Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 09:05 AM

4,613 posts, read 4,795,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unwillingphoenician View Post

Note the use of the word "problem."

Somebody is going to raise their hand and kick and scream and say, "The quantity of drinking that OP describes is not alcoholism!"
/hi5 crosspost!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
There is no one answer to this. It's a complex diagnostic.

2,210 posts, read 2,155,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by welby1205 View Post
Is it a beer every night? Couple times a week? A glass of wine every night? A bottle? How about a pint of vodka a couple times a week and 2 fifths on the weekends?

I know this seems like a weird place for me to post this, but it is pertaining to someone in my life. I do not care to go into details, but just wondering opinions on "how much is too much"?

Thank you.

There is no single standard for "too much" alcohol consumption. Too many different things come into play. There are people that a single drink is too much alcohol. There are people that a couple of drinks every night is absolutely fine. Too many variables to enforce a single rule on all people.

I think there are clear signs that alcohol consumption is a problem in a relationship that should be raised an dealt with. The most obvious is when alcohol leads to a lowered anger and violence threshhold. Often people in physical or emotionally abusive relationships, the abuse increases directly related to alcohol consumption. Obviously this is a clear sing that help is needed, and probably protection for the victim.

Other things to be concerned about are obvious like job performance being impacted, criminal activty related to drinking and so on. Less obvious problems are when alcohol makes one partner emotionally cut off from the other. sometimes it impacts sexual performance. These things are not as obvious as someone getting fired or becoming abusive, but can harm a relationship just as badly.

All in all, you need to be able to speak to your parter about alcohol and its impact on the relationship. If it is hurting one or both partners, you need to get it out in the open.

That said, some frown upon alcohol completely. That is not the answer either. Many who have faced alcoholism directly or in someone they love have a hard time understanding that there are a great many people who can drink and not suffer from alcoholism. There are people who can drink a beer or two every night and never have it impact their life in any meaningful way. Alcoholism is fascinating in that it ignores some people, and grabs some people with just a single drink. Don't assume all drinking is bad. It might be, but bring it up and try to discuss it. If you have and its not working, then you may need ot get some help with this.

Old 12-18-2015, 09:13 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Quote:
Is it a beer every night? Couple times a week? A glass of wine every night? A bottle? How about a pint of vodka a couple times a week and 2 fifths on the weekends?

I know this seems like a weird place for me to post this, but it is pertaining to someone in my life. I do not care to go into details, but just wondering opinions on "how much is too much"?

Thank you.

I drink about a 6-pack a day, sometimes more. But I get up every day and go to work, I volunteer with the homeless, I pay all my bills, and have an awesome family that loves me.

When I think of someone who drinks too much, I believe it is when the drinking consumes your life and you no longer have a good relationship with your family, your work is suffering, you make an ass out of yourself at parties, etc.

It's relative.

Old 12-18-2015, 09:21 AM

194 posts, read 238,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I drink about a 6-pack a day, sometimes more. But I get up every day and go to work, I volunteer with the homeless, I pay all my bills, and have an awesome family that loves me.

When I think of someone who drinks too much, I believe it is when the drinking consumes your life and you no longer have a good relationship with your family, your work is suffering, you make an ass out of yourself at parties, etc.

It's relative.
Do you get buzzed up from this? What is the reason for drinking that amount daily?

Old 12-18-2015, 09:22 AM

11,795 posts, read 12,035,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post

It's relative.
You don't have to be a sloppy drunk to have a problem with alcohol. There is such a thing as a high-functioning alcoholic.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/High...ning_alcoholic

Old 12-18-2015, 09:24 AM

194 posts, read 238,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
You don't have to be a sloppy drunk to have a problem with alcohol. There is such a thing as a high-functioning alcoholic.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/High...ning_alcoholic
Yes, thank you for bringing that up. I've seen it first hand, with someone other than who I am posting about.

Old 12-18-2015, 09:27 AM

11,795 posts, read 12,035,581 times
Quote:
Yes, thank you for bringing that up. I've seen it first hand, with someone other than who I am posting about.
My aunt was a HFA. Never seemed drunk but drank wine daily. Died of cirrhosis of the liver. Your body doesn't care the way in which you consume the alcohol but rather how much and the resulting damage.

Old 12-18-2015, 09:27 AM

1,881 posts, read 1,483,683 times
One drink a day for women or two drinks a day for men is considered moderate alcohol consumption by the CDC and other health authorities. More than that, and you're getting into heavy drinking.

I'll add that I don't have an issue with tipsiness generally confined to parties or other social occasions. The point is that there is no physical or emotional dependency.

Old 12-18-2015, 09:30 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,036,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind31 View Post
Possibly the wrong forum unless you're concerned that a date or SO is noticing.

My interpretation of "too much" is:

1) If you can't stop. And you have to be honest about the difference between "can't" and "don't want to"
2) If it affects other elements of your life. (i.e. spending so much money on alcohol that you can't pay bills, spending so much time drinking that you're not performing other responsibilities, etc.)

I've met a few people who crossed those lines, and the approximate "line in the sand" usually landed in the "finishing a 6-pack in a night more than once a week" or "more than a bottle of hard liquor in a week"

I've seen plenty of people have the "1-2 beers or glasses of wine per night" and wouldn't classify them in the "too much" category.

oh...

3) If you're drinking to get drunk more than to relax or for the taste. The older you are, the more symptomatic of a problem this is.
Spot on! (Except quantity...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness