Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2020, 08:28 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,268,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
I think I sleep too much at night ~ and from what I read online it's not healthy and shortens the lifespan

If there's nothing on TV that holds my attention, I'll fall asleep at around 9 pm and then don't wake up until 7 am ~ that's 10 hours of sleep. I feel good and am healthy ~ but the experts say that's too much sleep

ANY COMMENTS ? HOW MUCH SLEEP is enough for you to function optimally ??
I typically get between 5 & 6 hours sleep a night. I’ve done this for most of my adult life and at 65 I doubt things will change now. I thought when I retired 4 years ago I would sleep more but that hasn’t been the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2020, 10:30 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,866,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Sunday night thru Thursday night it's about 7.5 hours, awakened by an alarm at 4:00am. Friday night and Saturday night, about 8-8.5 hours, sleeping in to 6am-6:30. I've never been able to sleep any longer than that, it's wasting the morning which is the best part of the day.
Yes, the morning, the first three ours of the day are the best, especially when you get toward and after retirement age. I am ready to run and play (only wish I still could) when I get up and get the joints moving then it is time for that first cup of coffee: all is well, come about 2pm and it is downhill from there.

Old 09-16-2020, 01:08 PM

17,610 posts, read 13,401,998 times
90 day average as per my CPAP report
Average Usage (All Days)8 hrs. 38 mins. 33 secs.

several 4 hour and several 10-12 hour days

Before COVID, when we had things to do average was 7 hours. We now go to bed around 2-3AM and get up 11, or so. What drops the average is several nights of waking and not being able to fall asleep again.

Old 09-17-2020, 09:10 AM

1 posts, read 223 times
The more sleep I get, the better I function, though it's usually only 5-6 hours a night.

Some people love CBD to help with wellness issues. Satividol CBD has a TryItNow50 code for half off if you want to give it a go.

Old 09-17-2020, 10:48 AM

1,381 posts, read 2,106,373 times
I worry that I sleep too much also! I take trazadone but that's to stay asleep, not to fall asleep. I have no issues falling asleep. I "usually" go to bed between 9:30 and 10 and sleep til my alarm goes off at 6:15. So that's over 8 hours nightly and on the weekends, I may sleep til 7 or later! I suffer if I miss even an hour of that sleep! I wish I didn't need so much because I'd have more time to get stuff done!

Old 09-18-2020, 12:13 PM

23,239 posts, read 29,090,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
I sleep from 1 am to about 9 am. Seems perfect for me. I'm a night owl.
Liar! You're not a night owl, in my books! I go to sleep around 9-10am, and sleep until 7-8pm, and I'm up all night! I take long walks around midnite! I worked the night shift for 17 years, and I have a very dear neighbor who worked the night shift of 30 years, and she can come over to my house any hour of the morning and I can go to her house any hour of the morning, but she cuts it off at 5am!

Old 09-18-2020, 12:17 PM

23,239 posts, read 29,090,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemon&lime View Post
How can more sleep harm you? That's not what I read. I read in Lights Out by T.S. Wiley that it is actually good to sleep a lot three seasons out of the year (fall, winter and spring). 8-10 hours is fine. You could sleep more than that and be in perfectly good shape imo. I am not a doctor but I feel my best when I sleep a lot. Sleep resets all the chemicals like cortisol. The reason so many people are fat these days is because of elevated cortisol due to a lack of sleep. How could anyone be anti sleep? Sounds like bull to me. Read Lights Out and decide for yourself.
Sleep is, unquestionably, very healing to the body.

I remember reading about a woman who lived to 104 and was asked what her recipe was for living so long?

I've always slept at least 12 hours a day most of my life!

I wish I could do that! Even 14 hours would be awesome!

Old 09-18-2020, 01:04 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,355,427 times
My sleep has been very erratic since menopause. No, did not embrace that nightmare. I love sleeping so this was such a traumatic thing to deal with. Plus, I worked 12hr shifts sometimes and if I was literally awake all night, it meant struggling through a 12hr shift. It really was a nightmare.

Now retired my sleep has gotten a tad better but still have sleepless nights. I get a lot of reading done but I'd rather be sleeping. If I am awake all night I usually start feeling sleepy about 6am and then sleep for a few hours. It makes for a long day but so much easier to get through not working anymore.

Then there are the nights that when I have been sleep deprived for several nights I crash and sleep about 9 hours. It's
wonderful but inevitably I don't sleep well the next night. So, I just have settled my mind realizing this is it for me in my life.

Old 09-18-2020, 03:35 PM

6,469 posts, read 8,200,485 times
Around 8 hours but sometimes 11-12 hours.

Old 09-18-2020, 05:18 PM

8,090 posts, read 12,813,893 times
I try to get over 8 hours+ a night. I've always valued a good nights rest and over the years have eliminated things that would keep me up. Ditching TV is one of the best "sleep aids" ever in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness