Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 09:46 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,726,634 times

Advertisements

Fair warning, this is a tad gross and personal, but I'll do my best to minimize that.

So, a few months ago I decided to make a concerted effort to eat better. My diet wasn't too horrible to begin with, but I started really keeping track of what I'm eating (and the fat/calorie content) and trying for more vegetables, fruits, and whole grains. In general I feel great, look better, have lost weight, etc etc. However, I'm noticing some stomach/digestive issues that I didn't have before. First off, I'm having a lot more bowel movements than I used to (went from 1 a day to about 3), and they smell far worse. I've also never been prone to flatulence, but now find it to be more frequent than in the past (again, smell is far worse than before). I've never had stomach issues before, and have no allergies.

At first I thought I may have been reacting to higher fiber intake, as I do remember something like that happening before, but would that last for several months? I've noticed that if I eat more junk food these issues tend to go away, which leads me to believe that the veggies/fruits may be playing a part (as opposed to say, gluten). Should I be looking into perhaps some probiotics or digestive enzymes? Or, is this just normal and I didn't know?

I will talk to my doctor about it, but won't have an opportunity to do so for a while because of a busy schedule, so I'm wondering if there's a good "quick fix" for the time being. Overall, it's nothing horribly worrisome, just irritating. I bought some Beano, but since it seems to be caused by just about everything, I feel like I'll burn through that pretty quickly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2011, 09:54 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,822,700 times
I would try the probiotics first b/c I've had the same thing and after about 3 days on the probiotics it had resolved itself. I got the Garden of Life stuff b/c I had a feeling my gut flora was really off kilter. Also, if you get gassy, deactivated charcoal tabs work great. Congrats on the healthier eating though--I'll bet you feel a whole lot better.

Old 10-09-2011, 10:05 AM

19,743 posts, read 20,300,567 times
I would guess it's the fiber. Not that you should stop, but you may be overdoing one fruit/veg/whatever in particular. So keep tabs on what you're eating..

Maybe try working some yogurt into your daily.

Old 10-09-2011, 10:45 AM

2,190 posts, read 6,857,260 times
Eat the fruit alone.
It's a principle of good food combining / optimum digestion.
I don't know what kind of fruit you're eating but cut way back on all of the really sweet fruits and don't overdo fruit in general.
Yeah, fruit is really good for you but too much of anything can be problematic.
It's still sugar and may be contributing to a yeast overgrowth in which case (in any case actually) taking a pro-biotic supplement like Stepka suggested is a good idea.
Find them at your local health food store (avoid pharmacy supps.) or find on-line.
That you're having more bowel movements is not a bad thing! and the smell could be a detox odor ... clearing old fecal matter out and/or just "reflecting" the change in your diet.
To me, that the symptoms are alleviated a bit when you eat some junky food is an indication that you're detoxing.
Sometimes when i'm experiencing a cleansing and feel overwhelmed by the detox symptoms, i'll eat some pizza just to "slow things down".
If you've been a junk food eater and are just beginning to eat whole foods it's going to take your body awhile to adjust.
You don't need a doctor.
You just need to give your body a chance to adjust to a new way of eating.
Digestive enzymes may be helpful but i'd first see if by eating fruit alone and cutting back if you're eating too much fruit will alleviate your symptoms.

Old 10-09-2011, 01:03 PM

3,301 posts, read 11,726,634 times
Thanks everyone! I'll definitely check out what you've all suggested. Glad to know it's not a completely freakish problem

Old 10-10-2011, 10:05 PM

22,674 posts, read 24,650,273 times
Myself personally, when I eat MOST whole grains...........well, I develop DYNAMIC WINDS and make a mess of my panties.

Also, when I eat something like whole wheat bread.........yuck, I feel slightly feverish and nauseated.........rip up my panties for the next day or so.

LOTS of poeple have problems with WHOLE grains, you may be one of them.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Myself personally, when I eat MOST whole grains...........well, I develop DYNAMIC WINDS and make a mess of my panties.

Also, when I eat something like whole wheat bread.........yuck, I feel slightly feverish and nauseated.........rip up my panties for the next day or so.

LOTS of poeple have problems with WHOLE grains, you may be one of them.
sounds like you have wheat and / or gluten intolerance big time!
yikes!
pooping in your panties too?!
i recommend the kegel exercise for you!

Old 10-10-2011, 11:06 PM

22,674 posts, read 24,650,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
sounds like you have wheat and / or gluten intolerance big time!
yikes!
pooping in your panties too?!
i recommend the kegel exercise for you!
Hahaha, kegel for the Bu**hole.......hahaha.

I just avoid whole grains and I am fine....don't really like anyways.

Old 10-12-2011, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Hahaha, kegel for the Bu**hole.......hahaha.

I just avoid whole grains and I am fine....don't really like anyways.
well, not just for that but yeah.
lots of benefits.
you're funny.

Old 10-12-2011, 05:58 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,169,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
I would try the probiotics first b/c I've had the same thing and after about 3 days on the probiotics it had resolved itself. I got the Garden of Life stuff b/c I had a feeling my gut flora was really off kilter. Also, if you get gassy, deactivated charcoal tabs work great. Congrats on the healthier eating though--I'll bet you feel a whole lot better.
1+

Also it takes a little time for your body to get used to a different diet.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness