Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 08:10 PM

33,532 posts, read 37,132,711 times

Advertisements

I used to get them for years. Finally I began taking Calcium / Magnesium supplements, 350 mg calcium / 175 mg magnesium daily. Your body cannot utilize calcium without magnesium. It worked for me, as I haven't had a leg cramp for years. Keeping hydrated is also very important. Your body does not always tell you when you need water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2008, 11:45 PM

4 posts, read 24,266 times
As many people have stated here, a good Calcium/Magnesium may help. But be careful as some sources of magnesium (oxide) can promote bowel problems and some sources of Calcium (carbonate) neutralizes stomach enzymes. I would suggest sticking with chelates or citrates.

I would also suggest stretching your calf muscles before bed.

Intermittent Claudication, a circulation issue, may also be a cause. But this is less likely as condition creates cramping during exercise. You can try using the herb Ginkgo Biloba to help with this condition.

(by the way, this is my first post here. Go easy on me if I make a mistake. )

Old 03-27-2008, 12:30 AM

33,532 posts, read 37,132,711 times
I am currently battling claudication with exercise, but no supplements other than 150 mg of COQ 10 per day...I have Ginko Biloba in the house but wasn't aware of it's use for my circulation problem....I must google!

Old 03-27-2008, 07:06 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,983,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird22 View Post
I am 47, and in pretty good shape. I work out, walk, do cardio work, etc.

Recently (maybe in the past year) I have had bouts of leg cramps at night. They are in my lower leg - calf and/or muscle that runs down the outside of the calf. I cannot shake them. If I flex one way, the main calf muscle hurts. If I flex back the other way, the side muscle locks up.

The only way I have been able to get rid of them is to stand up and bear weight on my leg. Most of the cramps are in the leg that I had ACL surgery on in 2001. I have had no residual issue with my knee since the surgery, and I never had these cramps before they began off and on this year.

Any insight? All I have ever heard is "Eat bananas!" (for potassium)

Help!
My instincts tell me that post-surgery you may have a medical issue which up till now wasn't bad enough to notice. Something to do with the nerves or lymph system. I'd visit some alternative medicine doctors (I'd go to both a chiropractor and an acupuncturist). I'd want to see if any short-term therapies they provide could solve the problem completely. Their advice for ongoing supplements/exercises may be invaluable. Standard doctors might be able to figure out the problem but I have seen on many occasions how their narrow view of physiology might not be able to solve such relatively minor aches and pains.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:30 AM

369 posts, read 1,960,390 times
This will sound strange but in our local paper, The Press Telegram in Long Beach CA, they have a column that is called the People's Pharmacy. I have ready over and over this strange solution for leg cramps. You take one of your socks and put a bar of soap in the foot of it. Then you sleep with it by your leg. Not sure what to say about this other than that people write in and say how unbelievable it is that it works....Just putting it out there...couldn't hurt, right?

Old 03-27-2008, 03:06 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,925,882 times
Possible sciatic if its down your right leg. Compressed disc L4-L5 which might be pressing on a nerve. That is what I have and at night my toes want to do a back flip to my knee with the muscle in the calf and thigh tightening up to boot. Other possibility is an ADHESION in the knee surgery area pressing on the nerve. Just a thought. Understand what your going thru. Good luck, Stefhen

Old 03-27-2008, 04:50 PM

20,797 posts, read 9,741,931 times
I used to get them on a nightly basis. I increased my water intake and also take 2 calcium tablets a day and they have since stopped.
I am not a doctor, it is what worked for me. Also ice helps in the middle of a cramp.

Old 03-27-2008, 10:15 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,951,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougnaie View Post
This will sound strange but in our local paper, The Press Telegram in Long Beach CA, they have a column that is called the People's Pharmacy. I have ready over and over this strange solution for leg cramps. You take one of your socks and put a bar of soap in the foot of it. Then you sleep with it by your leg. Not sure what to say about this other than that people write in and say how unbelievable it is that it works....Just putting it out there...couldn't hurt, right?
I thought that what you described was complete bunk, until my wife cut up pieces of bar soap & put them between the fitted sheet & the mattress. It actually does work & it works very well indeed. I no longer wake up screaming from the pain of the cramping & I no longer have to take Tramadol.

Old 03-28-2008, 09:16 AM

283 posts, read 1,291,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougnaie View Post
I am not doubting that this would work, but it makes me smile because HOW DO PEOPLE FIGURE THAT COMBINATION OUT???? You know?

At some point, someone with cramps must have said: "Hmmm, maybe I'll try a bar of soap in a sock..."

It is AMAZING how things come around and about. Thanks for the info.

Old 06-17-2008, 05:22 PM

283 posts, read 1,291,177 times
CRAMP UPDATE: 6/08. I never did try the soap trick, but the calcium / magnesium supplements did the trick. I started taking c / m and the cramps went away that very night. Thank you all so much for the help on this.
I LOVE CITY-DATA!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness