Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 07:49 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,006,115 times

Advertisements

Help me understand why the hospital would do this.

My husband is in the hospital following double knee replacement surgery
a week ago . Infection of course is one of the greatest concerns.
Friday they told him he had a slightly elevated white blood count
that could indicate an infection somewhere.
Saturday they ran lots of blood test and urinalysis.
Sunday they decide to put him on an antibiotic.

I am no doctor but why not just start full spectrum antibiotics
when they first saw the white blood count high.

If fact why not do preventive antibiotics if infection is such an hight danger immediately following surgery???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2010, 09:34 AM

2,222 posts, read 10,646,529 times
A high white blood cell count can occur due to stress on the body such as surgery, and other reasons. I think what they did is appropriate. My mother in-law recently had a knee replacement. No antibiotics given at all. A couple months down the road she did have to have them when an infection became apparent. She is now 5 months post surgery and doing well.

I am currently battling a high white blood cell count for unknown reasons. Had all the tests and they have not put me on antibiotics.

I hope all is well for your husband and he recovers well.

Old 04-25-2010, 05:59 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,695,297 times
I'm just guessing here because I just had my appendix out and I did recieve antibiotics and did have a high white blood cell count. I also work as a RX tech and I do know they do want to be careful about using antibiotics so that the bacteria doesn't become immune. Or if there is any chance that you have a viral type of thing going on then antibiotics would be of no help. Again I am just wildly guessing with a little bit of knowledge which can on occasion be worse than none.

Old 04-25-2010, 06:09 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,222,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
Help me understand why the hospital would do this.

My husband is in the hospital following double knee replacement surgery
a week ago . Infection of course is one of the greatest concerns.
Friday they told him he had a slightly elevated white blood count
that could indicate an infection somewhere.
Saturday they ran lots of blood test and urinalysis.
Sunday they decide to put him on an antibiotic.

I am no doctor but why not just start full spectrum antibiotics
when they first saw the white blood count high.

If fact why not do preventive antibiotics if infection is such an hight danger immediately following surgery???
Every patient typically receives a dose of intravenous antibiotics prior to the incision being made in orthopaedic surgery when an implant is to be used...

There is good science to promote this practice.

There is equally good science to show that "prophylactic" antibiotic use after surgery is useless in trying to "prevent" an infection.

Old 04-25-2010, 07:20 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,807,637 times
There are many different types of bacteria. W/o a culture, giving an antibiotic blindly could be useless.

Old 05-02-2010, 08:19 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,006,115 times
Thanks for all the answers.
He is doing great!!!

Old 03-02-2012, 12:36 PM

1 posts, read 32,959 times
My husband had knee replacement and it clearly states on the post op information we were sent home with that if he got sick with a cold or anything to contact them. Well, he did and the doctor said if he ended up with a fever at some point to call back and they would put him on antibiotics...apparently the knee could be compromised from infection in any other part of the body. Increases in white blood cell counts usually means anything from stress to fighting off infections or colds is my understanding.

Old 03-02-2012, 01:06 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,519,774 times
Yes, that is true. If he gets a fever it is likely that infection has set in and that will lower WBC.

Old 10-16-2016, 08:38 PM

1 posts, read 14,359 times
I was supposed to have surgery this week and my wbc was high my doctor put me on antibiotics for a wk now my orthopedic surgeon was mad idk I'm so confused I need to get this back surgery over with my l4 l5 lumbar the day of my surgery i was hooked up to the Iv n my orthopedic surgeon comes in says I wanna recheck ur wbc of course he comes back in says ur going home i can't do ur surgery ur wbc is way too high it was 15

Old 10-17-2016, 10:15 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Be very careful with antibiotics, especially with those in the fluoroquinolone family (Cipro, Levaquin, etc). Taking them for minor infections is like going after a mouse with a flame thrower, and they are over prescribed. There are so many potentially devastating side effects that there have been numerous warnings from the FDA over the past few years, encouraging doctors to reconsider prescribing these, which were originally designed to treat anthrax and bubonic plague (literally).

I took Cipro for one week for a mild condition about seven years ago and that one week destroyed both my Achilles tendons, which had to be surgically rebuilt. You can probably imagine just how much fun that was - and how often I wish I had never taken that unnecessary antibiotic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness