Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2010, 12:41 PM

109 posts, read 410,090 times

Advertisements

A couple of questions about registering your car in Hawaii. We have a car that will be shipped at the end of May.

The California tags expire at the end of May. Will the shipping company ship the car if the tags have expired? I'm guessing they won't let you drive the car off if you don't have current tags. The cost of tags in California is very expensive and I don't want to register for one month unless it's more expensive in Hawaii. California has a discount for military....is there a discount in Hawaii if you are stationed there. Will be shipping a Scion TC and an Infinity G35 that will need new plates and tags.

Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2010, 12:56 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,511,243 times
They do check the registration and require it to be current.

However, when I shipped a car last year, I inadvertently showed them a registration that was a year old both when I shipped and when I picked it up. They never noticed that it was a year old. They only briefly glanced at the form, but that was to verify that the vehicle was mine.

You should call the county office in Oahu as to pricing for the registration. Each county is slightly different, but go by weight of the vehicle for cost. Our 04 Honda CR-V is about $90 year on the Big Island.

Old 10-01-2012, 10:42 AM

1 posts, read 2,575 times
I am Pcsing to Hawaii and will be shipping my car. do anyone know if i keep the same plates on there from a different state or do i have to switch it to Hawaii?

Old 10-01-2012, 03:17 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,810,823 times
You'll need to obtain an "out of state permit", which will enable you to use your out of state plates until they expire. At that time, you'll need to get Hawaii plates. The Maui County website explains it better than Oahu's site.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii