Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2018, 10:57 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,695,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
My wife was prescribed Lorazepam and, after we read all the warnings, she never took one!
You are rare people to have read the warnings. Most people pop those pills like candy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2018, 11:12 AM

6,927 posts, read 6,971,217 times
People should always exercise caution with ANY drug that is prescribed for them. I always research any new med the doctor wants me to take. With the power of the Internet, you can easily look up potential adverse (and positive) interactions with other drugs you may be taking, side effects, etc. Naturally, take as directed and remember that it's possible to overdose on just about anything if you take enough of it.

That said, I have suffered from anxiety and depression all my life. In my case, it's at least partially genetic. My Dad (and other members of my family) also suffered terribly from depression. I have learned a variety of techniques to cope with my anxiety - long walks with my faithful hound, meditation, breathing exercises and so forth. Unfortunately, I suffered a brain injury some years back and one of the results of this is that my anxiety levels simply skyrocketed. Apparently, this is not uncommon among brain injury survivors and may well be a result of faulty re-wiring of my poor neurons and brain synapsis.

I take a mild dose of clonazepam to help me with my anxiety issues when my other coping mechanisms fail me. I do worry about the impact on my cognition as jaminhealth mentions, but as long as I stay at lower dosages, I hope that any such impact will be minimal. Plus, a bad panic attack or just a chronic state of background anxiety wrecks havoc with my ability to think clearly far more than any half a tab of clonazepam that I may take.

Certainly, non pharmaceutical solutions should be the first line of defense when treating anxiety issues. Unfortunately, some of us find that we need an anti-anxiety med as well if we are to have any quality to our lives. We are not "weak" and our doctors are not quacks.

Old 08-04-2018, 11:17 AM

18,774 posts, read 18,255,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
You are rare people to have read the warnings. Most people pop those pills like candy!

These are not easy decisions. Especially when her doctor prescribed the medication. For her she was on opioids for pain relief and that is one of the big precautions on the medication - don't use both together. Her options would be to take the Lorazepam in-between the opioid pills and there are many chances that something would get messed up or the effects of the Lorazepam would overstretch the beginning of the Hydrocodone. Anyway; we just felt it best that we never went down that route. The worry alone would have caused more anxiety!

As a matter of fact, after reading the warnings, I have to wonder why anybody would have less anxiety on that medication?

Old 08-04-2018, 11:33 AM

29,259 posts, read 16,870,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I have anxiety, and way-back-when was prescribed all kinds of things. Once I left a doctor's office with 5 prescriptions. Thank God I threw them all in the nearest trash can. Years later, going through a rough spell, was prescribed Xanax. Tried it. It did nothing for me (thank God) - threw it out (now-a-days, you can take unused meds to pharmacies to dispose of - there is a huge problem with water supplies being polluted by drugs - but that's another story).

My mother, whose care I supervised, was on all kinds of drugs . . . one of those was Valium. I have never taken Valium in my life (though I could get a prescription, "like that" - and I am sure it would "calm me down." But I KNOW that drugs are not the answer to MY problem).

I now have a host of things I do to deal with my sensitive nervous system. This morning I tapped in the shower - I also take vitamins and use essential oils and have a bunch of other healthy lifestyle things I use to cope with life on this planet.

Glad you also found what works for you.
My mom lived to early 90's and took no drugs...she prayed a lot, a form of meditation as I see it.

I took some valium years ago when working and in some stressful jobs, and when I would fall I said omg, get off this stuff. Then I read the book: I'm Dancing as Fast as I Can and that did it for good.

I'm glad I re-visited Tapping...

Old 08-04-2018, 11:47 AM

Quote:
My wife was prescribed Lorazepam and, after we read all the warnings, she never took one!
I have a friend who is 91 and each time she sees an allopathic MD and they give her scripts, she comes home and gets her big pill book and ends up throwing scripts away. She wishes she had done that with with the Cipro she took recently, she just didn't know or think how bad it can be. She took 2 out of 5 prescribed and still dealing with joint muscle issues.

Old 08-04-2018, 12:05 PM

18,774 posts, read 18,255,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I have a friend who is 91 and each time she sees an allopathic MD and they give her scripts, she comes home and gets her big pill book and ends up throwing scripts away. She wishes she had done that with with the Cipro she took recently, she just didn't know or think how bad it can be. She took 2 out of 5 prescribed and still dealing with joint muscle issues.

Only you know you. You try to stay informed and make the right choices. Of course we are humans and we have to constantly strive to prove our fallibility. We can do that either way; by listening to the experts or not listening to them. Of course, if we are wrong; we can only blame ourselves. If they are wrong we have a fall guy!

Old 08-04-2018, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Only you know you. You try to stay informed and make the right choices. Of course we are humans and we have to constantly strive to prove our fallibility. We can do that either way; by listening to the experts or not listening to them. Of course, if we are wrong; we can only blame ourselves. If they are wrong we have a fall guy!
Thinking about this anxiety issue and I had an attack back in 2005, thought it was heart and scared the H out of me, called 911...paramedics came and off I went to ER. Spent some hrs there and blood pressure was elevated and they sent me home with lorazepam...now for many years since I've been taking higher amounts of magnesium and just thinking is this keeping my mind/body calm...could be for sure.
Magnesium deficiency is big from so much I've read.

Old 08-04-2018, 12:19 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,741,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Or, you know, she could just ASK her doctor or pharmacist about the medications before she ever pays for them or agrees to take them. Wouldn’t that be smarter than reading a book and throwing medicines away?

Old 08-04-2018, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Or, you know, she could just ASK her doctor or pharmacist about the medications before she ever pays for them or agrees to take them. Wouldn’t that be smarter than reading a book and throwing medicines away?
Oh she has a fear of pharma drugs anyway. Claims a pain med she took for years for female issues caused the major hearing loss she lives with. She is not throwing the meds away, she is throwing the scripts away and goes to work on finding alternatives to what she is being prescribed. She often asks me to use Dr. Google for her since she is not a computer owner.

Old 08-04-2018, 12:27 PM

12,163 posts, read 8,547,195 times
Unfortunately very few doctors receive adequate education about addiction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness