Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2024, 07:43 AM

326 posts, read 292,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenfire88 View Post
I eat a lot of sweets and desserts. I am working on reducing my sugar intake. Are there foods that will combat sugary foods? The word I'm looking for is kill or neutralize. For example water neutralizes a fire. In our body, are there any foods that do the same to sugary foods and sugar? What food directly opposes or targets sugar?
do a little googling into carb blocking. Apple cider vinegar, followed wirh water to wash acid off teeth, or org white vinegar with water. White kidney bean supplements, white navy beans...too I read about. Anti glucose spike Information. I take kideny bean supps. Not sure of validity for i do not use a monitor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2024, 02:35 PM

2,102 posts, read 1,905,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koquis90 View Post
Organic foods, replace processed bleached sugars with brown sugar or honey, also try to reduce caloried drinks to a minimum.

Sugar is sugar, whether it is cane, honey, brown or fruit sugar. All will increase blood glucose.

Old 07-03-2024, 08:23 PM

30,635 posts, read 12,172,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
That's very true. The thing is, cookies, cakes, and the like, are highly palatable for reasons that don't just have to do with sugar.
Its not just sugar but white flour. There are sugar substitutes that taste good. If you have ever tried to make gluten free or keto baked goods without white flour (and I have) you realize how hard it is to make something that tastes like regular cookies or cakes but lacks gluten or carbs. Plus cost is a factor. White flour is cheap. Almond, soy, rice or whatever you try to replace white flour with is much more expensive.

Old 07-03-2024, 10:16 PM

62,626 posts, read 88,737,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Its not just sugar but white flour. There are sugar substitutes that taste good. If you have ever tried to make gluten free or keto baked goods without white flour (and I have) you realize how hard it is to make something that tastes like regular cookies or cakes but lacks gluten or carbs. Plus cost is a factor. White flour is cheap. Almond, soy, rice or whatever you try to replace white flour with is much more expensive.
Not only white flour. People don't buy just white flour cookies, they also enjoy Oreos, or oatmeal cookies, or chocolate cookies etc. lt's the sugary AND fatty taste.

Gluten free cookies? Easy to make with almond, buckwheat , rice or coconut flour (try Asian stores where that stuff is much cheaper). To add
thickness and viscosity you can add eggs, jogurt, or mashed banana to the mix. And starches.
But the key is to mix the batter much, much longer and then give it plenty of time to rest, 1-2 hours...

Now, in my opinion all sugar substitutes leave aftertaste. Allulose is probably best choice of all.

Old Yesterday, 01:48 AM

33,651 posts, read 37,442,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny3 View Post
Pistachios
Jk
That's my choice, and a side benefit is they are a source of melatonin which is a natural sleep aid.

Old Yesterday, 10:47 AM

29,828 posts, read 34,767,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I don't know--I have no gluten sensitivity, so no need to avoid wheat. I'm not diabetic, so no need to monitor sugar. I'm of the opinion that I'd rather have a "real" cookie or cake from time to time and enjoy it than a whole plateful of "healthified" baked goods with alternative flours and sugars that don't quite hack it.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; Yesterday at 11:01 AM..

Old Yesterday, 11:41 AM

19 posts, read 2,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkeith View Post
Sugar is sugar, whether it is cane, honey, brown or fruit sugar. All will increase blood glucose.

and what about nectar? Sure glucose is intolerable, but it can be minimized with proper minerals, drink types etc.

Old Yesterday, 06:53 PM

4,454 posts, read 5,032,415 times
Sugar, actually all carbs, are addictive. As addictive as nicotine or heroin. Our ancestors lived in environments where they were hard to come by and evolved cravings for them so we could take in enough energy to be healthy and remain fertile.

Problem now is that sugars and carbs are everywhere. Instead of investing a lot of energy into obtaining small amounts of them, most people are poisoning themselves with excessive amounts. This is one of the reasons why we have an obesity and health crisis in our population. There is no magic pill or diet to undo eating them, other than substituting healthy proteins and fats so one doesn't eat as much of them in the first place.

Old Today, 12:26 PM

19 posts, read 2,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenfire88 View Post
I eat a lot of sweets and desserts. I am working on reducing my sugar intake. Are there foods that will combat sugary foods? The word I'm looking for is kill or neutralize. For example water neutralizes a fire. In our body, are there any foods that do the same to sugary foods and sugar? What food directly opposes or targets sugar?
Lactose drinks or yogurt snacks can definitely combat sugary, refined even processed sugars. They can damage liver and kidneys, avoid them as much as you can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness