Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2009, 03:32 PM

1,467 posts, read 5,129,732 times

Advertisements

Where is the best place in Hawaii to visit? I've been searching but I'm a little overloaded with all the information on the internet. We are looking to visit for about a week. Not so interested in really touristy stuff but would like to get out and hike, bike, and swim. It's a honeymoon trip; so a spa close by would be nice too.

Any and all information is appreciated....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2009, 05:08 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,512,221 times
Just my opinion, but Maui may be the best honeymoon island, although Kauai may be a toss-up for some people.

Old 03-28-2009, 05:58 PM

1,046 posts, read 4,896,707 times
All of the islands have beautiful beaches and great trails (and other adventures), but here is my ranking for nature v. crowds/touristy stuff. (All of them have some of that, too.)

1. Big Island - Great beaches, drives, hikes, and the only one with an active volcano AND nice resorts.
2. Kaua`i - Great beaches, drives, hikes, and a very "outdoorsy" feel in general, but with nice resorts. Smaller than BI, but plenty to do.
3. Lana`i - Less to do, limited number of resorts (but VERY nice ones), not very many restaurants, great snorkeling and diving, reasonably good hiking. (Kind of remote and "boring" for some people, but we love it there.)
4. Maui - More developed, plenty of good resorts (big price range), lots of great beaches, hikes and drives, but lots more people everywhere. And more traffic than you might expect.
5. Oahu - LOTS of people, high-rises, traffic, but great resorts and shopping. Plenty of nature, but you have to drive to find it.

I left out Moloka`i, which is beautiful, but lost its only resort-type hotel this past year. I'd also recommend different islands -- or areas of islands -- depending upon when you're coming. For instance, I'd probably not pick Kona coast (Big Island) in the summer or Hanalei/Princeville (Kaua`i) in the winter. And recommending a specific destination would probably depend a little on where you're coming from on the mainland, what kind of landscape and atmosphere you're used to at home.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by whynot?; 03-28-2009 at 06:42 PM.. Reason: clarification

Old 03-29-2009, 09:38 AM

27 posts, read 107,944 times
Wow, I accidentally clicked "enter" and it posted a comment, so now I have to edit it and give my two cents. Hmm, what to say? (throws all the possible choices in a hat, and randomly picks one) Go to Maui! My opinion is obviously rather biased, considering the only island I've been to is Maui (several times I might add) but the sacred pools, the waterfalls, the road to hana, the beaches, i'd have to say you can't really pick a better location for a honeymoon.

Google is your friend, and so are these kind hearted pidgin speakin folk... I'm sure you'll figure it out, and enjoy every penny spent; whatever island you choose.

Last edited by Winter Hater; 03-29-2009 at 10:19 AM..

Old 03-29-2009, 12:50 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
For a week's visit, pick just one island. I'd suggest starting looking on the Big Island, Maui and Kauai first.

The other nice thing about a honeymoon in Hawaii is you don't have to explain your choice afterwards. Everyone knows it was a glorious choice. We live here, so a Hawaiian honeymoon just didn't seem like much of a getaway although why my DH thought six weeks in Connecticut was a better choice, I'm not sure.

Old 03-29-2009, 02:29 PM

1,178 posts, read 5,942,996 times
Default Take a survey, and find out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJingle View Post
Where is the best place in Hawaii to visit? I've been searching but I'm a little overloaded with all the information on the internet. We are looking to visit for about a week. Not so interested in really touristy stuff but would like to get out and hike, bike, and swim. It's a honeymoon trip; so a spa close by would be nice too.

Any and all information is appreciated....
It is really a very personal decision, and depends a lot on the kinds of things that are important to you.

Here is a survey you can take which will evaluate your "must have"s, and "not so important"s in reference to the special characteristics of each of the islands, and then rank them in order of YOUR preferences:

Best Hawaiian Island - Choosing an Island for your Hawaii vacation

Hank

Old 03-29-2009, 05:40 PM

1,467 posts, read 5,129,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HankDfrmSD View Post
It is really a very personal decision, and depends a lot on the kinds of things that are important to you.

Here is a survey you can take which will evaluate your "must have"s, and "not so important"s in reference to the special characteristics of each of the islands, and then rank them in order of YOUR preferences:

Best Hawaiian Island - Choosing an Island for your Hawaii vacation

Hank
Great link!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii