Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 06:39 PM

4 posts, read 17,363 times

Advertisements

First I just want to say I think the hawaiian people and culture are the most beautiful I have ever seen. I would never want to offend in any way and can understand to a certain extent the animosity toward I don't know how to spell it but when they refer to us as haolies (SP?) but really we are all the United States and rather than bicker over racial remarks and unfair things that happened many years ago. I went to wikipedia and saw pretty much why the Hawaiians not all but a lot have chips on their shoulders for mainlanders. However if anyone traces back far enough would it not be fair to say we all have had something unfair done to us and it does no good to continue the animosity and draw lines of division. I raise my daighter to never be prejudice nor judging of someone on their skin color but their actions. To be honest when I visited Maui the only unfriendly hawaiians I saw were the ones surfing at hookipa beach and we definitley got the look like we were in their territory. Everyone else and I mean everyone was very friendly. I am sure Mexican people get mad when they are basically told to go back to their own country, however if they have immigrated properly then who is anyone to say anything. Really one would hope that anyone moving to truly what I think is the most beautiful spot on earth, well one would hope they would become involved with the commuinty and serving it in a small or big way whatever their resourses allowed for. The hawaiian people feel the way they do for a reasona and to be honest getting priced out of your home market in California is just as prevelent when the people from the south move up north and cause price gauging. I definitily think there needs to be better schools and low income housing for the hawaiian families. Maybe a special hotel surcharge like 2 dollars a day or a increase in some tourist activity could be set aside to build funds for something like this. I don't know, but I do know this. It is part of the Unites States and I have to admit I take a little bit of offense to people who say please do not move here we don't need more mainlanders and we are overcrowded and etc etc....you know the song this land is YOUR land this land is MY land. My dream is a five year plan and we are one year in to move to Hawaii, we just have not decided on which island. I hope there are better schools by then but homeschool now a days has many good options and I am sure there are lots of parents on the islands that get together for activities with their kids friends that are homeschooled.

Old 09-02-2007, 10:33 PM

393 posts, read 1,497,406 times
Maybe because the haoles have priced the Native Hawaiians right out of the housing market? That's just one reason. It might be ancient history to you, but it's still happening today. Of course you think everyone should get along. You won the war. First the Native Americans, then the Native Hawaiians...any other country you'd like to take by force?

The mainlanders stole the land by force (It's a fact. Face it. Not in ancient history...only 114 years ago...a fact that was FINALLY acknowledged and apologized for by President Clinton), and in return they've so overcrowded the islands that the housing market has skyrocketed. The Native Hawaiians who once had places to live now find themselves at the bottom of the totem pole trying to find affordable housing. They look around at what used to be beautiful lands and see nothing but expensive condos and houses they know they'll never be able to afford.

"This land is your land, this land is my land"? How about "This land WAS your land, this land is my land"? You know, the song written by a haole...

As I said, that is just ONE reason. Disease, destruction of culture via missionaries and politicians...it goes on and on, but I'll keep my comments to the subject of housing.

Who am I? My ancestors includes both conquerors and the subjugated. I see both sides of the issue.

Old 09-03-2007, 09:10 PM

126 posts, read 688,833 times
You know , I totally agree with you TribalCat, and I think the reason I am so reactionary to the idea that it's all an alohafest and there's no problem for haole folks is because it totally discounts everything you mentioned above.

This idea that if people get a negative attitude it means they must have put out a negative attitude disregards the fact that the locals may not dislike you the individual, but they dislike what your very presence means. I think to live in Hawaii is to understand that.

Old 09-04-2007, 11:44 AM

19 posts, read 102,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TribalCat View Post
Maybe because the haoles have priced the Native Hawaiians right out of the housing market? That's just one reason. It might be ancient history to you, but it's still happening today. Of course you think everyone should get along. You won the war. First the Native Americans, then the Native Hawaiians...any other country you'd like to take by force?

The mainlanders stole the land by force (It's a fact. Face it. Not in ancient history...only 114 years ago...a fact that was FINALLY acknowledged and apologized for by President Clinton), and in return they've so overcrowded the islands that the housing market has skyrocketed. The Native Hawaiians who once had places to live now find themselves at the bottom of the totem pole trying to find affordable housing. They look around at what used to be beautiful lands and see nothing but expensive condos and houses they know they'll never be able to afford.

"This land is your land, this land is my land"? How about "This land WAS your land, this land is my land"? You know, the song written by a haole...

As I said, that is just ONE reason. Disease, destruction of culture via missionaries and politicians...it goes on and on, but I'll keep my comments to the subject of housing.

Who am I? My ancestors includes both conquerors and the subjugated. I see both sides of the issue.
I am a haole, a so called foreigner and I want you to know that I have posted a similar comment on the K forum, in defense of native Hawaiians. But, I am sure you also realize that it is now also Hawaiians who sell land and homes to haoles/foreigners for profit. I know, because I bought my land from natives a while back.

Old 09-06-2007, 05:47 PM

8 posts, read 50,519 times
If every people who occupied/conquered another were made to return to their ancestral homelands 90% of the worlds population would be on the move , including so-called pure hawaiians(who comprise approx.8,000) who'd have to return to polynesia. The other "hawaiians"(comprised of 50% or more hawaiian blood) would have to return to England, Japan, Okinawa, Guam, Puerto Rico, Portugal, etc... heck lets even leave those countries and return to the true homeland of human-kind, Africa. Instead of lamenting the loss of over-crowed places, move to the country-side of the big island of Hawaii. Land's cheap, lots of it w/no credit, small down and mo. pymts. Start thinking of yourselves as earth citizens and the earth will open up to you. I'm from Florida by the way(at least 6 generations, grandmother native american) and decided to buy on the big island of hawaii. You think you have it bad, look at Florida. Be thankful there's not a bridge from the mainland. Aloha

Last edited by robert simmons; 09-06-2007 at 06:58 PM..

Old 09-07-2007, 01:05 PM

13,650 posts, read 20,780,689 times
Quote:
The mainlanders stole the land by force (It's a fact. Face it. Not in ancient history...only 114 years ago...
And you were how old then?

Old 09-07-2007, 01:37 PM

430 posts, read 1,264,214 times
The "we can't afford property because of......" hue and cry is going up ALL OVER the U.S.....here in Tucson we scream about those "California flippers" that have come in and driven our housing market so high those families trying to purchase their first home cannot do so. Our wages do not support those prices. So, it doesn't matter WHERE you live we all can cry about the housing market and the associated costs.

The distance between the "haves and the have nots" is getting wider and wider in this country.

We visit Maui every year and see other "visitors" treating it like it was Disney Land and their own private playground! The disrespect shown the land and it's native peoples is unbelieveable. When we go we try to be good visitors, respect the land and her people. But, attitudes need to change in both directions....not just for visitors. As a visitor to that beautiful land, try going as a guest....you would not behave that way in someone's home....

O.Nana

Old 09-07-2007, 07:07 PM

376 posts, read 490,434 times
Default Amen on every point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark Nana View Post
The "we can't afford property because of......" hue and cry is going up ALL OVER the U.S.....here in Tucson we scream about those "California flippers" that have come in and driven our housing market so high those families trying to purchase their first home cannot do so. Our wages do not support those prices. So, it doesn't matter WHERE you live we all can cry about the housing market and the associated costs.

The distance between the "haves and the have nots" is getting wider and wider in this country.

We visit Maui every year and see other "visitors" treating it like it was Disney Land and their own private playground! The disrespect shown the land and it's native peoples is unbelieveable. When we go we try to be good visitors, respect the land and her people. But, attitudes need to change in both directions....not just for visitors. As a visitor to that beautiful land, try going as a guest....you would not behave that way in someone's home....

O.Nana
I am from the Phoenix area-talk about not being able to afford a home. Amen on every point. There is a real problem when the average Joe has to work at least 2 jobs to keep a roof over their head! I wish the housing market would allow the little guy back in it. It sure used to be a nice dream to have.

Old 09-08-2007, 03:57 AM

65 posts, read 377,182 times
Mostly because of the ****ty attitudes that alot of them have when they come to Hawaii. I'm sure it's the same attitude that they have all the time, but that does not mean the people of Hawaii have to like it.

Old 09-08-2007, 01:03 PM

13,650 posts, read 20,780,689 times
What attitudes are these exactly? I am curious. I visited Hawaii once and loved it (who wouldn't?). No problems, but it was only a brief visit. I have no desire to move there, but were I to do so I cannot imagine copping any attitude or treating the locals differently than I would treat the good citizens of Topeka or Anchorage.

I have read a good deal of these Hawaii threads and have come to the inescapable conclusion that perhaps some of the locals have a chip on their shoulders. Last time I looked, Hawaii was the 50th State and anyone with means has a right to move there just as any Hawaiian has a right to move somewhere else (I know, you would never).

Sounds like newcomers must run a gauntlet and know a myriad of secret handshakes. I can only imagine the howls if Hawaiians were treated like this anywhere else. And what is a Hawaiian anyway? Seems Hawaii is mostly made up of the descendants of Chinese, Japanese, Portuguese and PR immigrants. That would put the place on par with San Francisco and Los Angeles amongst other places. I do not hear them bitching and moaning about their beloved land being overrun.

Sounds like a bunch of people found the place a long time ago and now want to raise the drawbridge up. Strikes me as a nice culture with an unfortunate streak of juvenilism.

Mahalo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: