Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2011, 02:02 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,673,781 times

Advertisements

how long does it take to recover from strep throat from diagnosis to return to work? i ask because i heard rumors that another worker who asked me to work for them in their place may have lied and may have only claimed they had strep just to get me to work

the worker first contacted me on Thursday and asked me to work for them on Saturday, not mentioning anything about an illness. i initially said no and got a call from a supervisor on Friday asking me to work for them because the worker supposedly had strep.

when i got to work today some workers said she may have lied just because she didn't feel like coming in but then someone else told me they heard that the worker had strep. i don't know who to believe

i was told the worker is expected back to work on Tuesday. can strep only last 5 days?
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2011, 04:10 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,073,706 times
I heard that it can last up to a month to fully recover .

Old 11-12-2011, 07:05 PM

60 posts, read 260,845 times
I had strep twice in 2009. First time I thought it was just a cold, but ended up with a throat so sore, it felt like someone had gone over it with a cheese grater. I had a fever and it brought tears to my eyes every time I swallowed, along with absolutely no voice- I couldn't even squeak. Making the doctor's appointment over the phone was interesting, lol. Went into the doctor and I was in such bad shape that they gave me a penicillin shot right then and there, along with a prescription for antibiotics. It took about 48 hours for the major throat pain to go away and I still felt run down for a few days after that, but yeah, when properly treated, strep doesn't take too long to go away (for the most part. Everyone is different. Someone might have a strain that isn't affected by the brand of antibiotics the doc prescribes and might end up having to go back to the doc and get a different type of abx when they realize they're not getting better, etc.).

Strep is NO fun whatsoever, though.

Old 11-12-2011, 09:19 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,694,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
how long does it take to recover from strep throat from diagnosis to return to work? i ask because i heard rumors that another worker who asked me to work for them in their place may have lied and may have only claimed they had strep just to get me to work

the worker first contacted me on Thursday and asked me to work for them on Saturday, not mentioning anything about an illness. i initially said no and got a call from a supervisor on Friday asking me to work for them because the worker supposedly had strep.

when i got to work today some workers said she may have lied just because she didn't feel like coming in but then someone else told me they heard that the worker had strep. i don't know who to believe

i was told the worker is expected back to work on Tuesday. can strep only last 5 days?
It can take 10 days to a few weeks to recover from strep.

However, after being on antibiotics just a few days the person is no longer contagious and could therefore return to work, if they felt able, even though they were technically still sick.

Find out if your co-worker is on antibiotics and you could have your answer

Old 11-12-2011, 10:10 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,519,774 times
Strep can be mild or severe. Obviously the more severe the longer the healing period. I'm not sure I remember this for Strep; don't they tell you one day on antibiotics and you can resume as normal activity as tolerated? When I've seen severe that wasn't possible. We had a doctor once that said he could smell it on the patient and I had noticed a weird smell too.

Old 11-13-2011, 06:27 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
after 24 hrs of being on an antibiotic, you're safe to return to work and school. You may not feel up to snuff, but you're ok to return to work.

Old 11-13-2011, 06:40 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
I used to get strep often when I was a kid. The worst of it usually lasted three days; first day when I woke up and felt horrible and mom took me to the doctor. Second day on antibiotics, that was always the worst, because swallowing was torture. Third day was only slightly less horrible than the second. By the fourth day I could return to school if I was up to it, but mom would sometimes keep me home anyway because this always happened around flu season and the last thing I needed, was to go to school with a compromised immune system (from the antibiotics) and get sick on TOP of recovering from strep.

I wouldn't usually feel "my usual self" til close to two weeks. As an adult who has to provide for their family, no way would I return to work til I felt healthier again. Way too much illness in modern buildings, to risk getting sick from someone else, while you're recovering from illness.

Old 11-13-2011, 06:48 PM

she's 63 and was a compulsive smoker until she quit at least a decade ago. you can still hear the cough. she had pneumonia back in may so maybe it never totally went away?

i'm sure the office grapevine will help me!!

Old 11-13-2011, 06:49 PM

she's 63 and single no kids so she doesn't have to stay home for long...

Old 11-14-2011, 05:06 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
she's 63 and single no kids so she doesn't have to stay home for long...

she's 63 and obviously in poor health, she's not going to bounce back in 24 hrs.

Can I give you a piece of workplace advice? Quit listening to rumors and stay away from the office grapevine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness