Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2013, 06:41 AM

4,836 posts, read 12,013,887 times

Advertisements

So this is the second time in 4 months that I got a cold, pretty much got over the cold but the cough has lingered and gets worse with time. The past two days I feel better through the day but once I get in bed all bets are off. Tuesday night I didnt sleep well but still got 4-5 hours of sleep. Last night I think I might have gotten about 2hrs. When I did sleep had some odd dreams, I felt like I was awake and coughing during sleep too. Maybe it's something from the medicine.

Anyway after two nights of little sleep what in the world do I do or take? I sit up, I am drinking lots of water, drinking tea, eating some honey too and taking OTC cough syrups.

Anyone have their preferred OTC syrup which either Knocks you out or actually stops the cough. Preferably both.

Also any recommended doses with them. I just find it very very hard to believe that a 12 year old girl who weighs 90lbs should be taking the same exact dose of some cough syrup as me, 6'1 200lbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2013, 07:58 AM

1,420 posts, read 3,186,577 times
Couple things, have the coughing person sleep in the smallest room in the house with a vaporizer on and the windows and doors closed and no ac on or furnace on. It may get hot or cold depending on the weather but you want to breathe humid air.

Some cough medicines may actually keep you awake. Benedryl may help sleep.

Drink a lot of water.

Old 10-03-2013, 08:06 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,886,067 times
Nyquil always works for me.

and about the dosages, it's about how much is effective and what your liver can handle. Just because you're twice the size of someone who might take the same dose doesn't mean your liver can necessarily handle more of the medication.

Old 10-03-2013, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Nyquil always works for me.

and about the dosages, it's about how much is effective and what your liver can handle. Just because you're twice the size of someone who might take the same dose doesn't mean your liver can necessarily handle more of the medication.
I guess the effectiveness makes sense. And yes true about the liver, and I know some of these meds have serious consequences when you over dose. For example with something like Nyquil if it says 30ml I might take it a little above the 30ml line. I am not taking two doses or anything like that. Though I am pretty sure my liver can handle more than a 12 year old.

As for Nyquil I tried it. It works sometimes, certainly did not work last night. Maybe I will try the Benadryl. I am an anxious sleeper. It is hard enough for me to go to sleep feeling 100%.

Old 10-03-2013, 08:39 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,288,572 times
I feel your pain. This happens to me when I get a cold, too, and it usually signals bronchitis for me. I don't improve until I can get good sleep, and that doesn't happen until I get prescription cough syrup with codeine. If you don't get relief very soon with OTC remedies, you should probably call your doctor.

Old 10-03-2013, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
I feel your pain. This happens to me when I get a cold, too, and it usually signals bronchitis for me. I don't improve until I can get good sleep, and that doesn't happen until I get prescription cough syrup with codeine. If you don't get relief very soon with OTC remedies, you should probably call your doctor.
A family member of mine has a GP practice. I am going in this afternoon. Two nights of little sleep is enough for me. Especially since I am planning on traveling tomorrow. This has never happened to me before though. But my last two colds have resulted in almost the same thing. Hopefully not a new thing for me!

Old 10-03-2013, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
Well went to the doctor today. Was great to get an appointment day of. Was given a Z-pack, and a codine cough syrup for night. Hopefully will help me get some sleep and get whatever I have out. Not sure if its bacterial though but the doctor said something has been going around that is. Guess she assumes it is. I'm no doctor.

Got a chest X-ray and throat swab as precautionary test.

Old 10-27-2013, 11:39 PM

4 posts, read 7,310 times
Default To ease coughing..

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
So this is the second time in 4 months that I got a cold, pretty much got over the cold but the cough has lingered and gets worse with time. The past two days I feel better through the day but once I get in bed all bets are off. Tuesday night I didnt sleep well but still got 4-5 hours of sleep. Last night I think I might have gotten about 2hrs. When I did sleep had some odd dreams, I felt like I was awake and coughing during sleep too. Maybe it's something from the medicine.

Anyway after two nights of little sleep what in the world do I do or take? I sit up, I am drinking lots of water, drinking tea, eating some honey too and taking OTC cough syrups.

Anyone have their preferred OTC syrup which either Knocks you out or actually stops the cough. Preferably both.

Also any recommended doses with them. I just find it very very hard to believe that a 12 year old girl who weighs 90lbs should be taking the same exact dose of some cough syrup as me, 6'1 200lbs.
~ When i have cough i usually take cough syrup like Benadryl usually 3x time a day and don't drink water after you take it as it washes away the syrup let it naturally stay in your throat. take it for 5 t 7 days only... when you still cough after taking it , do the natural way, drink water, lots of liquids and one more thing i use this humidifier wherein it relieves most of the respiratory issues like cough colds flu, even hay fever. It helps i can sleep soundly because it has no noise at all and easy to clean. There are several affordable humidifiers online, just check it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness