Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 10:46 AM

12 posts, read 35,885 times

Advertisements

Hello, this is my first post. My wife and I have been reading many posts and threads for the last few months. I currently live in central Wisconsin where the long cold winters and humid summers have taken their toll on me. (I am at my breaking point!) 10 years ago, an auto accident left me w/chronic pain. I have seen many spec's, tried many alternative meds with little to no improvement of the pain that I have been left with. (neck, mid and low back pain). I can still function so I am refusing additional surgery. I currently survive by doing daily exercises and pain medication. I need to find a different location to live.

There must be many out there whom have had to do the same and I am asking them for input. Where to, and has it helped? My special circumstances are few; First - It can't be so cold, Second - Humidity causes me some discomfort as I have put on a little weight (40 lbs) since the accident (due to lack of strenuous exercise), and this causes me to perspire an awful lot. Third - I would need to be near a major airport (100 miles or less) so that there would be cheap airfare back to Chicago and Minneapolis (children w/professional careers). And lastly, this would not is happen immediately as my wife is still working and I have an elderly Mother with leukemia who would not leave the area.

I am currently on disability. It has been a long, hard road to this point. We have had to use our entire savings to stay a float until I was finally "approved" for disablement. We currently have enough to meet our monthly obligations and that is all. We do own our home with a small mortgage left. My hope is to be able to sell (when the time comes), downsize, and pray we can profit enough to last us through the retirement years (until death, although we both doubt it) but, at least try!

I no longer have a long list of hobbies because I am simply unable to do them however, I do my best at yard work and gardening. It takes me a lot longer to do these chores (when I am able) but, gives me something to do and keeps me mobile.

I am not looking for sympathy, just suggestions so that I could research the areas. Please, I am certain that you must know somebody who had to move somewhere...........how did it work out for them?

Thanks in advance for any responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 08:23 AM

392 posts, read 1,095,726 times
I'm with ya on this one. I have what will eventually be a terminal neurological condition. I fight it every minute of every day with all my might. My back (spine) is fading fast, specifically my lower back. It's like jello and offers little support. The pain is incredible, often getting so bad that I am unable to sit up, roll over in bed, and causes me to vomit. I can no longer even put my own shoes and socks on.

I have no health insurance so am unable to go through the process to get any form of disability, although I would clearly qualify.

How do I deal with it? Lots of Ibuprofen. Mentally, I just chalk it up to life experience and move forward as best I can. I got 2-3 years left, then it will be over anyhow. In the meantime, I live for each and every moment.

Old 11-17-2009, 10:25 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone_Sculpture_Artist View Post
I'm with ya on this one. I have what will eventually be a terminal neurological condition. I fight it every minute of every day with all my might. My back (spine) is fading fast, specifically my lower back. It's like jello and offers little support. The pain is incredible, often getting so bad that I am unable to sit up, roll over in bed, and causes me to vomit. I can no longer even put my own shoes and socks on.

I have no health insurance so am unable to go through the process to get any form of disability, although I would clearly qualify.

How do I deal with it? Lots of Ibuprofen. Mentally, I just chalk it up to life experience and move forward as best I can. I got 2-3 years left, then it will be over anyhow. In the meantime, I live for each and every moment.
You are eligible for SSDi - look into it.

To the OP: if you can take the heat of AZ, it is very dry there. Utah is also very dry but it gets cold. Salt Lake City is fairoly diverse and has good snow-clearing equipment. Even on snow days, the humidity rarely gets much above 50%.

Old 11-17-2009, 11:06 AM

1,492 posts, read 7,714,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestonWisc View Post
Hello, this is my first post. My wife and I have been reading many posts and threads for the last few months. I currently live in central Wisconsin where the long cold winters and humid summers have taken their toll on me. (I am at my breaking point!) 10 years ago, an auto accident left me w/chronic pain. I have seen many spec's, tried many alternative meds with little to no improvement of the pain that I have been left with. (neck, mid and low back pain). I can still function so I am refusing additional surgery. I currently survive by doing daily exercises and pain medication. I need to find a different location to live.

There must be many out there whom have had to do the same and I am asking them for input. Where to, and has it helped? My special circumstances are few; First - It can't be so cold, Second - Humidity causes me some discomfort as I have put on a little weight (40 lbs) since the accident (due to lack of strenuous exercise), and this causes me to perspire an awful lot. Third - I would need to be near a major airport (100 miles or less) so that there would be cheap airfare back to Chicago and Minneapolis (children w/professional careers). And lastly, this would not is happen immediately as my wife is still working and I have an elderly Mother with leukemia who would not leave the area.

I am currently on disability. It has been a long, hard road to this point. We have had to use our entire savings to stay a float until I was finally "approved" for disablement. We currently have enough to meet our monthly obligations and that is all. We do own our home with a small mortgage left. My hope is to be able to sell (when the time comes), downsize, and pray we can profit enough to last us through the retirement years (until death, although we both doubt it) but, at least try!

I no longer have a long list of hobbies because I am simply unable to do them however, I do my best at yard work and gardening. It takes me a lot longer to do these chores (when I am able) but, gives me something to do and keeps me mobile.

I am not looking for sympathy, just suggestions so that I could research the areas. Please, I am certain that you must know somebody who had to move somewhere...........how did it work out for them?

Thanks in advance for any responses.
I was injured way back when and have this burning sensation in my lower back/hip area...ball and socket joint. I'm from NC. I know exactly what you are thinking and I acted on it. I've moved around a bit over the past 20 years looking for relief- here's what I found on a scale 0 to 10 w/ 0 being no pain and 10 being want to die- just shoot me to get me out of misery.

Alaska- 10
California-4
Georgia-7
Maryland-9
Nevada-4
New Hampshire-10
North Carolina-9
Texas-8
Utah-10
Vermont-10
Samoa (yes, moved to the equator)- 5

But I've found that no place will get rid of the pain. If you find a place- please!!!! Come back and post it here.

Old 11-17-2009, 03:26 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,920,340 times
Without a doubt the best climate in the world (certainly the US anyway) is the Mediterranean climate in coastal southern and central California. Daytime summer temps rarely go below 50 or above 75. Winter temps average 45 at night and 50-75 day. But you pay a price for this perfect weather. Housing is the highest in the nation here.

Old 11-17-2009, 07:51 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,846,511 times
Warmer weather can help. Sometimes fluid builds up on the spine causing pressure and pain. Ever tried Backaid...They can be bought in many drug stores and have worked for many people with really really severe back pain. They have a pain killer and a diaretic. This takes fluid build up off of the spinal chord and relieves the pain. Worth a try.

Old 11-18-2009, 06:05 AM

geeoro........I have never even heard of this product but, intent on looking for it today. Many Thanks, as I am always willing to try something new.

thrillobyte........I agree that California prob has the best climate for me unfortunately way to expensive. I live in a small community in the upper midwest which is great for raising a family. By comparison; my home's value would probably be worth $3 - $5 million there, but here, under $300. Typically, people move from somewhere else to here, not the reverse. If I could afford it, I would certainly go, Thanks.

vegasgrace......very nice scale, Thank you. Although I don't even remember "0" anymore I do understand the analogy of "10". Good luck to you and have you tried Hawaii? I've heard they have an annual temp change of less than 5 degrees.

southernbelleinutah......I am unsure if I would be able to take the heat but, still am considering these area's. Thanks.

Stone_Sculpture_Artist.........My doctor convinced me about 5 yrs ago to take pain meds. I was afraid to take them because of addiction concerns. He told me that people who are really in pain hardly ever become addicted. I currently take oxycontin and oxycodone every 3 to 4 hours. It does not eliminate the pain, in fact, it barely helps but, enough so that I can dress myself and other daily functions. He was right, I have never felt the need to increase dosage. These meds are relatively cheap and you can get the generic form. As far as SSDI, you definetly need to do this. Contact a disability lawyer. They will not charge you unless they win the case, then they get a percentage but, nothing from your monthly stipen. I did not have a lawyer and it took three years but I won. I too live for each and every moment. To look ahead is depressing. On my bad days I think of all the people in the world that must have it harder than me, I believe you do too. God Bless you Stone, I will include you in my prayers.

Old 11-18-2009, 06:16 AM

136 posts, read 424,084 times
I can understand the position well as I have the similar circumstance.I also had a injury that required 2 operations on my spine and had Fusion done in 1997 and along with that I waited over 3 years for my disability from Social Security.I moved from Oshkosh Wisconsin to Kingman Az and my opinion is that I do not recomend that area and do not wish to get into that right now,However I can recomend LasVegas for the weather,and medical care.The Vegas economy is down right now so your dollar should go farther.Please keep this in mind as I have just moved back to Wisconsin 30 days ago"there is no place like home" ! Good Luck !

Old 11-18-2009, 07:36 AM

Leaving123......LV is an area of interest, I've heard the same a couple of times. I agree there's no place like home but, with the exception of my Mother (and my wife of course) I no longer have any family in the area. My pain keeps me from enjoying any winter activities, let alone hunting and fishing. I had fusion back in "93", it helped slightly but, the accident damaged 7 more discs. 4 in the neck, 1 mid-back and 2 low-back (next to the previous fusion). 2 damaged vertebra in the neck. Every winter the condition worsens. It used to be the sciatica but, last year I started losing use of both arms due to nerves being pinched. Very frustrating when that happens. Good luck to you back in Oshkosh. That is a nice area.

Old 11-20-2009, 08:53 AM

Has anyone tried Colorado?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness