Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2021, 07:35 AM

4,515 posts, read 9,711,917 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I will be visiting hawaii soon. What are the places that is a must see or must go in Hawaii?

Also are you still able to hear coquis(small frogs) at night? When I was a kid I used to go to Puerto Rico and used to hear them. It would be nice to hear them again. If anyone knows where can I hear them, please let me know. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2021, 09:23 AM

30,679 posts, read 18,313,977 times
Coqui frogs are abundant on the Big Island, but are apparently in a few locations on Oahu, too. That said, I've never heard them in the 3.5 years I lived on island.

As for things to do, how long will you be on island for (this will factor into how much you can do).

Others on island now will have to chime in on what is still open, but some things that generally fall on people's list are (in no particular order):

-Waikiki Beach and activities in that area (to include catamaran tours, surfing lessons, etc.) as well as checking out some of the other beaches on island;
-Pearl Harbor historic sites;
-Various hiking trails, to include Koko Head (wouldn't encourage this hike if you are out of shape), Diamond Head (a much more forgiving hike), etc.;
-Checking out the "winter" waves at some of the North Shore beaches (I'm partial to Sunset Beach on the North Shore),
-Eating you way around the island (I'm happy to provide a list of places that I enjoy eating at);
-Polynesian Cultural Center (they had been closed due to the pandemic, but I think they may be open again now);
-Laie Hawaii Temple (LDS) Visitor's Center (if you're going to be in the area for at the Polynesian Cultural Center, you might as well);
-Visit the Byodo-In Buddhist Temple;
-Dole Pineapple Plantation tour (try the pineapple whip!);
-Snorkel at any number of hot spots;
-Attend a luau (the is a luau option at the Polynesian Cultural Center, though I've heard mixed things about it);
-Tour the Iolani Royal Palace;
-Deep sea fishing;
-Golfing (some people like to gold at every location they can, so just throwing it out there).

Where will you be staying at?

Old 01-31-2021, 11:00 AM

6,386 posts, read 4,848,794 times
Buy and read Oahu Revealed.https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=...sclient=psy-ab

Alternately, check out the reviews on Trip Advisor and YELP.

All of these sources will help you plan the perfect trip.

Old 01-31-2021, 11:15 AM

112 posts, read 97,340 times
To which Island are you travelling?

Old 01-31-2021, 11:44 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,951,354 times
You’d be better served by a travel site that actually specializes on these things.

Old 01-31-2021, 11:48 AM

5,528 posts, read 12,691,901 times
I suggest that you post on the TripAdvisor Oahu forum https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForu...hu_Hawaii.html

This forum is more oriented toward living in Hawaii, whereas TA is more about visiting. Although ProspectHeights gave you a good list of things to do!

Come on over to the Big Island. We are totally overrun by coquis.

Old 02-02-2021, 05:07 PM

4,415 posts, read 4,929,030 times
It's been so cold at night this last week, I've hardly heard them at all.

It is ironic that the coqui is the "celebrated" frog of PR but the "hated" frog of Hawaii. I actually like them so long as they're not actually on the side of the house. We cleared all the vegetation away from the bedrooms and the chickens did the rest. Lately its been the wild roosters waking me up.

Old 02-04-2021, 04:08 AM

3,382 posts, read 1,986,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
I suggest that you post on the TripAdvisor Oahu forum https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForu...hu_Hawaii.html

This forum is more oriented toward living in Hawaii, whereas TA is more about visiting. Although ProspectHeights gave you a good list of things to do!

Come on over to the Big Island. We are totally overrun by coquis.:crying:
Especially on the Hilo side. Most rentals provide ear plugs for visitors but I loved hearing them at night.

The recommendations by ProspectHeights are excellent for Oahu but will you be visiting other islands as well?
Are you content to spend days lounging in a beach chair mesmerized by the beauty of the water/beaches/mountains with a drink in hand (that would be my hubby) or do you prefer visiting cultural sites, museums and markets (that would be me ; )

I think you'll get more responses if you were a bit more specific as to your style of travel and what you enjoy doing. Although HI is one state, each island has its own identity.

Old 02-07-2021, 02:57 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,711,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfomd129 View Post
Especially on the Hilo side. Most rentals provide ear plugs for visitors but I loved hearing them at night.

The recommendations by ProspectHeights are excellent for Oahu but will you be visiting other islands as well?
Are you content to spend days lounging in a beach chair mesmerized by the beauty of the water/beaches/mountains with a drink in hand (that would be my hubby) or do you prefer visiting cultural sites, museums and markets (that would be me ; )

I think you'll get more responses if you were a bit more specific as to your style of travel and what you enjoy doing. Although HI is one state, each island has its own identity.
I'll stay in honolulu. Hmm I like a variety.I like restaurants, I like enjoy exploring cultures, shows, etc.. I want to visit cultural sites too, museums, and I enjoy sitting by the beach as well with a drink and just enjoying the beauty of the beach as well. I'll deff be checking out pearl harbor.

Old 02-28-2021, 02:30 PM

3,397 posts, read 2,815,735 times
Any COVID Testing recommendations...we are traveling end of March to Hawaii. The 72 Hour time frame to test and get results back is kind of quick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii