Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2009, 12:17 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,657,508 times

Advertisements

I was up all night last night. At around 11 pm it started. I had some wierd pain in the back of my whole right leg, the other one too but not as bad. It kept me up. I tried putting a pillow under my feet but it did not help. I do have two herniated discs in my lower back but have had them since 92 and never had this kind of pain before. Almost feels like a circulation kind of pain. I think I may be spending too many hours sitting here at the laptop! I still have achy legs today but a little milder. Does anyone have/had anything like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2009, 04:04 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,449,841 times
I bet GREAT LEGS by Natural Balance would help. Here's a description:

Natural Balance Great Legs (60 caps) for a great way to help increase blood flow

Here are some reviews:

Natural Balance Great Legs Reviews and Information

Or just take trace minerals. Since I started taking Trace Minerals (again after 20 years) by Trace Minerals Research I no longer have charlie horses in my calves or feet in the middle of the night. If not that chelated Magnesium would probably work just as well.

Here are studies about benefits of trace minerals:

Trace Minerals - Research (http://www.traceminerals.com/research.html - broken link)

Old 05-02-2009, 06:01 PM

2,178 posts, read 9,575,016 times
Blondie, are you on any medications? If you are research the side effects of them or check them out on askapatient.com

Old 05-03-2009, 12:06 PM

1,116 posts, read 2,962,416 times
Since it's in both legs, it probably isn't something serious like deep vein thrombosis. You probably just have a lack of potassium in your diet, or lactic acid buildup. Drink some water, and eat a banana (drinking about a cup of pickle juice helps even more, but it isn't palatable for most people), and see how you feel. Make sure you stretch regularly!

Old 05-03-2009, 01:39 PM

374 posts, read 1,125,252 times
I had this trouble since riding on a cramped airplane. I work in a clinic, so I asked around and it is pretty common. I was told to take potassium/magnesium supplements. I never did, but I did find that exercise/walking every day helps it to go away. If I am too inactive, they hurt again at night. Also, something I do for fun that seems to help is that when I lay on the cough, I put my legs up higher than my head for about 15 minutes. Good luck! This is something that can be really annoying, but is usually an easy fix (stretch and get more exercise!).

Old 05-03-2009, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
I bet GREAT LEGS by Natural Balance would help. Here's a description:

Natural Balance Great Legs (60 caps) for a great way to help increase blood flow

Here are some reviews:

Natural Balance Great Legs Reviews and Information

Or just take trace minerals. Since I started taking Trace Minerals (again after 20 years) by Trace Minerals Research I no longer have charlie horses in my calves or feet in the middle of the night. If not that chelated Magnesium would probably work just as well.

Here are studies about benefits of trace minerals:

Trace Minerals - Research (http://www.traceminerals.com/research.html - broken link)
Sounds interesting, I am gonna look into this! Where do you get your trace minerals from? Does a Health Food Store stock them? Thanx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura707 View Post
Blondie, are you on any medications? If you are research the side effects of them or check them out on askapatient.com
Only Synthroid for my thyroid but have been on that for many years now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderbear View Post
Since it's in both legs, it probably isn't something serious like deep vein thrombosis. You probably just have a lack of potassium in your diet, or lactic acid buildup. Drink some water, and eat a banana (drinking about a cup of pickle juice helps even more, but it isn't palatable for most people), and see how you feel. Make sure you stretch regularly!
I looked up that DVT and it scared me but figured that was not the problem. I have a jar of pickle juice almost empty, I will try to drink it quick then flush it with some apple juice! Thanx!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeganAK View Post
I had this trouble since riding on a cramped airplane. I work in a clinic, so I asked around and it is pretty common. I was told to take potassium/magnesium supplements. I never did, but I did find that exercise/walking every day helps it to go away. If I am too inactive, they hurt again at night. Also, something I do for fun that seems to help is that when I lay on the cough, I put my legs up higher than my head for about 15 minutes. Good luck! This is something that can be really annoying, but is usually an easy fix (stretch and get more exercise!).
I know I need both of those, I never eat bananas! Thanx!

Old 05-03-2009, 01:48 PM

1,462 posts, read 4,866,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie621 View Post
I was up all night last night. At around 11 pm it started. I had some wierd pain in the back of my whole right leg, the other one too but not as bad. It kept me up. I tried putting a pillow under my feet but it did not help. I do have two herniated discs in my lower back but have had them since 92 and never had this kind of pain before. Almost feels like a circulation kind of pain. I think I may be spending too many hours sitting here at the laptop! I still have achy legs today but a little milder. Does anyone have/had anything like this?
I am not a doctor so don't take this advice as "gospel" but it sounds to me like you have a pinched nerve or sciatic nerve issues. I have a problem with my left leg with a sharp pain that shoots from my butt cheek down into my leg and it is sciatic nerve problems. Not much you can do for it unless you do decide to get the disc issues taken care of. If you lay on your side and put a pillow between your legs it helps...other than this, it is Tylenol, Advil or some other kind of pain reliever. Oh...absolutely watch your time on the computer. This isn't good for a sciatic nerve problem either. I feel bad for you, this does really hurt a lot.

Old 05-03-2009, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connecticut Pam View Post
I am not a doctor so don't take this advice as "gospel" but it sounds to me like you have a pinched nerve or sciatic nerve issues. I have a problem with my left leg with a sharp pain that shoots from my butt cheek down into my leg and it is sciatic nerve problems. Not much you can do for it unless you do decide to get the disc issues taken care of. If you lay on your side and put a pillow between your legs it helps...other than this, it is Tylenol, Advil or some other kind of pain reliever. Oh...absolutely watch your time on the computer. This isn't good for a sciatic nerve problem either. I feel bad for you, this does really hurt a lot.
I have to be careful of drafts too! I have been sleeping with the fan on overhead my bed at night and now my herniated neck disc is giving me some pain also. I will try the pillow thing at night....thanx Pam!

Old 05-03-2009, 06:00 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,449,841 times
Hi Blondi. Yes, you get Trace Minerals from Trace Minerals Research at a good health food store. the liquid version is more assimilable but it tastes terrible-- but if you put the drops of the stuff in grapefruit juice, it is masked pretty well. Then quickly drink or eat something with flavor to get rid of the taste. It just tastes REALLY salty is all. Most everyone lacks trace minerals so taking them won't hurt anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness