Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 01:14 PM

2 posts, read 32,376 times

Advertisements

Same thing every winter.... the tips of my thumbs and fingers split. Lotion to prevent does not seem to work. Any thoughts on what to do to get them to heal quickly ??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2008, 08:32 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,347,374 times
Try putting either socks or gloves on over a heavy application of vaseline at night. I know it's a little uncomfortable to sleep with anything on your hands but no more uncomfortable then split fingers!! I lived in a town in the high elevation for many years. The humidity ran about 10% most of the time and my fingers cracked liked what you are talking about---this was the only thing that seemed to help plus it wasn't expensive!

Old 02-02-2008, 09:31 AM

1,356 posts, read 6,031,948 times
The best supplement I have found for strengthening nails is Biotin. Try 100-300 mcg per day. But give it a few weeks to start working. You also could try a B-Complex supplement.

Old 02-02-2008, 09:39 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,944,770 times
When my fingertips crack in winter, I put a thick application of Bag Balm on the hands and then sleep with cotton gloves over my hands. It works like a charm!
The Original Bag Balm

Some very nice Vermonters recommended that a few years back when I was vacationing up there and had this problem.

I also have this problem less when I take some good vitamins and stay very well hydrated/eat lots of protein.

Old 02-02-2008, 12:29 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,778,311 times
I also have this problem, and I find it is the dry skin around the crack that pulls it papart even more. Try clipping very gently with a clean nail cipper, the excess skin. My Mom had given me a bottle of something that looked and smelled like clear nail polish, it didn't wash off and it stayed together until the crack healed. Worked great! Unfortunatley I don't know the name of it., I lost the bottle. I have even put a little dab of crazy glue on them!
The trick is too keep hands soft so that cracks won't happen, but once they start, most creams won't help in the healing process.

Old 02-02-2008, 12:50 PM

5,826 posts, read 9,619,957 times
I use to have that problem too. Vaseline is the least expensive way to go. I would apply vaseline to my finger tips and palms, then wear surgical gloves to bed. That kept the moisture on my hands and not all over my bed. In the morning, just throw the surgical gloves away and use a fresh pair the next night.

Old 02-03-2008, 01:11 AM

2 posts, read 32,376 times
thanks for the help folks, I appreciate it !!

Old 02-03-2008, 01:26 AM

335 posts, read 1,029,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_s View Post
When my fingertips crack in winter, I put a thick application of Bag Balm on the hands and then sleep with cotton gloves over my hands. It works like a charm!
The Original Bag Balm

Some very nice Vermonters recommended that a few years back when I was vacationing up there and had this problem.

I also have this problem less when I take some good vitamins and stay very well hydrated/eat lots of protein.
Excellent advice, Bag Balm is the most well kept secret!

Old 02-03-2008, 07:51 AM

4,620 posts, read 15,011,140 times
Aloe gel has worked for me, and it absorbs in rather quickly, so no overnight gloves were needed.

Old 02-03-2008, 08:00 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,347,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_s View Post
The Original Bag Balm

I too have used the Bag Balm and it works well too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness