Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 09:12 AM

5 posts, read 31,714 times

Advertisements

My Parents are in their 70's. They have both Medicare and Medicaid and they needed long term care now. I'm helping them to choose a health insurance to work along with both Medicare and Medicaid. I heard that's how Medicare and Medicaid work in New York; and between the two, Medicaid covers long term care (LTC).

So a complete list of health insurance that offers LTC and works with Medicaid would be helpful. I googled with "medicaid health plans nyc" anyway. A bunch of companies showed up. Among them are Affinity, WellCare, EmblemHealth, HealthFirst, Aetna, GuildNet, CenterLight, and UnitedHealthCare. There could be more.

So my question is, which one is at least good? Are there any review or rating from well-known magazine or newspaper to help consumers to pick?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 10:31 AM

8,001 posts, read 9,210,962 times
They all severely restrict care, hence why they were created: to save the state money.
If you like their current doctors see which ones belong to which plans.

Old 04-29-2014, 05:35 PM

51,113 posts, read 36,826,194 times
I have worked in nursing homes for 18 years, and have never heard of having insurance to supplement Medicaid. If someone has Medicaid, it means they have no assets, and whatever income they get goes to the home. So any insurance you got for her you'd have to pay for yourself. What exactly is it you're trying to cover that Medicare/Medicaid doesn't? No insurance aside from Long Term Care Insurance would cover long term care, and your parents would have needed to get that years before she actually needed nursing home care (even then it would have been very expensive, which is why most people can't afford to buy it). No LTC company will approve them if they're already near the point of needing LTC. Are you talking about a managed care Medicaid policy? Normally the state decides what provider to have oversee someone's medicaid, since it's not something your parents actually pay for. In NJ now, they assign a Medicare managed care provider to replace traditional Medicare altogether when someone goes on Medicaid.

Old 05-14-2014, 05:52 AM

2 posts, read 3,260 times
Hi! And I wonder what you like? I tried with online security and insurance. Online is very easy and fast, you just have to find the right insurance company.When needed I can share my own, but only if you want.

Old 05-14-2014, 11:45 AM

3,007 posts, read 3,145,792 times
I am afraid you need to do a lot more homework. THere is not any insurance other than Long term care insurance, which is bought early in life for need later, which you obviously do not have, which would cover long term care, i.e. nursing homes.
Medicaid can cover it but only after all assets other then $2000. have been exhausted, any home would be taken to pay back medicaid, with exception that spouse may live there, until they die or are put in care themselves. It is not an easy thing to qualify for medicaid long term care and you have to find a nursing home that will take Medicaid patients and that has an available medicaid bed.
Good luck.

Old 06-16-2014, 11:21 PM

4,067 posts, read 5,660,783 times
If they need long-term care right away, the insurance companies offering long-term care could probably deny coverage. It's not true that these policies have to be bought "early in life". Most are bought for those who are seniors or will be seniors within a decade or so, but it's normally started before it's needed.

Old 06-20-2014, 12:08 PM

48,502 posts, read 97,034,743 times
Yep; the federal restriction on wealth and Medicaid requirements means not being able to afford other long term care. Long term policies are not a thing like most insurance of taking it out when needed.

Old 07-29-2014, 05:46 PM

15 posts, read 17,631 times
Default Reply

I'm sorry but I find the question confusing. I am a writer for an insurance company but I haven't heard any insurance company basing/using the Medicaid to pay the policy. That is the sole purpose of Medicare and Medicaid if an individual has no long-term care insurance policy, to shoulder a limited amount of expenses. If however, you'll remain persistent on this matter, I may suggest you to look on www.acsia.com. They may have a list

Old 11-17-2014, 12:16 PM

98 posts, read 235,785 times
Health insurance does not provide long term care coverage. You need an LTC policy to cover long term care expenses.

Old 11-17-2014, 04:23 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,380,732 times
Unless there is something very different about New York, then there is no insurance to be purchased for someone 70 yrs. old needing long term care now. Like other's have said, if she has no assets except a home (which they will take if she lives alone, or if she has a spouse - when he dies.)

If there are no other assets you need to apply for medicaid, and would do good to hire a consultant to help you with obtaining approval.

Long term care insurance is not like other insurances. It must be purchased years in advance and premiums paid monthly typically for twenty years or more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance