Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 10:04 AM

118 posts, read 671,722 times

Advertisements

Can somebody tell me if there is any readily available official VOG data source that provides detailed statistical facts such as potential toxic element hazard levels?

A USEFUL source/ link, as opposed to just everybody's varied opinions although they are very useful and appreciated, is what we need to be accurately informed for numerous important reasons, but most importantly health issues.

VOG dispersal patterns and toxic element hazard levels need to be accurately measured and charted as in rainfall data charts. One piece of information I would like to know, as probably many of us do, is how VOG settles down to ground level in order to accurately compare areas to see which are more vulnerable to VOG's negative effects on breathing, water, vegetation, etc.

I plan on settling on the Big Island in an area that doesn't have the highest measured levels of toxic hazards. I accept there will always be VOG, but why place myself in the worst area if that can be identified accurately?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2009, 10:16 AM

1,234 posts, read 4,588,653 times
Try this site

Big Island Vog Index

Old 07-05-2009, 11:58 AM

2,624 posts, read 7,256,578 times
Here's a link to the USGS FAQ page on vog, sulfur dioxide, and volcanic ash that might prove useful...
FAQ - SO2, Vog and Ash

Here's a link to a report by the Hawai'i House of Representatives Special Committee on Vog Effects that might also prove useful...
http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/sessio...ffectsSPCR.pdf

Old 07-05-2009, 11:22 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,506,708 times
After hearing all about it, and thinking I had some headache symptoms right after moving here (Nanawale) I don't think I was correct. My son with asthma has now gone over 2 weeks with no meds! He jogs every morning and says he feels great. We have even been near the active lava flows. The air seems clear (it can be kinda smelly when driving thru thick rainforest due to decaying plant matter) and the wife says I have stopped snoring?

Old 07-05-2009, 11:59 PM

432 posts, read 1,202,324 times
That's great news. Glad to hear it.

My concern continues to be the weird way that vog and the SO2 et al can suddenly affect people who weren't previously affected. As my own doctor explained it, vog is basically a chemical poison and different folks have different tolerances and it's hard to predict when a previously unaffected person will suddenly start being affected. I hope that doesn't happen to you or yours, but I have to say that even on Hamakua we are seeing more and more folks with lowered resistance, skin problems, and respiratory issues.

Old 07-06-2009, 11:25 PM

65 posts, read 289,101 times
Call the American Lung Association, Hawaii Chapter. They have a good list of resources.

Last edited by Kohala Coast tennis; 07-06-2009 at 11:26 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 07-07-2009, 03:23 PM

118 posts, read 671,722 times
Thanks for the tips; they look to be like what I need so far. I'm still sifting through everything as I get the chance; like almost everybody, I'm too busy with who knows what!

Wierd how one of you seems to be doing better in the face of VOG, & how the other of you mentions all those who suffer worse with VOG; it doesn't seem to make sense.

Did anybody get through all the data yet? I really want to know to what extent it's affecting the ground water in the various subdivisions as well as the air quality. When I figure it all out, I'll share what I know.

Old 07-28-2009, 01:40 PM

7 posts, read 39,111 times
Some of the best information comes from HVO website which has all sorts of links to other informative pages.

USGS Hawaiian Volcano Observatory (HVO)

I also have been doing research on where to live on the Big Island to avoid the worst of the vog as I plan to relocate there. I will be happy to share my information with you if you send me your Email.

Old 07-28-2009, 02:19 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,506,708 times
Remember that the volcano can decide at any time to open itself up in a different area which could drastically affect your decision to live where the VOG isn't.
The amount of VOG being produced had increased dramatically in the last year, but has since dropped off after the June 30th vent collapse, and since increased somewhat... It varies by day and no one knows what it will do today, let alone tomorrow or next year.

Old 09-16-2010, 10:34 PM

869 posts, read 971,835 times
So anyone with respiratory problems better think twice before moving to Hawaii-right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii