Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 08:03 AM

115 posts, read 471,367 times

Advertisements

Let me ask you this, of course this may be in the wrong area but here it goes.

I have a vehicle that is registered, insured and licensed for the street legal use on the mainland get's 70 mile to the gallon small and compact. Since it is legal here shouldn’t it be legal in Hawaii? I contacted the DMV in Hawaii and they said it would not be legal there as it is considered an ATV not a UTV.

I believe there is a law that if driving a legal vehicle from one state to another the other states will honor the issuing state registration and such. I am looking for the law. If anyone knows this law or give me directions on where to find it I would greatly appreciate it.

Last edited by scirocco22; 09-12-2007 at 01:10 PM.. Reason: hijacking thread ...created new thread
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2007, 10:02 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,570,789 times
Jimbo,
What kind of car are you talking about? Smart car? If that's the case, call the Merdedes dealer over here and see what they have to say. There's a rental outfit over Lahaina side that rents something similar, but it's pretty much open cockpit. If that can get registered, I don't see why a Smart car can't. Of course I'm assuming thats the car you're talking about. Great gas mileage!!! I think I've seen them advertised on TV over here.

Aloha and okolemaluna

Old 09-12-2007, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
Jimbo,
What kind of car are you talking about? Smart car? If that's the case, call the Merdedes dealer over here and see what they have to say. There's a rental outfit over Lahaina side that rents something similar, but it's pretty much open cockpit. If that can get registered, I don't see why a Smart car can't. Of course I'm assuming thats the car you're talking about. Great gas mileage!!! I think I've seen them advertised on TV over here.

Aloha and okolemaluna
Actually it's a UTV like the kawaski mules, yamaha rhino and such. We drive them all over the place here. they have a top speed of 60 MPH disc brakes and all the things to make them street legal but not there.

Old 09-12-2007, 05:11 PM

The Mule looks very similar to what that rental shop was renting to tourists out Lahaina side. I don't know the name of the company that was renting them, but would see them all over the place. Doesn't look like something I'ld want to be involved in an accident with. If he could register something like that, I don't see why you couldn't. I like an enclosed vehicle with AC, maybe you shoud get a Honda Insight or the Smart car if you're looking for great milage, cause I don't see the price of crude going down soon. Hit $80.00 a barrel today!!!!!

Aloha and okolemaluna

Old 09-13-2007, 01:20 PM

They are a bit more modified then what your used to seeing.

bigger and wider with windshields if you like. Oh and a lot of fun to drive but the main reason is fuel mileage and very very low emissions.

These are a lot safer than some of the things I saw driving around the island like scooters, and those three wheel things.

Old 09-13-2007, 01:26 PM

1,375 posts, read 6,302,696 times
I want one!!

Old 09-14-2007, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynmkolohe View Post
I want one!!
Now you know why I want to bring one over. They are just a blast to drive and have 4 wheel drive that would climb up a wall when needed. The one pictured is just one of my basic looking ones you wouldn't believe some of the others.

Old 09-14-2007, 02:06 PM

Jimbo,
I don't see any turn signal lights or rear view mirrors on the one you pictured. Without those there is no way you could get registered. There is some guy selling an ultra-small high mpg vehicle on Oahu, next time I see their ad on tv I'll get the number and post it for you. I bought a Lotus Elise a few years ago here on Maui and had a hell of a time registering it, County of Maui said it was too small and not tall enough!! It was the first one in the county, and no government workers ever want to be the first to make a decision.
And the scooters over here are kind of like a latant death wish. I was on Kihei Road a few weeks back, traffic is roaring along at the usual 15 mph, look in my rear view mirror and some kid on a scooter is passing everyone on the right, until another tourist in a rental car makes a right hand turn into a mall, and nails the poor kid. They should get rid of the rental scooters and the bike from the crater outfits.

Aloha and okolemaluna

Old 09-14-2007, 02:13 PM

That's an older picture, it has all the stuff to make it legal such as mirror, lights, tail and brake lights, seat belts, lic plate light, turn signals and stuff.

That would be great if you could get me the information on the vehicles you were talking about. As of right now they are saying it doesn't have the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards approval but I keep telling them it's registered under the motorcycle and specialty vehicle which do not get that certification.

Thanks for the help

Old 09-14-2007, 05:11 PM

Jimbo,
I'll let you know as soon as I find out. The Lotus has an exemption from the fed rules, it has no bumpers front or back, just crash structures like an IRL car, that's how Lotus was able to bring it in. Perhaps you could do the same with your vehicle? It does look a hell of a lot like those little rentals in Lahaina though, I'll try to get the guys number and let you know.

Aloha and okolemaluna
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii