Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 06:27 PM

1,285 posts, read 3,609,716 times

Advertisements

Bad idea to exercise. Rest first, get an evaluation, you can do more harm exercising, I know first hand. Later needed an operation. Do not diagnose yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2013, 06:53 PM

1,140 posts, read 1,302,021 times
This excercise will help solve your problems.

You can advance eventually to the full bridge

Working Your Core: How to Do the Bridge Exercise - Health & Fitness - ModernMom - YouTube

I would work your way up to about 3 sets of 50 and do this once a week. Twice at the most.

When you're not doing that, you can do a static hold.

When you feel better, try doing the excercise the woman is doing in this video, but instead of just doing a static hold, work your hips up and down, pausing for a second at the top.

Do this only once a week, twice at the most.

When you get to 3 sets of 40 to 50, you can start with head bridges.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQTZA1id4_0

WHen you feel really good, you can do a full bridge where your back hits the ground and then you rise up. You will have a very healthy spine at that point.

Old 02-25-2013, 03:48 PM

4,947 posts, read 10,818,188 times
Well enough was enough. I couldn't go on any longer.
Went to a doctor and TRIED to get a cortisone shot.
EXTENSIVE research led me to a clinic. I called---and was told YES they do use Decadron injections for my symptoms.

Well--I went there and although the doctor was super super nice and friendly--and quite intelligent--he decided NOT to give me an injection.
His solution--which does make sense by the way was to perscribe a "prednisone burst" which consists of another script for 60 mg daily for 5 days.
I looked it up online and it appears this new dosage should do the trick.
We'll see.

Old 02-25-2013, 03:58 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,937,825 times
Good luck to you. Backs are so finicky and can be so extremely difficult to treat once problems start. What works for some won't for others. Hopefully that treatment helps. Did you get an MRI?

Old 02-25-2013, 04:03 PM

4,947 posts, read 10,818,188 times
No insurance = no MRI.
I will however have insurance in 90 days.
That's what I'm shooting for now---get insurance--then get an MRI.

Old 02-25-2013, 04:45 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,937,825 times
Sorry to hear that. The MRI will really be the key to knowing what is going on inside your back.

Old 02-25-2013, 05:18 PM

2,707 posts, read 2,839,465 times
I've had back trouble for the past 15 years, with it being the worst in the last 6. I have had the same symptoms you are having, and it too, put me in bed. I had already gone through the chiropractor/doctor thing and knew what the score was. Two disks ground down to practically nothing, and a sciatic nerve giving me misery, so I opted for my way. It literally took me 2 weeks before I could function normally. My wife got worried because for me, trying to get out of bed brought tears to my eyes, and I found it hard to breathe because the pain was so debilitating. My aunt had sciatic problems, and at 60 something opted to have surgery. If you do get better, a word to the wise. Unless the doctor gives you the green light after your MRI, take precautions else you could end up the same way again. I know. Back problems, once you get them seem to stay with a person forever. Good Luck

Old 02-25-2013, 05:23 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,352,311 times
I have terrible hip flexor pain and IT band in the same leg. The hip flexor is the front of your leg... horrible pain and inhibits lifting and turning leg. stretching helps but not much. It might be your hip flexor shortening.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:19 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,068,816 times
I had never heard of IT band problems before, but after 2 cortisone injections and no relief, the doc said to try these IT band exercises, and hooray ! I was ok again. Went on the internet, printed them out, and continue with 3 of them almost every day. I, too, thought it was sciatica, but it wasn't. I was so bad that I bought a cane cause the pain was excruciating when walking. The right doc means everything when it comes to back pain.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:53 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,167,729 times
StaggerLee, I empathise and for the record I have two herniated disks and sciatic pain that goes from my buttock and down across the front of my thigh. When it goes nuclear I cannot stand or walk and the pain is excruciating and burning and meds don't work unless they're "knock you out completely" type meds.

What does work: Exercise. I am simply not disciplined enough to do my back exercises at home. I joined a gym and do core/back exercises 5-6 days a week, plus walking with the dogs, and the pain is pretty much gone as long as I do this.

Before, it was 24/7 pain....manageable but always there and frequently keeping me from sleeping.

I know pills are easier than exercise. But it's working for me. Mid 50s, chronic bad back for almost 30 years; the only relief I get is from exercise....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness