Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2009, 04:21 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,211,900 times

Advertisements

I have some basic questions - like my GP said he'd give me a referral re breast reduction - but do I have to use his referral?

I am quite overweight (my breasts have always been pretty big for my size even when younger) will I be expected to lose weight first?

Will pre-op weight lose be a requirement for possible insurance paying?

I guess that's it for now...I've been reading some of the threads but many sort of "start in the middle" of the process.....
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 04:31 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,766,834 times
Being significantly overweight significantly complicates the administration of general anaesthesia and if something goes wrong fit people tend to do a much better job of surviving. Even if it isn't a requirement, it's a very good idea (for lots of reasons). I would be inclined to initiate a dialogue with my insurer to see what hang-ups there may be.

You should not be required to use your doctor's referral, but the insurance company may get hairlipped if you strike out on your own. If you have a doctor in mind that you would like to use, talk to your GP about a referral to him or her instead. Everyone should be happy that way (I'm assuming your GP is plan approved).

Old 07-27-2009, 04:54 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,345,842 times
As far as your insurance goes, your dr will probably have to get prior authorization.

He will have to go through a series of questions that the insurance company will want to know.

Some questions may be:

Do you have neck or shoulder pain?

Are you overweight?

Do your bra straps cut into your shoulder?

Have you lost any weight?

Are you on a weight loss program?

Just some simple things like that.

My insurance covered back in 2000 due to my neck and shoulder pain.

Good luck with everything and if approved, you make sure and ask YOUR questions of the plastic surgeon as well.

Old 07-27-2009, 06:17 PM

I get the impression that if I'm overweight its a nonstarter?

Old 07-27-2009, 09:11 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
No, depends on how out of proportion you are and how much pain you are in. If you had large breasts when you were younger and skinnier, then they will likely approve it, all else being equal (general state of health, etc.)

Old 07-28-2009, 04:54 AM

I've been in this area 2 years and am pretty much on my own. I'm worried about post op care as I don't have family or friends here, but I don't think doing all this several states away is going to work either. I figure I can hire someone out of pocket for a couple visits a day for a week or so.
I'm also trying to figure out how to find a Dr. I like (I don't want to blindly go with my GPs recommendation because frankly I want to switch GPs), there are the yellow pages, online most results are from a larger city 60 miles away. Word of mouth is always supposed to be the best but I don't know anyone who's gone to a PS for anything.
Seems the first order of business is to find a Dr., then check with insurance.

Old 07-28-2009, 05:56 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,345,842 times
When I had mine done a home health nurse came in for a couple of days.

I had drainage tubes still in when I lef the hospital and I want to say they stayed in for three days.

The post op care was not so bad and I did pretty good with the surgery.

I was 24 years old then and had 2 little ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness