Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2024, 08:53 AM

7,195 posts, read 12,799,615 times

Advertisements

Fresh, ripe fruits, especially berries, are a sweet-tasting treat much healthier than sugar. Right now, watermelons and peaches are in season and are delicious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2024, 09:13 AM

22,733 posts, read 24,852,292 times
This sounds very much like the concept of diminishing the negative by increasing the positives!

I think eating very healthily can somewhat offset eating things like sugar, but that only goes so
far, ditto that for exercise.

Old 06-30-2024, 12:39 PM

62,620 posts, read 88,737,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenfire88 View Post
I eat a lot of sweets and desserts. I am working on reducing my sugar intake. Are there foods that will combat sugary foods? The word I'm looking for is kill or neutralize. For example water neutralizes a fire. In our body, are there any foods that do the same to sugary foods and sugar? What food directly opposes or targets sugar?
Sugar and sweets are highly addictive. To combat it, like any other addiction is to slowly reduce the consumption. Just eliminate one sugary thing a day, because there is nothing that can "neutralize" or cancel your cravings.
Instead of another cake, cookie or candy - eat a piece of fruit. Instead of another serving of soda - drink water or water infused with fruit. Here are delicious alternatives:
https://www.everydayhealth.com/photo...ernatives.aspx
Pay attention to nutrition labels - start to buy cookies with less and less sugar.
Start with portion control.
Instead of eating sweets right out the bag/box take small portion out, close the bag and put it away. Same with ice cream and cakes.
Even better - stop buying that stuff. When it's not there, easy to reach, then you won't eat it.
After a while sugary stuff will just stop tasting that great.

Old 06-30-2024, 03:25 PM

25,890 posts, read 17,665,378 times
I eat mostly carnivore, but the old sugar addiction is still around.
I fought it off with honey. The old sugar-laden snacks are no longer in the house, but raw local honey is. That way, when I feel like something sweet, at least I've got a better choice than I used to.

Down about 40 pounds in 3 years. No longer losing weight; I'm about where I need to be.

Old 06-30-2024, 04:18 PM

21,063 posts, read 8,847,922 times
I substitute cheese snacks for some sugar snacks. The fat and protein are satiating.

I really like the refrigerated Perfect Bars made from fruits, chocolate and nut butter. Slightly sweet but plenty of fat and protein.

Trader Joe's bittersweet chocolate in that giant bar with the red wrapper lets me break off a small square which satisfies me.

I also eat more spicy foods instead of bland.

I've always had a sweet tooth, inherited from my father. Growing up we seldom had any sweets at all, except for birthday cakes and pies made from fruits in season, because my mother didn't like them. Her craving was for dill pickles! But when I moved away I began baking and went wild!

I've never been fat (keep calories just under 2000), and my current doc says my blood sugar levels are healthy and stable, going by the A1c (is that what it's called?) blood test I get every year.

If I am forbidden something, it just makes me want more! So moderation in all things.

Old 06-30-2024, 04:32 PM

21,063 posts, read 8,847,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Fresh, ripe fruits, especially berries, are a sweet-tasting treat much healthier than sugar. Right now, watermelons and peaches are in season and are delicious.
Easier said than done. I agree with Jerry in this Seinfeld scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huwB...l=KahitAnoLang

Old 06-30-2024, 06:04 PM

311 posts, read 168,934 times
Don't keep sweets in your house. I can ignore salty snacks forever but sweets are my weakness. I find that not having them around is teh best way to not eat or think about them. If you have strong cravings, you can start slowly reducing the amount you eat. So, if you have 3 cookies each day, go to 2.5 for a few days and the 2 cookies and then 1.5 and so on until you get to zero. I am not averse to having sweets, but I find that just getting an occasional single serving and not having any leftover is the best way to moderate,

Old 06-30-2024, 06:26 PM

17,648 posts, read 39,465,103 times
There are a lot of well intentioned folks here, suggesting that you portion out the sweets and put the bag away, or limit yourself somehow. For sugar addicts THIS DOES NOT WORK! I know, because I was/am one!. I cannot have them in the house, along with other addictive foods like chips. I almost never eat any sugary snacks now because I am diabetic; and would never buy or keep them in the house. I know I cannot limit myself. Most of the time now, I am fine just eating my nice steak dinner and don't need any "dessert." Also, for those suggesting fruit, fruits do NOT satisfy a sweet tooth, it just isn't the same.

One suggestion I have for OP is to try home made treats made with Xylitol, I have been using it for years. It looks and tastes almost exactly like sugar, and in small amounts will cause no digestive issues.

I also occasionally buy cookies from "Catalina Crunch" that are diabetic/keto friendly. You must limit these or face digestive issues. Do NOT buy candies or cookies with any other artificial sweeteners. Just about all of them with give you severe gastric distress even in very small amounts.

Good luck to you OP. Sugar is a powerful addiction and will destroy your health in more ways than you can imagine.

Old 06-30-2024, 09:14 PM

25,890 posts, read 17,665,378 times
Just wanted to say again what so many others have said:
Sugar is addictive. You have to treat it like an addiction to deal with it. Can an alcoholic have alcohol in the house?

Refined carbohydrates should be treated like a sugar. Just don't have them in the house and you will do much, much better.

Old 06-30-2024, 09:33 PM

3,400 posts, read 1,884,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenfire88 View Post
I eat a lot of sweets and desserts. I am working on reducing my sugar intake. Are there foods that will combat sugary foods? The word I'm looking for is kill or neutralize. For example water neutralizes a fire. In our body, are there any foods that do the same to sugary foods and sugar? What food directly opposes or targets sugar?
I think fat might help slow the absorption rate.
And salt is the opposite of sugar so I'd try that too.
Hmmm... I got it...
BACON!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness