Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 10:12 AM

6,104 posts, read 5,997,045 times

Advertisements

The attitude of the OP reminds me of an old joke about Sammy Davis Jr. As a black American he converted to Judism. Sammy was reported to say , that, becoming a Jew was a real breakthrough, "Now I can hate myself!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 06:06 PM

596 posts, read 983,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
The attitude of the OP reminds me of an old joke about Sammy Davis Jr. As a black American he converted to Judism. Sammy was reported to say , that, becoming a Jew was a real breakthrough, "Now I can hate myself!"

Perhaps he only converted so that he could tell the jokes...

Seinfeld in confession - YouTube

Old 10-07-2018, 06:12 AM

2,623 posts, read 3,155,244 times
I always heard both terms and assumed they were more or less the same.

Since you mention it, I guess it stands to reason that if the Nazis wanted to immediately kill a certain group, a death camp would be used. If they needed work done first by a group, the concentration camp would be the place. They could get some work out of them first, then kill them or starve them, etc.

I only recently read that Bayer provided the poison gas often used, that Volkswagen and Siemens had factories at some camps and that Siemens built some of the gas facilities.

As an electrician sometimes having to use Siemens products, this makes me sick.

Old 10-07-2018, 06:55 AM

8,274 posts, read 8,671,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmellc View Post

Since you mention it, I guess it stands to reason that if the Nazis wanted to immediately kill a certain group, a death camp would be used. If they needed work done first by a group, the concentration camp would be the place. They could get some work out of them first, then kill them or starve them, etc.

I only recently read that Bayer provided the poison gas often used, that Volkswagen and Siemens had factories at some camps and that Siemens built some of the gas facilities.

And some of the German uniforms were made by Hugo Boss who was a Nazi.

Old 10-07-2018, 07:09 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,799,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmellc View Post

I thought it was IG Farben. No matter though.

These camps and their killing machinery obviously weren't the work of some unskilled handymen. They were planned and built with an eye towards efficiency and volume. It took professional people from big companies to get the designs "right".

It wasn't only the working class that participated in the Holocaust. It was supported by the highest reaches of society.

Old 10-07-2018, 07:16 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,284,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
I thought it was IG Farben. No matter though.

These camps and their killing machinery obviously weren't the work of some unskilled handymen. They were planned and built with an eye towards efficiency and volume. It took professional people from big companies to get the designs "right".

It wasn't only the working class that participated in the Holocaust. It was supported by the highest reaches of society.
Also, another difference is concentration camps go back to pretty much the start of
thr Nazi regime...1933....whereas the death camps were much later, like during the war,
mostly after 1942.

Old 10-07-2018, 10:26 AM

2,264 posts, read 1,488,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Jew View Post
people don't seem to get the difference.
so

there were 6 death camps.
there were around 980 concentration camps.

a death camp is a concentration camp.
a concentration camp is not necessarily a death camp.

a death camp was practically only used for murder.
a concentration camp had many purposes.
All quite true.

And... so what?

Given that in common English usage the term 'concentration camp' is all but synonymous with 'death camp', the only people who use 'concentration camp' to mean something other than 'death camp' seem to be those intentionally spoiling for an argument wherein they can lord their self-perceived superior knowledge of terminology over others.

Old 10-07-2018, 06:41 PM

8,274 posts, read 8,671,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
All quite true.

And... so what?

Given that in common English usage the term 'concentration camp' is all but synonymous with 'death camp', the only people who use 'concentration camp' to mean something other than 'death camp' seem to be those intentionally spoiling for an argument wherein they can lord their self-perceived superior knowledge of terminology over others.
Or it could be that some people would rather stick to the actual designations on a history forum. It's bad enough that some people refer to internment camps as concentration camps. There are very big differences among the 3.

Old 10-07-2018, 07:24 PM

2,264 posts, read 1,488,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Or it could be that some people would rather stick to the actual designations on a history forum. It's bad enough that some people refer to internment camps as concentration camps. There are very big differences among the 3.
Internment camps and concentration camps are by definition the exact same thing.

Quote:
Interned persons may be held in prisons or in facilities known as internment camps. In certain contexts, these may also be known either officially or pejoratively, as concentration camps.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internment

When you intern (interment camp) people, you are by definition concentrating (concentration camp) them.

You can't have it both ways. If you're going to insist on the strict definition and ignore the cultural context in one instance, then you have to accept the strict definition and ignore the cultural context in all instances.

Old 10-07-2018, 07:32 PM

45,471 posts, read 60,692,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Jew View Post
people don't seem to get the difference.
so

there were 6 death camps.
there were around 980 concentration camps.

a death camp is a concentration camp.
a concentration camp is not necessarily a death camp.

a death camp was practically only used for murder.
a concentration camp had many purposes.
I'll address this from a classroom teacher (well a retired one) perspective. In the type of History survey courses (usually US and World, maybe AP European) you find in high school and college there just isn't time to go into that type of detail, especially when the focus iron the Holocaust totality is the focus. I would mention the differentiation in passing but not much else. Occasionally you'd have a kid who would already know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History