Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 01:45 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,379,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinderobyn View Post
I am looking at a Medrol Dose pack I had to take.. Each tab was 4mg ea.

6 the first day, then tapering down to one, on the sixth day. Each day, one tab less than the other.

I am wondering if 10 mg isn't really so bad? Any thoughts out there? Did the dr tell you the duration of the treatment?
Medrol (methylprednisolone) is in the same category as Prednisone, being an antiinflammatory steroid. However, they are not the same chemically, therefore there is a difference in POTENCY. This means you cannot compare the two on a milligram by milligram basis. Medrol 4mg equals Prednisone 5mg.

In terms of side effects, they are determined by a variety of factors including patient sensitivity, patient individual differences in pharmacokinetics (absorbtion, distribution, metabolism and excretion), but most importantly, daily dosage and duration. These latter two factors are determined by which disease you are treating. Side effects are significant and in a worst case scenario, include: GI ulcers and psychosis.

I am abbreviating this discussion because it is out of context. However, remember, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. Write down every concern and question you have, and ask your physician to respond until you are knowledgeable about the risks vs benefits of your own plan of therapy.
Best wishes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2008, 02:39 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,378,820 times
I have taken a LOT of it over the years for allergy problems. I am one of the few people that did not get the "moon face". It made me hyper and I had to have something to help me sleep. You should not have too many side effects, if any taking 10mg a day. Be sure to drink a lot of water.

Old 03-15-2008, 03:46 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,354,404 times
Well, I have taken both the Medrol Dose pack, and prednisone. This dose pack actually says.. Methylprednisolone... and the bottle is just prednisone, and, they are infact, 5 mg tabs.

Thank you for pointing that out.

Old 03-15-2008, 03:50 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,938,051 times
Start a list of questions and take it to your doctor. I am one person who has terrible side effects from prednisone and would avoid it again if possible. I could not sleep after taking it for a week, got terrible bloating/weight gain, acne, and my blood sugars elevated almost immediately. I am not saying you will have any of these problems, but ask lots of questions and any risks/benefits/alternatives before initiating any medical treatment.

Old 03-15-2008, 07:30 PM

2,410 posts, read 6,004,101 times
I took prednisone for an allergy breakout (covered in hives). I was on a ten day dosage. The only side effect I had was severe mood swings. (even my husband stepped lightly around me those 10 days) There are a ton of side effects though, my doctor told me that I could get happy, sad, angry, gain weight, lose weight, insomnia, drowsy, etc etc..... I thought that maybe he had no idea what would happen so was just listing off every possibility

Old 03-15-2008, 08:57 PM

328 posts, read 1,539,933 times
Hey thanks for all the input guys..yea I am really doing the best I can to avoid the roid. I am 23 and not incredibly active right now. I know everyones different but i see it as rather be safe then sorry and since it cant be stopped right away if i have side effects. prolly be like 1 month deal but u know drs. they will tell you what you want to hear a lot anyway...

Old 03-16-2008, 01:48 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,444,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinderobyn View Post
I am looking at a Medrol Dose pack I had to take.. Each tab was 4mg ea.

6 the first day, then tapering down to one, on the sixth day. Each day, one tab less than the other.

I am wondering if 10 mg isn't really so bad? Any thoughts out there? Did the dr tell you the duration of the treatment?
I have taken that blister pack before. When I have had a allergic reaction to a food product. It seems like allot but it is not really.

Old 03-16-2008, 03:00 AM

Location: Life here is not an Apollo Mission. Everyone calm down.
1,065 posts, read 4,536,443 times
I took Prednisone for two years because of UC. I've now had an iliostomy for 16 years and don't regret it for a minute because of the side effects to Prednisone. My most common dose was 20 mg. I had a brief remission that I was able to become successfully pregnant (such a blessing) and had to take 200 (yes 200 mg!) in the last two months of my pregnancy because it came back.

I gained weight, my faced mooned (even today I can tell when someone is taking it), had trouble sleeping, and had a quick temper.

The iliostomy ended all those meds for me. One great thing about UC, once your colon is out, it's over. I've felt great ever since.

10mg is a small dose and hopefully won't escalate any side effect you might have.

Old 04-14-2009, 08:31 PM

75 posts, read 192,263 times
Smile Predisone

I have a disease called Sarcoidosis. This was Bernie Mac the TV star and comedian had. God rest his soul. I have been on predisone off and on for last twenty years. I have been off predisone for two years. Today, I went to my doctor and told me that I have to get back on the drug. There are a lot good and bads things about this drug. Predisone is only drug that they have for Sarcoid. They have others but this is one that helps me. I know you do not want to go on the drug but ask your doctor are there anyother drugs that you can take. There is a great paperback book by name Coping with Prednisone and other cortisone-related medicines by Eugenia Zukerman and Julie R. Ingelfiner, MD. Copywright 1997. It has information on how bloated wiil I be? diet guidelines(great recipes) beating the bloat and munchies, coping with other side effects,etc. Stay Strong

Old 04-14-2009, 08:49 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikesareBetter View Post
Anyone ever take this drug? Experiences?

Being forced to take it..Not looking forward to weight gain. Am I Right?
Forced? Is someone holding a gun to your head? If you are not comfortable with the idea tell them NO. In fact tell them F***, NO.

I wouldn't take it. I'm sure it screws with your liver, or kidneys or heart. Most medicines do. End up killing you, they will.

20yrsinBranson
who occasionally sounds like Yoda
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness