Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 05:27 PM

45 posts, read 135,306 times

Advertisements

We have always planned on moving to Hawaii, since we were high school sweethearts. Now many years later, we want to act upon that plan/dream.
This last summer we almost acted on desperation and moved over with no savings. But the cold hard truth of the economy and job market held us from that move.

So now we are saving money and waiting. Would like to move to Hawaii in a year - two max. Looking at BI or Maui.

I have 20+ years administrative experience working for the State of CA, so I feel that if we actually live on the Island - I would stand a good chance of finding good employment. Hopefully with the federal government - that way I could earn a second retirement :-)

We are small town folk from north east CA.
Have read so many posts on forums and whatnot about how it won't work. Two years max and you'll be going back. Rock fever. High cost of living. Bad public education. Discrimination. Etc…
Well, we are a large one-income family who have clipped coupons and eaten what was on sale for the last 22 years. We rarely leave our little 'rock' or hometown area. So 'being able to just hop in your car and drive to another state' - does not pertain to us. From the forums I guess that’s a big one for some people. Education is bad most everywhere. The classes are crowded here and many teachers are no good. It’s the same everywhere I suppose. There is always homeschooling. And there is always discrimination - its the way of this world.

So do you think moving to Hawaii, with no employment lined up, no income, with say $30,000.00 in savings to live off while finding employment, is doable in this day and age? (in a year or two)

I would love some input from someone who has doneit, who is there. Any you could provide would be sooo appreciated.
Thank you for taking the time to read my ramblings :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 05:40 PM

18,419 posts, read 19,031,744 times
give it a try. you never know till you do. keep enough money in reserve to go home if it doesn't work out. rent a furnished place and see what happens. the islands will either embrace you or spit you out. good luck to you

Old 05-26-2010, 05:47 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,035,748 times
I think your plan has merit but I'm afraid working for the Federal Government on Maui or the BI might be a problem. Almost all Federal jobs are on Oahu and of course the cost of housing there is normally higher.

Old 05-26-2010, 05:58 PM

46 posts, read 141,182 times
In a year or two many things can change, so although I'm not from Hawaii I guess it's hard to tell what will be in a year. From the other side, a little bit of adventure is sometimes welcome

Old 05-26-2010, 07:31 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,446,878 times
Working for the federal or local government isn't any easier if you live here already, unless there's a test you have to take in person. Just keep looking for federal jobs on USAJOBS - The Federal Government's Official Jobs Site and apply to them.

Maui County, HI - Official Website has job listings. I applied for a job here last year, and now a year later I live on Maui.

Last edited by winkosmosis; 05-26-2010 at 07:53 PM..

Old 05-26-2010, 08:42 PM

1,234 posts, read 4,591,143 times
What was the question?

Oh ya Id go for it 2 yars is a ong time and if you watch the job postins you could time it right.

Good luck

Old 05-26-2010, 10:26 PM

Thank you all for your replies. I truly appreciate. Oahu is out of the question. Was very tempted to give it a try - because of all the jobs - but that is just not the Hawaii we have in mind.
Just hoping that in a year or two - we'll be looking at a new economic picture.

Mahalo

Shane

Old 05-26-2010, 10:44 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,035,748 times
Don't blame you, I would have a hard time living there too.

It will all work out, stick to your dream.

Old 05-27-2010, 06:42 AM

145 posts, read 451,234 times
I say, go for it! It isn't as if you are coming over empty handed and empty headed. You know what you will be up against; you have a bit of savings to fall back on should things go terribly wrong and you have (it seems to me anyway), a pretty good grip on what the reality of it will be. I'm fairly certain there are many others who have come to the islands a lot less prepared than you will be and ended up making it any way. Good luck! Maybe I'll see you there in a year or two.

Old 05-27-2010, 02:30 PM

And before I offend anyone from Oahu - please understand I mean no disrespect. I think Oahu is a lovely island, and you are blessed to call it home.

We are just not city people. I know Oahu isn't one big city, it just that the city or military bases would be where I would most likely have to work - and therefore live. Sure I could commute = but we are trying to get away from the mainland way of life, not bring it with us ;-)

Shane
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii