Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 08:12 AM

194 posts, read 238,023 times

Advertisements

Is it a beer every night? Couple times a week? A glass of wine every night? A bottle? How about a pint of vodka a couple times a week and 2 fifths on the weekends?

I know this seems like a weird place for me to post this, but it is pertaining to someone in my life. I do not care to go into details, but just wondering opinions on "how much is too much"?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2015, 08:24 AM

4,613 posts, read 4,795,174 times
Possibly the wrong forum unless you're concerned that a date or SO is noticing.

My interpretation of "too much" is:

1) If you can't stop. And you have to be honest about the difference between "can't" and "don't want to"
2) If it affects other elements of your life. (i.e. spending so much money on alcohol that you can't pay bills, spending so much time drinking that you're not performing other responsibilities, etc.)

I've met a few people who crossed those lines, and the approximate "line in the sand" usually landed in the "finishing a 6-pack in a night more than once a week" or "more than a bottle of hard liquor in a week"

I've seen plenty of people have the "1-2 beers or glasses of wine per night" and wouldn't classify them in the "too much" category.

oh...

3) If you're drinking to get drunk more than to relax or for the taste. The older you are, the more symptomatic of a problem this is.

Old 12-18-2015, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind31 View Post
Possibly the wrong forum unless you're concerned that a date or SO is noticing.

My interpretation of "too much" is:

1) If you can't stop. And you have to be honest about the difference between "can't" and "don't want to"
2) If it affects other elements of your life. (i.e. spending so much money on alcohol that you can't pay bills, spending so much time drinking that you're not performing other responsibilities, etc.)

I've met a few people who crossed those lines, and the approximate "line in the sand" usually landed in the "finishing a 6-pack in a night more than once a week" or "more than a bottle of hard liquor in a week"

I've seen plenty of people have the "1-2 beers or glasses of wine per night" and wouldn't classify them in the "too much" category.

oh...

3) If you're drinking to get drunk more than to relax or for the taste. The older you are, the more symptomatic of a problem this is.
Thank you for the response. I thought hard about where to put this and I do believe it might belong in here since it is hurting a relationship.

Old 12-18-2015, 08:36 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,873,001 times
If the behavior is harming a relationship, the drinking is too much.

Old 12-18-2015, 08:48 AM

769 posts, read 830,083 times
Anyone who says a beer or 2 every day or a glass of wine every day has a problem is an idiot, sorry

If you come home and the first thing you do is tie one on to "escape", then yeah, you have a problem

Old 12-18-2015, 08:52 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
when is having a drink too much, that is a good question. one does not have to get drunk regularly to be considered an alcoholic. does this person require a drink each night to "relax"? does this person tend to lose control after having said drink? if so then this person may have the beginnings of a drinking problem and it should be addressed.

Old 12-18-2015, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
when is having a drink too much, that is a good question. one does not have to get drunk regularly to be considered an alcoholic. does this person require a drink each night to "relax"? does this person tend to lose control after having said drink? if so then this person may have the beginnings of a drinking problem and it should be addressed.
It's not a drink every night. One night it may be nothing, the next, a whole pint. No losing control, but change in behavior for sure. Most of the drinking occurs on the weekend, with a pint or 2 during the week. Sometimes it may just be beer.

Old 12-18-2015, 09:00 AM

1,615 posts, read 1,641,658 times
Different for each individual. I would say when the slurring starts,argumentative,unsteady on feet,playing the fool its probably due to too much intake. My mother was like that and when she started slurring words we headed for the hills!!! The other unknowns are what's it doing to liver and kidneys.

Old 12-18-2015, 09:03 AM

988 posts, read 682,880 times
If you're asking this question, then the drinking is a problem.

Note the use of the word "problem."

Somebody is going to raise their hand and kick and scream and say, "The quantity of drinking that OP describes is not alcoholism!" and on and on, but in my opinion, the only reason anybody asks a question like this is because the drinking is causing problems. Because if the drinking is not causing problems, then why ask the question?

I hope my answer doesn't sound too flippant. I take this kind of stuff seriously, based on long personal experience (with a happy ending). Best.

Old 12-18-2015, 09:04 AM

4,613 posts, read 4,795,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by welby1205 View Post
It's not a drink every night. One night it may be nothing, the next, a whole pint. No losing control, but change in behavior for sure. Most of the drinking occurs on the weekend, with a pint or 2 during the week. Sometimes it may just be beer.
A pint of what? I know you said vodka in the OP, but I've never seen anyone drink hard liquor by the pint. By the neat glass, or even out of the bottle (which is something of a sign in itself). But a pint of beer is absolutely standard. A pint of vodka is, well...quite a bit.

And as mentioned, if it's affecting a relationship, that's breaking rule 2 of my earlier post. It may not mean you're an alcoholic (having one drink will bother a SO that is against drinking), but if affects your relationship, it's a problem. Said person would need a new relationship, or cut the drinking down to a point that it no longer affects the relationship negatively. The priority is up to the person themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness