Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 07:20 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,878,020 times

Advertisements

had the south wont the war, slavery would still have gone away as machine technology would have made having many slaves economically disastrous. that coupled with the high inflation that south was facing by printing huge amounts of currency would have meant a weak economy for years if not decades to come.

in the end slavery would have died on its own weight, and the south would have been looking to the north for economic help, as the north would have built their economy through industry. it would be a tough way to go for both countries though, and eventually the CSA would have reintegrated with the north most likely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2011, 07:44 PM

2,196 posts, read 1,996,399 times
Default "Pride In CSA Southern History Is Alive & Well In 2011" ... And Thats A Fact Y'all ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Hi Everyone!

I dont know a lot about the Civil War but I do know some things. I'm just curios as to where history buffs think the United States would be at today had the Confederacy won the Civil War? Naturaly slavery would have gone on longer than it did, but would it still be alive today? Don you think the Confederate states would be their own nation or do you think they would have eventualy joined the Union again? What would be different?
WhipperSnapper 88 !!! ... Excellent Subject !

Indeed ... I appreciate your interest in the facinating Civil War or ( War Of Northern Aggression).

Perhaps our America would have had even greater influence and power on the world stage under CSA leadership than it has experienced under the United States of America ! Just saying .....

It is intriguing to consider and to attempt to deduce what might have been ... if General Lee would have been the victor and General Grant had surrendered his Army !

Truly facinating stuff ... as actual history always is for those who would but consider the facts and resist attempting to re-write it to suit the looney PC mindset !

An America under Southern CSA leadership from 1865 on may well have been the stuff that dreams are made of ... and we did come damn close to really finding out what it would have been like shortly after the War stated with all those glorious Southern victories !

Keep up the good work WhipperSnapper 88 ! There are millions of good folks in the U.S. who understand Southern Pride & Heritage regarding the Civil War and the great Southern CSA military history of that most facinating era !

Cheers / Old Sgt. Lamar

Old 09-18-2011, 09:22 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,775,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Funk View Post
An America under Southern CSA leadership from 1865 on may well have been the stuff that dreams are made of ... and we did come damn close to really finding out what it would have been like shortly after the War stated with all those glorious Southern victories !

What early southern victories? Surely not the loss of West Virginia, Kentucky, Nashville, New Orleans, western Tennessee and most the Carolina coast?

Old 09-18-2011, 09:25 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,775,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
All-in-all, it is better for the South today that they lost.

That's no lie. If it weren't for the Federal government that so many southerners whine about they'd have to go all the way to Michigan to find a lake to put their bass boats in.

Old 09-19-2011, 01:01 PM

57 posts, read 195,245 times
I think if the South had won our country would be just like South Africa was. There will be no justice for many people. When a group of people are suppressed, there will be a lot fighting for human rights. The north winning the war laid the foundation for chance for suppressed people to have basic human rights. Building a country on free labor would end eventually, suppressed people would flee to other places to live.

Old 09-19-2011, 01:20 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,962,797 times
While I recognize and share some of the pride that my fellow southerners have in the more romantic and idealized southern side of the war, the simple fact is that if we had won we might all very well be speaking German.

Old 09-19-2011, 01:24 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,345,867 times
.......then all of us would call lunch "dinner."

Old 09-19-2011, 01:39 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,560,715 times
No one ever wins a war.

Old 09-19-2011, 04:37 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,691,290 times
It's hard to say really. I believe that the USA and CSA would be close partners in the modern day, assuming they hadn't rejoined already. To say that the US and CS wouldn't have put up a united front against the Axis in WWII is I believe incorrect. While the Confederacy would have probably had a more isolationist policy at the time, I find it extremely difficult to believe that the Japanese attacking Pearl Harbor (Assuming it was under US Control and events would have unfolded to make it so) wouldn't have angered folks in the CSA as well. As to abolition, it was on it's way out due to international pressure primarily & later mechanization. It is also possible that the CSA would have planned to deport blacks or gave them incentives to form their own communities in isolation from whites. At the same time, it is also possible that segregation wouldn't have ever came to light & blacks would have been denied access to services and facilities altogether just like what the freedmen in the antebellum period experienced.

I believe basically that the USA and CSA would be close partners, much as Canada & the US are in the modern day.

Old 09-20-2011, 09:05 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,973,303 times
An interesting brain teaser to chew upon . What I, as a European, am curious about is how the global role of the United States would have looked like in case of the CSA winning the war. Suppose the CSA would have been the superior force in the next century, would they also have eventually risen to world domination and acted the way the US has acted? Or would they have taken a different approach on Germany, Soviet Union, Vietnam, Iraq,...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History