolate -- www.xocoatl.org -- mrk.'s Chocolate Site

For many millennia Cacao grew in the understory of the tropical rainforest the northern Amazon basin. Together with the plethora of plants, animals and insects of the rainforest, it thrived in the shade on the forest floor and lived on the nutrients and water passed down from the canopy above.
The history of this this popular plant's use is somewhat clouded by numerous wildly conflicting stories. The myths, legends, propaganda and inaccuracies in the history of Chocolate are profound. Especially suspect are the manufacturers websites!! I have tried to discard the sloppy and biased stories that are clearly inaccurate, but that still leaves some questions!

Cacao has been a cultivated crop for at least 3,000 years, probably quite a bit more. Before that it is certain that the seeds of wild Cacao trees were gathered. Initially a few Cacao trees would be planted just inside the heavy rainforest, mixed with both wild and cultivated understory plants. Eventually that grew to more specific plots of Cacao, still under the canopy and within the rainforest.

The people who first utilized Cacao were the inhabitants of what is now Venezuela in northwestern South America, where the tree is native. I strongly suspect that they created Cacao as we know it, just as the Inca created the potato using their rather advanced genetic technology. (Most high production food plants, certainly including Potatoes, Squash, Maize (corn) and Bananas, were engineered over many generations by the natives of their respective areas to produce large and plentiful fruit.) The Olmec Civilization (3500 to 2500 years ago) consumed the beverage and it was used to fortify soldiers during marches and in battle.

The Aztecs called the drink, and apparently the bean as well, Xocoatl. From this word comes the pan-European word Chocolate. (I have seen a reference of questionable dependability which suggested that "xocoatl" meant "foam in water", and therefore referred to the drink, not the plant.)The word Cacao comes from comes from the Mayan word for the plant was "Cacau". Because of a spelling error, probably by English traders long ago, these beans became known as Cocoa beans.

Love and Light!

Old 08-27-2016, 11:58 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,853,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960
Chocolate used more than 3,000 years ago - Yahoo! News (broken link)
Thats quite interesting John!!

That must mean chocolate IS NATURAL!!!

Here is the article buddy: http://www.ctvnews.ca/chocolate-used...s-ago-1.263856

Old 08-28-2016, 12:08 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,793,315 times
Wow, this thread's old.

I'll add that cacao was found to have reached the present day USA approximately a thousand years ago. First Chocoholics in U.S. Found in New Mexico?

Old 08-28-2016, 12:17 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
The civilizations of the American Southwest traded with the Aztecs and Maya, so it shouldn't be surprising that cacao came along on the trade network along with parrot feathers, ritual objects, and even the crafts of weaving and pottery-making.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History