Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 03:45 PM

9 posts, read 31,041 times

Advertisements

I think what bothers me at a fundamental level is the use of the word "native" (I won't even mention the mistaken possesive suffix here---oops I just did). As someone who is in the haole bucket of people, I am not really entitled to much of an opinion. That being said, I've seen way too many visitors being totally uncool and disrespectful of the magic that Hawai'i and her people are.

Old 09-08-2007, 08:32 PM

144 posts, read 736,746 times
I'm not a haole. I'm wayward local living on the mainland.

Hawaiians have a chip on their shoulder in regards to haoles? Maybe it's because of the huge influx of haoles in the last 30 years or so.

Maybe it's the multinational corporations buying up the shores of the islands to put up resorts and golf courses. I mean really people, does the world need more golf courses?

Maybe it's because when locals go to their favorite old time beaches there are now security guards waving them off, banishing them from these beaches because a new resort has been plopped down in that spot.

I think it's a case of culture shock.

Last edited by Paniolo Cowgirl; 09-08-2007 at 09:10 PM..

Old 09-08-2007, 08:46 PM

126 posts, read 689,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
What attitudes are these exactly? I am curious. I visited Hawaii once and loved it (who wouldn't?). No problems, but it was only a brief visit. I have no desire to move there, but were I to do so I cannot imagine copping any attitude or treating the locals differently than I would treat the good citizens of Topeka or Anchorage.
No, we don't either. And apparantly the people I worked with (locals, not neccesarily Hawaiians) who didn't speak to me ever (and by that I mean turn away when I smile and say hello day after day) are just giving back what I am giving out. ??

I can handle that they weren't thrilled to have me there for the above mentioned reasons. What I can't stand is other mainlanders, some who aren't even in Hawaii yet, condoning the predjudice because I must have somehow deserved it.

Old 09-09-2007, 12:30 PM

118 posts, read 672,812 times
I just HAD to respond to this thread. I found it terrifying that anybody can defend hating others and even proscribe to violence in any form.

Each of us can give personal opinions to support our positions, and both of us will have some points the "other side" can agree or disagree with, BUT regardless of our being "more right" than the other side, spreading hurtful and even hateful words - especially towards innocent children is the worst form of evil that reminds me of the likes of Hitler and his hatemongering that eventually led to almost the entire destruction of his own people. With the twisted logic that the so called "pure" Aryans had to protect the Fatherland, he concocted a solution ending up in the Holocaust. His solution - just hate and kill everybody that doesn't look like you - and oh, don't forget, use your own powerless common people as cannon-fodder.

I don't think hating Howlees is an admirable pastime that any native Hawaiin should be proud of, it's hatemongering that will eventually backfire and result in prejudice against them. I don't suspect any of them are considering a Howlee Holocaust, but you never know haw far things can get out of control. Hate crimes are on the rise nationally and that's the last thing Hawaiins need, to be corrupted and hijacked by extremists. Right now they have the great majority of Howlees on their side, including me, who want to see them do well. I don't want to see Hawaiian culture lost, I love everything about it. I would gladly support Hawaiin Homeland expansion, even if it cost me more in taxes to do so. I just don't think that the manufactured hate mongering of some narrow-minded few who have appointed themselves the guardians of Hawaiin culture helps the cause of Hawaiin nationalism. I hope that those few Hawiians who want to encourage prejudice and even hate towards others are strongly discouraged by their own people from taking such a self-destructive position. Hawaiians need to encourage support from everybody, Howlees included, to gain universal support for their goals of having a Homeland they can afford and be proud of. If the Muslims of the world would reign in the violent extremists and not let them dictate to the majority, maybe they could make progress in their cause. Everyday I hear more and more hatred towards Muslims because of the acts of a few extremists.

Mahatma Ghandi and Martin Luther King Jr sucessfully used universal peaceful protest and accomplished more between the two of them than all the other forgotten violent extremists who decided they represented the majority. In Northern Ireland 800 years of hatemongering only ended recently when both sides finally admitted they could only go forward for both their benefits if they worked together for a solution. The economy and living conditions for both sides improves daily.

My grandfather was a revolutionary soldier in Northern Ireland, he shot people, got shot, went to jail and eventually passed on this message as a result of his experiences: Work together & give peace a chance. As a result, my father and mother were peace and civil rights activists in the 60's & 70's and took part in many protests for equal rights for blacks. This rubbed off on me. I would proudly stand beside any Hawaiin protesting for his rights to be able to afford to live with his family in his own land - BUT PEACFULLY - I will never hatemonger against a group of people because of their color or other unique identifier.

This message will undoubtedly be lost on the most cynical persons, but it's MY opinion! I will not hate you in any way if you don't agree with me, I will just pray that one day you will see what my grandfather so clearly saw - hate is not the way!

Old 09-09-2007, 12:47 PM

19 posts, read 102,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paniolo Cowgirl View Post

Hawaiians have a chip on their shoulder in regards to haoles? Maybe it's because of the huge influx of haoles in the last 30 years or so.

Maybe it's the multinational corporations buying up the shores of the islands to put up resorts and golf courses. I mean really people, does the world need more golf courses?

Maybe it's because when locals go to their favorite old time beaches there are now security guards waving them off, banishing them from these beaches because a new resort has been plopped down in that spot.

If you only knew how much you are on the point. These issues you list would **** anybody off.

Old 09-09-2007, 01:16 PM

160 posts, read 486,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paniolo Cowgirl View Post

Although I do understand this, if you think this also doesn't happen on the mainland, you're mistaken. Or anywhere for that matter. As long as people keep electing and supporting people that care more about materialism and money than they do the fate of the world or their own kids for that matter, its a given.

Old 09-09-2007, 04:35 PM

13,681 posts, read 20,825,980 times
Quote:
So what? Last time I looked anyone had the right to live where they so chose and desired, restricted only by personal finance.

Except for the microscopic number of indigenous Hawaiians, everyone there came from somewhere else. To tag people "Haoles" is to tag people you do not even know with a derogatory term.

What these newcomers (aka people who came there just as you did) have to do with MNCs and golf courses is beyond me.

I too live in a place that is constantly growing due to new people moving here. I cannot be bothered to despise them. What law have they broken?

Old 09-09-2007, 06:10 PM

144 posts, read 736,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
So what? Last time I looked anyone had the right to live where they so chose and desired, restricted only by personal finance.

Except for the microscopic number of indigenous Hawaiians, everyone there came from somewhere else. To tag people "Haoles" is to tag people you do not even know with a derogatory term.

What these newcomers (aka people who came there just as you did) have to do with MNCs and golf courses is beyond me.

I too live in a place that is constantly growing due to new people moving here. I cannot be bothered to despise them. What law have they broken?
Haole is not a derogatory term.

When my haole husband and I got married (at Nani Mau Gardens btw), my grinning uncles slapped him on the back and said, "looks like we got another haole in the family". Then they offered him a beer.

Yeah we all have the right to live where ever we want. But is it truly wise for someone to move to a place where they can't stand the locals? The way they talk, the way they act, the things they eat... Is it a good idea for them to move to a place that walks to a different beat than they do?

The law that many well meaning haoles break when they come to the islands is the no wiki-wiki law. It's really a matter of attitude.

Last edited by Paniolo Cowgirl; 09-09-2007 at 06:30 PM..

Old 09-09-2007, 08:55 PM

160 posts, read 486,615 times
what is the wiki wiki law?

Old 09-09-2007, 09:48 PM

19 posts, read 102,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badatta2de View Post
what is the wiki wiki law?
If my memory serves me right "wiki wiki" stands for hurry up. We come here first on vacation because Hawaii is sooo relaxing, and then when we move here we want all things to go wiki wiki. Hawaiians have it right, "hang loose" is truly better than wiki wiki.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: